PDA

View Full Version : Forstner recommendation update

Brian Kent
06-22-2015, 10:51 PM
I use my forstners a lot. They are CMT and Freud. I use them drilling a couple inches into end grain of various hardwoods. I got the sharpening kit from Rocklers.

When I add another two bits, 1-1/2" and 1-3/4", I want them to last as long as possible.

Are your current recommendations Famag, Freud, & CMT?

Thanks,

Brian

Bruce Page
06-23-2015, 12:31 AM
My only experience is with the Freud carbide tipped and I don't use them that often... but they work really well. :rolleyes::)

gordy haycock
06-23-2015, 12:41 AM
I have been using the Fisch Hex Wave Forstner bits. I have them up through 2" and I have had no problems with them. I really like the wave design of the cutters and the hex bit doesn't slip in my drill press.

Evan Patton
06-25-2015, 12:56 PM
Famag got the top marks from FW, Grizzly was the best value. Famag bits are available from Traditional Woodworker (and they're not cheap)

ian maybury
06-25-2015, 1:31 PM
I have Famag Bormax and have found them to be excellent - but Colt should probably go on the list of good quality Forstners too. These guys in Germany have information on all of the makes mentioned here: https://www.fine-tools.com/forstnerbohrer.html

Mike Henderson
06-25-2015, 1:53 PM
If you use them a whole lot, then carbide tipped bits are probably the best solution. If that's too expensive, the Famag have been good bits for me, and I think the Colt is probably equally good, although I haven't used them.

Mike

Kent A Bathurst
06-25-2015, 2:34 PM
....... the Famag have been good bits for me, and I think the Colt is probably equally good, although I haven't used them.

I have. They are. I have both. Pick 'em.

Brian Kent
06-26-2015, 1:03 PM
OK, so I can be happy choosing FAMAG Bormax, Colt Maxi-Cut, and Fisch Wave-cutter.
I can't find adequate reviews of Carbide Forstners so I am going with one of these premium brands of steel.

Problem: I can't read the language to see which lines of these brands are High Carbon Steel and which are High Speed Steel.

I'll get a 1-3/4" forstner that I intend to use hundreds of times making 2 to 3" holes in end-grain hardwoods. Everything looks to be $37 to $55, which is fine. Can anyone who has one of these brands tell me if it is HCS or HSS?

ian maybury
06-26-2015, 2:06 PM
There's fairly comprehensive information on the Famag website: http://www.famag.com/en/Products.aspx

So far as i know the Famag forstners if not carbide are an alloy steel (possibly something a bit like an A2?) - but beyond that they probably won't be saying much about the metallurgy.

They may have rationalised the range a bit by now, but as of a few years ago there were several quality levels/capabilities available. Some local re-sellers probably may tend not to want to mention this.

Perhaps it would be worth a call or an e-mail to tech support at the factory outlining what you want to do and asking for a recommendation?

Brian Kent
06-26-2015, 6:03 PM
Thanks everyone. I found a Maxi-Cut made of M2 steel on Lee Valley. That's the combination I was looking for. Final price with shipping $58.35 for a 1-3/4" forstner.

Jack Lemley
06-26-2015, 11:45 PM
Brian,

I have a full set of Maxi Cuts and have been very happy with them. Got most of them when Woodcraft was closing them out.

Jack

Julie Moriarty
06-27-2015, 9:09 AM
I first owned CMT Forstner bits and hated them. Most of my router bits are CMT and I've always been happy with them, so I was surprised their Forstner bits weren't of the same quality. After they were stolen, I bought a set of Freud bits and love them!