PDA

View Full Version : Note to self: yes, you CAN get hurt with hand tools

Frederick Skelly
06-23-2015, 10:58 PM
Finally got my new LV carcass saw out of the box. She's filed rip. Cut the cheek(?) of that tenon very nicely. Then I decided to use her to cut the shoulder. I'll tell ya truly, that didn't work worth a darn. Don't know what I was thinking using a rip saw for a cross cut.

Especially when she jumped out of the cut and put a 1/4" deep gouge right through my thumbnail and on into the meat.

Probably coulda used 2 stitches but decided to tough it out. It hurts.

Fred

Bruce Page
06-23-2015, 11:19 PM
Ouch! Hope it stops hurting soon.

Stew Denton
06-24-2015, 1:25 AM
Hi Fred,

It's been a long time, but I have cut myself pretty good with a sharp hand saw years ago.

Stew

Jim Koepke
06-24-2015, 2:54 AM
One has to be careful with a new tool.

Hope you heal well and soon.

jtk

Frederick Skelly
06-24-2015, 7:04 AM
Thanks guys. Like most shop accidents, after the fact you wonder "what was I thinking?" Thankfully, this was minor. Still a good reminder though.

Patrick Harper
06-24-2015, 7:20 AM
I'm always cutting my fingers with the sharp beveled edges of my chisels. After a bit of paring, I'll notice a bunch of paper-like-cuts on my index fingers from where I was guiding the chisel. You'd think I would have remembered to file the sides down by now.

lowell holmes
06-24-2015, 7:47 AM
I'm sorry about the injury, but the saw should be able to crosscut. My dovetail saw has made many crosscuts.

I've cut myself, not to the extent you did, many times with saws and chisels. It has been a while though.

Your post serves us to remind us to use safety in the shop. I always use eye and hearing protection, but maybe a bit careless in other things.

Zach Dillinger
06-24-2015, 8:19 AM
I almost lost the tip of my left pinky finger to a chisel (and my own ignorant ego). Thought I could balance a too-small blank of wood on end to split out a peg. I was wrong and stuck the thing in right at the fingertip joint. Very lucky to still have it. Chisels are the most dangerous shop tool in my opinion.

I'm always nicking myself, nothing too bad except for the above chisel incident and a brush with a sharp saw. You can count the TPI in an inch-long slice along my right pointer finger.

Mel Fulks
06-24-2015, 8:23 AM
A most painful way to add a new "rule of thumb" to woodworking. Indulge yourself with light schedule and good pain killer.

John Coloccia
06-24-2015, 8:43 AM
All of my woodworking related emergency room visits have been from hand tools....mostly chisels. I've been stitched up a number of time, to the point that one of the nurses recognized me. They always comment on how clean the cut is... "Looks like a scalpel! What did you cut yourself with?" And I just beam with pride. :D

James Pallas
06-24-2015, 9:29 AM
The worst woodworking injuries I have had came from a coping saw and a chisel each requiring stitches. I have concluded that that muscle memory has no idea what to do once the tool is loose. Both injuries were my own doing, the coping saw was too much hurry up and the chisel was the usual wrong placement of the hand hold. I hope you heal quickly but those injuries have a way of keeping your attention for a while. Probably a good thing, gives you a reminder about sharp tools.
Jim

Steve Meliza
06-24-2015, 10:12 AM
I have a scar on my left index finder to remind me that a bucksaw can skitter down a limb and hit the hand that is holding the work. I have a scar 1" from my left eye to remind me to not allow wood splitting wedges to mushroom and to wear eye protection even if you're not the person doing the work. No scars yet from power tools.

This is why Paul Sellers so frequently says that the reason for clamping his work in the vice is for safety. When you can get all of your body parts behind the tool your odds of getting hurt drop precipitously.

Bill Baethke
06-24-2015, 10:56 AM
I have used a rip saw for shoulders. Making a knife wall helps make a clean cut and keeps the saw in place.

Steve H Graham
06-24-2015, 11:09 AM
Thank you for not posting a photo.

David Ragan
06-24-2015, 11:11 AM
Probably coulda used 2 stitches but decided to tough it out. It hurts.

Fred

Sometimes its just easier in the long run to have the stitches. Less hassle overall. Less bleeding/bandage changes/risk of infection, etc etc.

Kent A Bathurst
06-24-2015, 11:36 AM
Fred, Fred, Fred........Fer cryin' out loud, brudda.........

All this time, and all these threads, and yet you STILL did not spend the extra money to get the saw that is hot-dog proof?

Do you even listen to us?

:D :D

Richard Verwoest
06-24-2015, 11:44 AM
No photos? Sorry, never happened.....
Seriously though, glad you will be ok.

