PDA

View Full Version : Any Engraver Using a Mac?

Keith Outten
08-15-2005, 8:20 PM
Anyone here using a Mac for engraving work?

Mike Mackenzie
08-15-2005, 8:44 PM
Kieth,

We have some customers using our systems with a mac what do you need?

Rob Littleton
08-15-2005, 11:21 PM
Anyone here using a Mac for engraving work?

A WHAT????? heh

Kevin Huffman
08-16-2005, 9:58 AM
Hey Keith,

I have one customer who is suppose to try Virtual PC on a MAC but hasn't gotten back with me about his findings. He probably gave up and bought a PC just to run the laser.

As long as you are able to install a windows printer driver and be able to send to a port, I don't see a problem with it.

Good Luck Keith,

Keith Outten
08-16-2005, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the replys guys but I'm looking for someone who owns an engraving busijness and is a member of SMC who uses a Mac. It could be just for graphics work, they don't have to use the Mac for sending files to their engraver.

Surely there must be at least one SMC engraver that uses a Macintosh computer.

Bob Tate
08-16-2005, 1:01 PM
I have a Mac right here on my desk. I use a Mac, all day, every day. What can I do for you?

Bob

Aaron Koehl
08-16-2005, 3:18 PM
What in the world...?

Keith Outten
08-16-2005, 3:22 PM
Bob Tate,

Do you own a laser engraver? I have a free gift for the first engraver who owns a Mac and responds to this thread.

Bob Tate
08-16-2005, 3:24 PM
Hi, yes, I have an Epilog Mini 18, 35 Watt. I use several IBM's and Macs to get the job done. I know some people have complained about Macs communication with Lasers, drivers not available, etc. I have the best of both worlds. I send from Mac and IBM to a RIP running on a IBM platform, converting everything to 1 bit TIFF's, greyscale or color. I can then send 1 bit TIFF's from anything and any machine handy. Pretty decent system but definitely not affordable for most people.

Bob

Peter Vasic
08-17-2005, 5:28 AM
We have a mac among 4 PC's. I use it for Photoshop/Illustrator/Freehand/and Sign work...always love its ease of use...

regards

Peter

Keith Outten
08-17-2005, 7:41 AM
Bob Tate,

Since you have the first response you are the winner.

JD Crowe of Tattoo-Art sent me a complete set of his engravers art and vector art CD's and asked me to give them away. The disks are formated for a Mac. There are 10 CD's of engraving art and 10 CD's of vector art and Crowe only asks that you post your comments concerninig his artwork here in the engravers forum.

I have a complete set of Crowe's CD's for the PC and have been using them for a couple of months now. I have volunteered to create Corel Draw CDR files that Crowe wants to include on his disks along with EPS, and TIFF files.

Send me your postal address and I will get your CD's in the mail ASAP.

Bob Tate
08-17-2005, 7:56 AM
Thanks Keith, that is wonderful. I saw some of those images and thought they were wonderful. I will e-mail the address. I will be glad to pay postage and any other expenses involved.

Thank you,
Bob

Aaron Koehl
08-17-2005, 9:06 AM
Wow.. Crowe is a very talented artist. Bob, congrats.

Bob Tate
08-17-2005, 9:36 AM
Thanks Aaron, I am excited. There is some pretty good stuff there. I am looking forward to it.

Bob

Keith Outten
01-13-2006, 8:08 PM
Bob,

Haven't heard from you since we sent you the Engraver's and Vector Art CD's. How are they working out?

Bob Tate
01-14-2006, 4:17 PM
Hi, and I apoligize for not getting back here with a report on the JD Crowe art. My business tends to run heavily in the wood products in Spring and Summer, and turns to the Awards and Recognition business in the Fall and Winter. I am just swinging back to the wood products.
JD Crowe is a talented person and does some wonderful Tatoo Art. I did not find it really suitable for laser engraving, at least not in the line of products I do. It is all basically Black and White. If processed with Phot grav, or by hand to create some Grayscale effects I did use some of it. The stores I cater to, and their customers, seem to walk right on by the tatoo looking stuff. I have found a wonderful niche market with jewelry boxes, keepsake boxes, poker chip boxes, etc. Nearly all of the things I do display engravings of Rocky Mountain wildlife, a really big hit with tourists.
The art is good, I just don't think it is targeted for laser engraving in particular, unless you have customers looking for stuff that looks like a tatoo.
I appreciate your sending the disks. I will be glad to return them to you at your request, or pass them along to another member if that is your desire. Peter Vasic jumped in here right after I did. If you would like, I will send them to him at my expense.
I have attached (or at least am attempting to) some samples from the disks, engraved in wood. If anyone has any questions, bring 'em on.

Keith Outten
01-14-2006, 9:37 PM
Thanks Bob,

I have used several of JD's graphics for engraving and lots of it is great stuff for CNC routing. There is an awefull lot of tattoo art in his collection which isn't surprising since he owns a tattoo business. What is funny is that all of the artwork was originally in color and JD converted it for his engraving and vector art CD's. In fact all of the art work is available on his web site in color still.

The vector art is also used for temporary tattos, they can be laser cut in thin acrylic sheet and sold as templates for air brushing, etc.

The CD's are yours to do with as you see fit.

Thanks again,

Keith