PDA

View Full Version : Redsail M500 setup / settings issues

Ron Baldwin
06-22-2015, 6:19 PM
Hello,
After a lot of searching online with no luck, I'm hoping someone here may be able to help me. Last year I imported a Redsail M500 500mmx300mm 50w CO2 laser that I purchased from cnccheap on eBay. I've been away mostly since then for work, but I'm back home now and finally trying to get this thing up and running. So far, it's been rough going to say the least. I've emailed the person from cnccheap (Lucy) that helped me when purchasing the unit, but received no response. The included instructions are painfully lacking in information. They just list the various components of the machine and functions in the software, but don't actually describe how to do anything. It reads more like a table of contents rather than a full manual.
The included software is called LaserCutEngrave 3.3 (has anyone heard of this?). I've had very limited to no success importing AI, DXF, and almost every other file type it's *suppose* to be able to read.
But on to the bigger issue... whenever I attempt to set the origin or datum of the laser head it slams into the sides of the machine. It also does this when running any test files. I've tried various work table settings in the included software with no luck at all. Turning off auto datum and positioning the head manually doesn't help either. It's like the hardware and software are completely mismatched.
If there is a generous person out there that's familiar with these machines and can help with any recommendations or settings, I'd greatly appreciate it. I know these machines are relatively cheap, but it was a huge investment for me personally and I don't know where else to turn. Thanks for reading this!
Best,
Ron

Bert Kemp
06-22-2015, 7:23 PM
can we get some pictures of the machine with hood open and maybe a screen shot of the software open. Lasercut has a box marked immediate and if its not checked strange things happen as to were the laser head goes, don't know your software but maybe similar.

Ron Baldwin
06-22-2015, 8:17 PM

Bill George
06-22-2015, 9:16 PM
I have the same software and don't have a whole lot of issues with it. Remember when you are Importing files use BMP for rostering or engraving and DXF for vector or cutting. When you process the file use the Center as your Knife or Laser starting point. Load the file to the machine and use arrow keys to move the laser head to the Center of your material. Do your work if possible in the middle of the table. Press Run and your file will be ran from that point you selected.

There is So Much to learn, I searched and read here for months before my machine arrived. I had a lot of CNC experance and it still took a while... And I am still learning.

Don't change any of the machine setup parameters you have pictured in the first photos.

Ron Baldwin
06-22-2015, 9:40 PM
Thank you for the tips. Unfortunately, after manually centering the laser head to the center of my work piece, and setting the knife origin to center in the software, when I press Run the laser head still takes off to a different part of the table, often smashing and grinding into the sides of the machine. It then returns to a new position.
What should my work table setting be? It's a 500mm by 300mm table, but the default for the software is set to 1600 by 1000. However, it does show any measurement units. Am I to assume it's millimeters? I tried changing it to 500 by 300 but still get the same problem. Hmm...

Clark Pace
06-22-2015, 9:48 PM
So on my redsail a wire kept falling down and getting in the way of the momentary switch that tells the machine to stop x or y. I had to re glue it to the top of the laser.

Thank you for the tips. Unfortunately, after manually centering the laser head to the center of my work piece, and setting the knife origin to center in the software, when I press Run the laser head still takes off to a different part of the table, often smashing and grinding into the sides of the machine. It then returns to a new position.
What should my work table setting be? It's a 500mm by 300mm table, but the default for the software is set to 1600 by 1000. However, it does show any measurement units. Am I to assume it's millimeters? I tried changing it to 500 by 300 but still get the same problem. Hmm...

Kev Williams
06-23-2015, 1:36 AM
Couple of things I can't figure out--

Your default table setting is 1600x1000. (mm, it's Chinese ;) ) However, the layout screen work area is only 1/10th that, 160x100. What does the layout show for table size when you change it to 500x300? And, are you hitting the "save" button after changing it? If the machine thinks the table is 1600 long when it's only 500, it's not going to stop when slewing right. But if it's smacking the left side, then you likely have a limit switch missing, loose, broken, or in the wrong place. The machine has no idea where zero/zero home is without the switches...

Second thing, why does it appear your X axis rail is running very uphill to the right?

