PDA

View Full Version : Router Workshop

Keith Christopher
08-15-2005, 4:40 PM
Anyone watch these guys ? I like what they're doing and it's cool they use mostly routers for their projects. However these two scare me. I mean they whip and I mean whip the stock on the router table. Like if they were line chef's with alot of angry customers. This could be because of time constraints but MAN looks dangerous to me. I also love their "precision" fences. I bet these two scoff at incra and jointech.

My hats off to them, I like the show (sometimes) but guys. SLOW down.

Keith

Ken Fitzgerald
08-15-2005, 4:43 PM
Keith....I watch them every Saturday morning and have for a couple of years. The father is awfully skilled. If you watch them often enough, you'll notice the father is really diligent about safety. He always uses a safety "pin" when using a bit with a bearing and no fence. They also always use a tool when using small parts through the router when using a fence. I've learned a lot about using a router by watching them.

Keith Christopher
08-15-2005, 4:51 PM
Ken,

I agree they esp the father are skilled. And I meant it when I said I love their fences. But I always worry when people move stock that quickly through a machine.

Keith

Steve Clardy
08-15-2005, 4:58 PM
Guess I don't get that channel. What channel is it on?

Bernie Weishapl
08-15-2005, 4:59 PM
Keith,

Where do you watch the router workshop? Is it on DIY? Thanks

Bernie

Keith Christopher
08-15-2005, 4:59 PM
It's on public television here in Md.

Mike Kelly
08-15-2005, 5:13 PM
I met Bob for the first time in 1985 at a woodworking show in Houston. I last saw him at the big show in Atlanta three years ago. He was using aromatic cedar in 1985 for his demos. He may be using Wood Stalk now. At any rate he is using proper feed rates and like Ken said, he is very safety concious. He has more router time than 20 or 30 of us will have in a lifetime. His products are good and I bought my first Incra Jig from him. I think it was the first one they made, and it was out of plastic. Worked just fine with his fence and table. He was making sliding dovetail joints with it. He has his own methods for "adjusting" things that do work without a lot of setup. I don't think he would scoff at any method or product. I had a prototype CNC machine at the 1986 show in Houston and he came over and gave me a bit that worked a lot better than the one I had for what I was doing. He is interested in all router based equipment believe me.

Norman Hitt
08-15-2005, 5:22 PM
I've watched them Regularly on PBS here on Saturdays ever since they have been on our channel, maybe 3 or 4 years now, just can't remember how long. It's probably my favorite WW show even though some operations they do with the router, honestly are more effectively/easier done with other tools, (kinda like Jim Tolpin's manual showing how to cut a circle on a table saw). I just wish their sponsor, (and other WW show sponsors), would increase the time length of the programs so they could slow down a little. It's really strange that the "Sewing/Quilting" shows are long enough that they can drag out every word of every sentence when describing a layout/cut/stitch operation and then hold them up and talk endlessly about every detail, but the WW shows have to RUSH every operation and then seemingly it gets Further edited before airing. :mad: I guess there must be more Profit in the Sewing paraphenalia they sell, than the WW tools & equipment.

I've sure picked up a lot of tricks from those guys, and I have and use their router table and Some of their fixtures, (a x-mas gift from family 3 years ago).

John Hemenway
08-15-2005, 5:35 PM
One of the 'issues' I have with this show is the way they show every cut on every part. If you show setup of and mortise of one leg, you don't have to show it THREE MORE TIMES! They'd have more time to explain/slow down if they, like Norm, did just one of a repeat part.

Also I like the processes they show, I'm not that impressed with the design of the final products. They need to hire a designer!

Keith Christopher
08-15-2005, 5:45 PM
Mike/company ,

I think you'e taking my comments in the negative. The only thing I thought was a negative was the speed they move around. The scoffing part was a compliment saying how they can do so much without things like Incra or Jointech. It was not an attack on their personality. Sorry if I offended anyone's sensibilities.

Jim Fancher
08-15-2005, 5:51 PM
Does anyone in the Houston area have a clue when or if they show it locally? I have yet to find it.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-15-2005, 5:51 PM
Keith....I didn't think you were "bad mouthing" them. I think the one thing that I've learned from them is that there is more than one way to skin a cat. For example, before watching their show, I never realized the value of a sliding dovetail for attaching so many different parts on furniture. The jigs they use, the proper techniques for using jigs (router direction), the way to always if possible cut down the grain rather than up the grain to avoid tear out.....a lot of things. Their show has definitely improved my use of the router.

Lou Morrissette
08-15-2005, 7:11 PM
I occaisionaly watch their show on PBS and am impressed with the amount of work they do with so little equipment. The Dad's no nonsense/no frills approach to getting the job done has influenced the way I do things. Good show.

Lou

john whittaker
08-15-2005, 7:35 PM
For those of you who watch the show, this humorous story...

My first major "tool" was a router, shop made table & fence. Most of my early instruction came from "The Router Workshop". I taped the shows and watched them regularly. Wife thought I was crazy just sitting in from of the TV listening to the buzzzzzzz. One day I was out in the shop and went to grab my hammer hanging on the wall. On the handle was a big stick on label that read....."Fine Adjustment Tool". I guess I'm not the only one who picked up something from old Bob. And it's good to know that even though she thinks I'm a "little off", she still listens.

John Hemenway
08-15-2005, 7:56 PM
And it's good to know that even though she thinks I'm a "little off", she still listens.

Um, if she thinks you are 'a little off', she might one day need to resort to the 'fine adjustment tool' to put you right again. :p

Corey Hallagan
08-15-2005, 8:35 PM
I wish we got that show here. I was out of town over the weekend some where and saw the show. The router has always been my favorite tool.

Corey

Michael Ballent
08-15-2005, 9:49 PM
I wish we got that show here. I was out of town over the weekend some where and saw the show. The router has always been my favorite tool.

Corey

I seem to remember that BYU TV shows it on Dish Network. I found by doing a search through the directory list... You may have if you have Dish Network and probably DirectTV.

Joe Mioux
08-15-2005, 10:29 PM
I seem to remember that BYU TV shows it on Dish Network. I found by doing a search through the directory list... You may have if you have Dish Network and probably DirectTV.

BYU TV....hmm what time and day is it on?

Those channels "up there" don't get turned on much in our house. You Dish ppl will know what I mean. I do occaisionally take in the RFD and the PBS-U channels but that is about it.

Joe

Michael Ballent
08-15-2005, 11:26 PM
BYU TV....hmm what time and day is it on?

Those channels "up there" don't get turned on much in our house. You Dish ppl will know what I mean. I do occaisionally take in the RFD and the PBS-U channels but that is about it.

Joe

I know what you mean about "those channels" ;) I would have never located the show until I did a search for it... Just took a look at BYU TV WWW site and it looks like its on Saturdays at 3pm MST

Plate Hutch and Server: Hutch - Part 1
Air date: Saturday, August 20, 2005 3:00:00 PM MST
This three-part project features angled legs, dovetails for the drawers, and molding.

I guess that I need to reschedule the DVR :D