PDA

View Full Version : Bowl halves

Larry Dubia
06-23-2015, 5:43 PM
I am having a problem. I have a bowl that I rough turned with an ogee shape and roughed out the middle as well. I found it had a crack thrugh a pith in the upper side with a corresponding crack at the other side. The cracks are more or less in line to each other and offset from the center by asbout 1/3. I cut the bowl along the cracks to insert a thin piece of stock of contrasting color. I was able to glue up to one side but it will not glue flat to the other. Now I know you are going to ask if the bowl is flat, and yes, the surfaces are sanded flat to mate against the faces on all glue areas.

Now my question is, does anyone have a fairly good method to glue these up that might work. I had them on a flat surface but it didn't work out. I could use some help here. This is something I have never tried before.

Larry

Dale Miner
06-23-2015, 6:53 PM
Are the surfaces that you intend to glue flat and suitable for gluing?

If so and you are asking about a way to clamp the parts together, then I suggest hot melt gluing blocks to the halves to provide a purchase for the clamps. Once the titebond sets, the hot melt can be removed fairly easy.

Larry Dubia
06-24-2015, 12:00 AM
Yes they were prepared prior to the attempted glue up. I had not thought of hot melt and blocks. Thanks.

Dick Strauss
06-26-2015, 9:49 AM
Assuming that you have the surfaces dead flat to each other, lots of rubber bands and bungee cords can be your best friend. Also, plastic wrap rolls (3-4" wide) can be used to help self-align the franken-bowl during glue-up.

Kyle Iwamoto
06-26-2015, 11:33 AM
Please post pics after! This sounds like a great project and a great save!
Be careful when re-turning after glue up...... Sometimes the glue squeeze out is razor sharp!