Scott Marquez
06-23-2015, 2:05 AM
I have a slightly different program, Lasercut 5.3.
I would suggest changing your table size to the appropriate size in mm, save your settings then " upload config" which will save it to the laser. I had a similar crashing problem until I learned that you had to hit the upload config button.
Is your gantry out of square?
Scott

Ron Baldwin
06-23-2015, 4:20 AM
You guys are great. Wish I could buy you all a beer. After changing the table size to 500x300, the layout shows 50x30 and I still get the problem with the cutter hitting the sides of the enclosure. I tried changing it to 160x100 and predictably the layout in the software shows a 16x10 graph. However, with this setting I was able to actually engrave something without the cutter slamming into the sides but, at higher speeds weird things start to happen. I was engraving text and the top half of the letters were all shifted over by a few inches. It seems like the belt may be slipping. ? At slower speeds this didn't happen, yet there were a few additional engrave marks and lines that weren't suppose to be there. Even with these problems, it sure is exciting to make some progress finally!
As to the questions about the gantry looking funny in the photo, yes, it had come out of alignment after slamming into the side of the machine. I was able to get it square again and it seems ok. The limit switches seem to be intact and functional. Not sure why they weren't preventing the cutter from hitting the sides.
Also, Lucy from cnccheap just emailed me about these problems. She sent me screen shot I've attached. Although it's in Chinese, it seems clear that she's asking me to change the pulse unit in the work table settings. Does this seem right?
Again, thank you all for the help. It's really appreciated!
~Ron

Bill George
06-23-2015, 7:32 AM
You need to send all your emails through Ebay. That way you will get response's, your other hope is someone with the exact same machine is on here and can post the correct settings.
My software is the same as yours, but the machine is different.

After the machine is hammered the carriage into the stops a few times I would expect some damage.

Bill George
06-23-2015, 7:49 AM

Setup screens from mine, I do not have the Z or U axis so the second screen may not be worth anything as info you can use.
I also have the exact same controller card, as listed in one of your screen shots, a LS2400, which is kind of either a new one or at least rarely used.

Ron Baldwin
06-23-2015, 7:54 PM
Thank you Bill! Still working through things here. I will report back.
~Ron

Bill George
06-25-2015, 8:17 AM
So, Ron did my settings help? It looks to be the same kind of anyway machine.

Ron Baldwin
07-03-2015, 4:51 AM
Very sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I finally had a chance to try your suggested settings, but unfortunately they did not help. It's like the software inside the machine thinks the work table is bigger than it actually is. With "autodatum" turned off, the laser head will return to its origin when I press stop. However, when I try to engrave anything or use autodatum, the laser head takes off and still runs into the side of the machine. I got smart to this pretty early on, so now I just hover above the stop button and press it right before it hits. I have set the work table and origin settings properly in the software, and downloaded them to the machine, yet this still keeps happening. Redsail also sent me suggested settings but those don't work either. At a loss here. Further suggestions from anyone would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your time,
Ron

Ron Baldwin
07-03-2015, 4:59 AM
After rereading this thread and everyone's suggestions, it seems like my limit switches aren't working, as suggested by Mr. Kev Williams. They are mounted properly, and seem sound mechanically, but the machine doesn't act like they're there. It's like the message of the switch closing doesn't actually get to the controller. I can hear the mechanical click of the switch as the laser head moves into it, yet the head keeps on going right into the side. Hmm...

Scott Marquez
07-03-2015, 11:00 AM
Create a square in your laser program, say 50mm by 50mm, cut it out, measure and let us know what your actual cut dimension is.
Scott

Ron Gosnell
07-03-2015, 5:40 PM
Hi Ron,

Lets start at the very beginning. When you first turn on your machine does it go to a corner nicely and find it's home position ?
What corner does it go to ? Does it slam into the corner or does it stop when it's supposed to ?
After that does it go to the origin you have set ? Question 1 is the most important for now.

Gozzie

John Thomson
12-27-2015, 8:52 AM
Make your work area 1mm less in both the x and y axis then you must upload the .cfg file to your laser overwriting the default settings.

I have an X700 that came from cnccheap 5 years ago and once set up is an excellent machine.

John

Clark Pace
12-27-2015, 11:33 AM
Cheapcnc if believe if the offical account of redsail. I asked if it was them sometime ago. I email them directly myself and have always gotten a pretty quick response rememberint the time diferencd. Try a direct email