PDA

View Full Version : CS blade sharpening?

Bob Johnson2
08-15-2005, 4:40 PM
I just ate through a #10 steel screw with my new WWII blade, sure did cut through it nicely.
Now I have to figure out if it dulled it or not, it looks and feels like it did no harm but while ripping a pile of oak yesterday I got more burning then I'd like when I slowed or stopped the feed to move my hands. I checked the blade to table and fence alignment and it's fine. Think I need to get it sharpened, or does yours burn the same? I didn't do any hard wood ripping till after the screw so I have no comparison.

Thanks

Andrew Ault
08-15-2005, 5:03 PM
I have not tried to cut screws with my WW2 so I cannot say whether it dulled your blade. :o I cannot imagine that is did the blade much good, but you already knew that.

However, I have ripped many feet with mine and can relate my experience with that. I have found that raising the blade about an inch above the stock reduced burning quite a bit on 4/4 stock. I have also found that smoothly advancing the stock is important to reduce the chance of burning. Of course, you need to take additional precautions when exposing that much blade above the stock. Using feather boards and other aids like Board Buddies can help when working alone. I also use a splitter and a zero-kerf insert for increased safety and reduced kickback danger. I do not presently have a blade guard, but plan to make one in the near future.

It is also very important to use a clean blade. Accumulated pitch on the blade will increase the chance of burning. I use CMT blade cleaner and it works well.

I have the 10" 40T thin kerf WW2.

Smooth, burn-free, safe cutting to you,
Andy

Jim Becker
08-15-2005, 5:12 PM
While sharpness is a concern, I'd be more inclined to worry about a tooth being losened or the blade being slightly bent/unbalanced by whacking that screw. Me....I'd send it in to Forrest to be checked out. (And I've done that in the past...darn it!)

Norman Hitt
08-15-2005, 6:21 PM
I have found that raising the blade about antypo inch above the
Andy

OK, Andy, I've just Gotta Bite, What new kind of Measurement is an "Antypo" inch? Is this some kind of new Greek numeral for a Metric/inch conversation measurement? I'm just not familiar with this term. :confused: :D :D

Andrew Ault
08-15-2005, 6:26 PM
That was evidence of misguided fingers correcting "and" to "an" and then clicking in the "reason for edit" field and typing "typo", and apparently getting out of sequence. One good typo deserves another...

Mea culpa.

Steve Clardy
08-15-2005, 6:29 PM
My experience from hitting nails and screws. Blades may cut a little while longer, but not for long. Send it out for a good sharpening and checkover.

Martin Shupe
08-15-2005, 6:37 PM
Send it to Forrest, and tell them what happened so they can check it when they sharpen it.

Safety first, but it probably needs sharpening too.

Unless you know of a good local sharpening service, I find it is worth it to send it to Forrest. They made it, and they know how to sharpen it.

Richard Wolf
08-15-2005, 8:18 PM
Bob, I seem to do that kind of thing all the time. Get something new and you just have to screw it up instantly. I have also cut more than my share of screws and unfortunatly have always needed to have the blade sharpened.

Richard

Bob Johnson2
08-16-2005, 8:07 AM
thanks all, off it goes.