PDA

View Full Version : A quick question about shaper spindle use

rudy de haas
06-24-2015, 1:18 PM
hi:

The used shaper I bought (similar to G1026) came with 1/2, 3/4, and 1" spindles. It also came with some cutters - including
one that resembles Grizzly's C2075 - it's got a 5.5" diameter, what I'm guessing is a 15 degree face cut, and a 1/4" of carbide. It has "Galt 16" marked on it. However, it's bored for the 1 1/4" spindle - which I don't have. I did get various bushings with the unit, and it appears possible to put a bushing on the 1" spindle, drop the cutter over it, and use it - but is this really what people do? i.e. does it make sense to do this or should I ask the seller if he still has the larger spindle?

Rod Sheridan
06-24-2015, 1:25 PM
Many people use bushings for shaper cutters, if you have the correct bushings use it.

Check rated cutter speed versus speeds available on your machine. I doubt if a small cutter like that would be rated for a lower maximum speed than your spindle speed however always make sure of that..........Rod.

Peter Quinn
06-24-2015, 4:44 PM
The bushings you want to use are called T bushings, because they resemble a T in profile. They should have a 1" internal diameter, an 1 1/4" outside diameter and a flat washer type part that is larger than 1 1/4", typically 1 3/4" or better. I try to put one on each end of the cutter, one below and one on top. These keep the cutters rigid, and the 1" ID sleeve bushings that stack on your spindle will hold these to the spindle base. You need t bushings to hold a larger bore cutter to a smaller spindle, not sure from you description if you have the proper t bushings or not, but definetly don't just slip a cutter over a sleeve bushing, I'm guessing that's obvious, but I've seen people spin a cutter before that wasn't actually tightened down, can be scary, can weld itself to the spindle or bushing.

rudy de haas
06-25-2015, 10:14 AM
Thanks!

I have several bushings that fit, but none have an integrated top or bottom washer.

So, unless someone else has a better idea, I'll just pass on using this one -maybe see if I can trade it for one that fits a 1" spindle.

roger wiegand
06-25-2015, 10:35 AM
If you don't have the right bushing, I'd suggest you get one (a pair, actually). There are lots of 1-1/4" cutters around, it's one of the most common sizes. If you use your shaper much you're going to want to be able to use cutters that size. A pair of t-bushings will run you $20 e.g. < http://amzn.com/B0000DD12I>

Rod Sheridan
06-25-2015, 12:55 PM
Thanks!

I have several bushings that fit, but none have an integrated top or bottom washer.

So, unless someone else has a better idea, I'll just pass on using this one -maybe see if I can trade it for one that fits a 1" spindle.

Rudy, bushings are far less money than a new cutter.........Rod.

P.S. The bushings would also allow you to use other 1 1/4" bore cutters which are very common in North America.........

rudy de haas
06-25-2015, 2:09 PM
Yes - busybeetools has them and I'll pick some up on my next trip to Calgary.

J.R. Rutter
06-25-2015, 3:36 PM
You can use a single T bushing for thinner cutters or where you need to stack and just have a pair.