PDA

View Full Version : What are "necessary" angles for a miter saw?

Mike Dowell
06-23-2015, 8:26 PM
I'm looking at this miter saw http://www.amazon.com/Makita-LS1018-Dual-Bevel-Compound-10-Inch/dp/B00K1AXGW8/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1435104368&sr=1-2&keywords=sliding+miter+saw&refinements=p_n_size_browse-bin%3A387627011#Ask .

I notice that it does not cut nearly the angle to the left as it does to the right. What are your thoughts on that?

There's also this one: http://www.amazon.com/Makita-LS1016L-10-Inch-Slide-Compound/dp/B0028Y4Q2O/ref=sr_1_6?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1435104368&sr=1-6&keywords=sliding+miter+saw&refinements=p_n_size_browse-bin%3A387627011#Ask But it's older(according to Amazon), and more money.

Thoughts?

Lee Schierer
06-23-2015, 8:36 PM
I don't own one, but I would think you would want equal angles on each side. You would also want detents at 22.5, 30 and 45 degrees.

Bill Orbine
06-23-2015, 8:41 PM
Generally you need up to 45 degrees and then some for sneak/tweak cuts. The 60 degrees listed have two big but not necessary purposes....sharp angles that come up in blue moons and for compact storage of saw when you closed up the saw at the 60 degree mark.

Chris Padilla
06-23-2015, 9:34 PM
The one you need for your project. :)

Martin Wasner
06-23-2015, 9:51 PM
55° is nice for cutting stair stringers, that's the only use I've had for going that far.

William A Johnston
06-23-2015, 10:10 PM
I own an older version of the same saw. I can tell you it is an excellent tool. I highly recommend learning how to use the compound feature for cutting crown as you can lay it flat on the bed and it comes out perfect every time. Also it will cut 12" shelving. You can't cut a 4x4 on it. It will be the last saw you own unless you go with a 12" slider which is a beast and hard to carry.

I think I paid around $500+ when I bought mine.
Bill

Mike Cutler
06-23-2015, 10:20 PM
Mike

Both of those saws are very highly regarded compound sliding miter saws. Either would be enough for most folks.
If by meaning that the angle is different on one side versus the other, you are talking about tilt. It is because the motor gets in the way and won't clear the fence.
In the 90 degree, blade to table, position I'm pretty sure both saws are the same left and right. Last one I used seemed to be the same left and right.
They are setup to cut compound angles from the left because of the motor.
Necessary angles for me are dead on at 90 degrees, and if possible 45 degrees. Usually the detents on the saws are a little coarse and require a little fine tuning if you expect to use it in the shop. My DeWalt will cut a dead on 90 degree cut. The 45 degree detent to the left is perfect. The one to the right not as good.
I don't use the 22.5 and 30 degree detents, but I'm sure framers and deck builders use these angles a lot.

Excellent saws,both.

Jerry Miner
06-23-2015, 10:31 PM
I notice that it does not cut nearly the angle to the left as it does to the right. What are your thoughts on that?

That is typical of miter saws. Originally, they only went to 45. Then the manufacturer's learned that people like to be able to cut higher angles. But there is a limit to how far you can swing the saw without conflicting with the fence, etc. so about 60 to the right and 50 to the left seems to be typical.

You can always make an acute angle jig for those rare occasions when you need to go further.

Mike Dowell
06-24-2015, 7:24 PM
That is typical of miter saws. Originally, they only went to 45. Then the manufacturer's learned that people like to be able to cut higher angles. But there is a limit to how far you can swing the saw without conflicting with the fence, etc. so about 60 to the right and 50 to the left seems to be typical.

You can always make an acute angle jig for those rare occasions when you need to go further.

Sounds good. I appreciate all of your input! I'm going to grab the LS 1018.

Thanks!