View Full Version : PhotoShop Question

Pete Simmons
08-15-2005, 5:53 PM
Anyone had this problem? Any ideas?

I scan an image in.

Open it it PhotoShop. Looks good

Change it to greyscale Looks good

Save it. Close it.

Reopen same image - It looks different. Bad!

At first I thought it was Photograv that was the problem but then I reopened it in Photoshop and saw how bad the greyscale image looked.

HELP!!! Please.

Lee DeRaud
08-15-2005, 6:17 PM
Anyone had this problem? Any ideas?

I scan an image in.

Open it it PhotoShop. Looks good

Change it to greyscale Looks good

Save it. Close it.

Reopen same image - It looks different. Bad!

At first I thought it was Photograv that was the problem but then I reopened it in Photoshop and saw how bad the greyscale image looked.

HELP!!! Please.What format are you saving it in? I had a problem with several applications when saving grayscale images as .jpg files: there's a "antialiasing" option that really screws things up. Among other things, it introduces color artifacts at edges...my guess is that JPEG doesn't really do B&W/grayscale images, when reloaded it still thinks it's a 24-bit color image.

Pete Simmons
08-15-2005, 6:25 PM
I save it as Greyscale in BMP format 8 bit.

Just tried a photo I did a few weeks ago ( worked fine then ) and quess what. Same problem. It goes bad when saved as BMP.

Problem is Photograve needs bmp for input.

Lee DeRaud
08-15-2005, 6:59 PM
I save it as Greyscale in BMP format 8 bit.

Just tried a photo I did a few weeks ago ( worked fine then ) and quess what. Same problem. It goes bad when saved as BMP.

Problem is Photograve needs bmp for input.I know Photograv is specialized, but taking only BMP as input is a bit much.:mad:

I'm assuming you've tried saving/reloading the file in other formats and that works. Okay, if it's just that Photoshop has a problem outputting 8-bit BMP, there ought to be a semi-free file converter that will take some other PS output (GIF, JPG) and get a "good" BMP for Photograv. Come to think of it, Paint will do that...uh, you're on a Wintel machine right, not a Mac?

Pete Simmons
08-15-2005, 7:05 PM
Windows XP

I have been doing this for some months with no problems. All of a sudden ( today ) when converting to bmp it gos bad.

Looks good on screen but close the file and reopen it as the bmp and it has changed for the worse.

Tom Mullane
08-16-2005, 8:07 AM
Interesting problem... I have been using Photoshop for too many years to remember... currently using CS2 version...
I just took one of my color images and did a greyscale converion and then saved as bmp... the original was a jpg at 96dpi...
I had not problems with it...
Here are the two greyscale files and the original.. the one on the left is the BMP... I had to bring the resolution down so they would post..

mike wallis
08-16-2005, 4:03 PM
Hey Pete,
Quick question, when you engrave the image is it distorted like what your seeing in photoshop? If not it may be a video issue on your computer. I always view images in their actual pixels to get the true image look. If your not viewing in actual pixels goto-view, then actual pixels.

Hope this helps

Keith Hooks
08-16-2005, 4:20 PM
Sometimes when you don't view at an even zoom ratio 50%, 100%, etc, it looks crappy. You'll get the best quality while viewing at 100% magnification.