Richard

Tom Stenzel
06-24-2015, 12:18 PM
One has to be careful with a new tool.

Hope you heal well and soon.

jtk

One has to be careful with OLD tools too.

Years ago I was fixing up the basement for my daughter's birthday party, cutting drop ceiling tiles with a utility knife and doing a fine job of it.

Shortly there was a doctor putting 5 stitches in the back of my left thumb- and doing a fine job of it!

I don't remember when it happened but I do remember after bandaging it up and before I went to the emergency room I watched the Germans take the gold medal in the 4 man bobsled. Don't remember the circumstances but I was rooting for the Germans to win, the only part of the day that came out right.

It's hard to keep a cut on the back of thumb closed up. Hope it heals up OK.

-Tom

Pat Barry
06-24-2015, 12:29 PM
My old ex-neighbor was a old carpenter - this was back in the 60's and I was still a little kid - but I remember his left thumb because most of it was missing from the end knuckle outward. He cut it clean off himself while sawing construction lumber. Apparently he was in a bit of a hurry.

David Ragan
06-24-2015, 12:35 PM
Fred, Fred, Fred........Fer cryin' out loud, brudda.........

All this time, and all these threads, and yet you STILL did not spend the extra money to get the saw that is hot-dog proof?

Do you even listen to us?

:D :D

What's the line about a dull tool is more dangerous than a sharp tool?? How does that work?:rolleyes:

Jim Koepke
06-24-2015, 1:55 PM
One has to be careful with OLD tools too.

[snipped]

-Tom

Yes, one has to be careful with ALL tools.

My intent was especially about any tool that is "new" to the current owner. Though even our old familiar tools can bite us if we get distracted or make a mistake. That is when they get me.

jtk

Jim Koepke
06-24-2015, 2:07 PM
What's the line about a dull tool is more dangerous than a sharp tool?? How does that work?:rolleyes:

A dull tool is more likely to be used with more force, due to its dullness.

In the case of a kitchen knife it may slide across a fruit or vegetable and sink into some skin of human. This can be compounded if the person is trying to push down on the knife and their hand slips off the end.

In the case of a saw it may jump out of a cut and bite the hand holding the work.

An axe is more likely to bounce off of its work.

Some of the danger is likely related to the increased force required to make a dull tool perform. Increase of effort = increase of tiredness. Being tired often has a role in accidents.

We need to be careful about taking care of our tools, using our tools and storing our tools.

jtk

David Ragan
06-24-2015, 2:18 PM
A dull tool is more likely to be used with more force, due to its dullness.

In the case of a kitchen knife it may slide across a fruit or vegetable and sink into some skin of human. This can be compounded if the person is trying to push down on the knife and their hand slips off the end.

In the case of a saw it may jump out of a cut and bite the hand holding the work.

An axe is more likely to bounce off of its work.

Some of the danger is likely related to the increased force required to make a dull tool perform. Increase of effort = increase of tiredness. Being tired often has a role in accidents.

We need to be careful about taking care of our tools, using our tools and storing our tools.

jtk

Let us all take notice and heed the Wisdom of Master Koepke:D

ONce upon a time, I was talking with a Special Forces guy, he said they always sharpened their knives for drill and inspection, but before they went out on missions (Vietnam), they always dulled the blades down a bit so they would do more damage when called upon.

Bruce Mack
06-24-2015, 4:49 PM
Most recently my finger found my draw knife while I was sharpening. Slight painful cut. Recurrent injury is from mechanics vise on my workbench. Releasing heavy handle to slide down on right little finger tip. Both dumb and avoidable by someone smarter.

Tom Stenzel
06-24-2015, 10:53 PM

For many years I was a front line supervisor. The techs assigned to me often called me a tool. There wasn't any specifications added if old, new, sharp or dull. Strange as it may sound I didn't ask, really didn't want to know.

I remember when Dylan came out with the album "Blood On The Tracks". If I ever come out with an album I could call it, "Blood On Darn Near Everything". And include hearing protection too.

-Tom

paul cottingham
06-25-2015, 12:55 PM
I couldn't get the image out of my head of my fingertips lying on the floor after a mishap sharpening a drawknife. (Just an image, hasn't happened yet. It references a comment Brian Bosworth makes in a video about sharpening a drawknife.) A buddy decided he needed to get me a gift for helping him get his network running at home (it's complex) and lo and behold, a Drawsharp is now part of my life.

Nice tool. I thought I was getting my draw knives sharp, but I was mistaken.

Sorry for the brag, but all this talk about cutting oneself (my fingers have had tons of little chisel cuts, fortunately, sharp chisels don't seem to scar as badly) made me think of it.

Mark Stutz
06-25-2015, 1:37 PM
I saw the Drawsharp demonstrated in Amana recently. Made me want to start using a drawknife for every project!

Stew Denton
06-25-2015, 8:29 PM
Hi Fred,

I have been following the tread with interest. Tom's comment reminded me about the time I cut myself with a utility knife, when I was in the process of cutting off a door. It is the worst cut I have ever had, at least that I remember right now, so a utility knife can do the job.

I am an equal opportunity person, however, and have cut myself with more than one type of tool. I don't discriminate against any sharp tool. If I use it, it has it's chance to cut me, just like any other tool. That said, chisels seem to have a leg up on some of the other tools.

Stew

Stew Denton
06-25-2015, 8:49 PM
Hi All,

Another thought to add to what Jim wrote. I do think Jim has stated the reason that dull tools are dangerous pretty well.

That said, I do have one thought to add to what Jim wrote. Seasoned woodworkers often are using sharper hand tools than folks who are less seasoned. The seasoned guys often have learned, sometimes from the school of hard knocks, what not to do. As such, they have learned how to avoid obvious ways to cut yourself. In my case I cut myself far more often, and more severely, as a young fellow than I do now.

What I am thinking here, as Jim pointed out, is that clearly sharp tools are easier to control safely, because less force is needed to use them for the same job. However, in addition, the sharper tools tend to be in the hands of seasoned woodworkers who have learned how to sharpen them to a keen state, and also have learned how to work them more safely.

Thus, dull tools are more dangerous for a second reason, they tend to be in the hands of less experienced folks.

Now that I have said that, I do have to confess that lately I have cut myself more often than I normally do, and most often just after I have gotten a tool nice and sharp, as in plane irons and chisels. I think I must have learned something over the years however, because at least now, however, most of my cuts tend to be minor nicks instead of sizeable cuts.

Stew

Brian Holcombe
06-26-2015, 12:05 AM
"Dull" tools are usually still quite sharp and will injure you, putting more force into whatever motion ends up injuring you means that you are more injured and injured with a tear, not just a cut.

Knock the sharp edges off of the sides of blades that are not doing any cutting and it will save your fingers from some real weepers. Sometimes I forget to do this....then I am reminded.

I gave myself a really wonderful cut with a paring chisel that veered off of the edge of something. So I always stay behind the cutting edge, and it's not always intuitive that you're ahead of the edge, so keep your head in the game. Luckily the cut healed well, but boy that one was nasty.

Michael Ray Smith
06-26-2015, 1:48 PM
I think I've had three injuries that called for more than a bandaid. Two lacerations and a puncture. The puncture and one of the lacerations were from chisels. The other laceration was just a few weeks ago -- I was trying to learn to use a bowl adze and whacked my wrist. Got four stitches and a bit of nerve damage from that one -- hopefully not permanent damage.

I think it was George Wilson who pointed out that you'll cut yourself more often with hand tools than with power tools simply because your hands are in closer proximity to the cutting edges. But the chances of a really serious injury are, IMO, quite a bit lower.

Andrew Pitonyak
06-26-2015, 8:32 PM
My experience is that when freshly sharpened, the saw is often more difficult to start, and, until you get used to it may jump out of the cut. Never had something as serious as you, but, have had a few close calls and minor ouchies because of it.

David Ragan
06-27-2015, 5:29 AM
Thus, dull tools are more dangerous for a second reason, they tend to be in the hands of less experienced folks.

Stew

Hey, now, that is not the tool's fault per se. In statistics, we call that something like a selection bias or reporting bias. ;)

Robert Engel
06-27-2015, 6:00 AM
I've had saws skip like that before and its usually because I'm forcing the cut.

I've actually gotten some pretty good nicks just mishandling a freshly sharpened blade.

New meaning to blood sweat and tears....

john zulu
06-27-2015, 11:10 AM
I have some battle scars myself all due to my silly mistakes. From Ryoba saw to marking wheel gauge. Chisel too while removing the tip cover. On a positive note, I have consistently learnt how to handle the tool better
each time I got bitten.

Frederick Skelly
06-27-2015, 11:26 AM
I've had saws skip like that before and its usually because I'm forcing the cut..

Yea, after thinking more about I realized that's exactly what I was doing. I think the rip was taking more effort to crosscut and I was forcing the cut. Then I had my hand in the wrong place - forward of where it should have been - and when it skipped I got bitten.

I get a nick almost every time I sharpen a plane iron or a chisel, much like you folks mention too.

Thanks for helping me to think through what happened guys!
Fred