PDA

View Full Version : So, how much should a new 3Ton Heat Pump system cost, anyways? $16,600?

Todd Burch
06-22-2015, 9:47 AM
It always scares me when an HVAC company has dedicated sales people.

We have 3 heat pumps in the house. The main living area/kitchen heat pump has been out since we bought the house (Nov '14). It was very cold this last winter, and it's starting to get hot this summer.

We had an HVAC company come out to add some freon to one of our systems ($470 for 3 lbs. Ouch) and they gave us a bid on a replacement heat pump. We have Carrier and this was for a Lennox XP25. Apparently, it's a top of the line system. $16,600, with a $1100 rebate would make it $15,500. 21.5 SEER

The second system they bid was a Lennox XP16. 16.5 SEER. Only $13,500 after rebate. Ha. Only.

These prices are to remove the old compressor and evaporator/fan and put new ones in. Reusing the existing breaker, copper tubing, plenum, drain lines and rigid ductwork. Both bids also included installing a second 12X12 return air duct neat the ceiling. Easy decked attic access, plenty of room to work and good light.

Do these prices sound in-line with going rates?

Jerome Stanek
06-22-2015, 11:26 AM
sounds very high to me

Steve Peterson
06-22-2015, 11:49 AM
We paid about $8K for a 5 ton unit about a year ago. I forget the brand, but it was one of the major ones. Higher SEER units would have been more money. This included the outdoor unit plus the coils in the attic. The blower, ducts, and pipes did not need to be changed.

It sounds like you should get an extra bid or two. Your first bid sounds high.

Steve

Phil Thien
06-22-2015, 12:00 PM
It sounds like you should get an extra bid or two. Your first bid sounds high.

Steve

Yeah and they're gouging for refrigerant, aren't they?

And that is a lot of refrigerant to add, isn't it?

Matt Meiser
06-22-2015, 1:04 PM
Probably R22 which is being phased out and the price is skyrocketing. We have a hail damaged R22 unit that may not be feasible to repair. We can put in a new 10 SEER R22 condensor only and charge it with R22 or for about $650 more we can put in a complete 13 SEER R410a system. The cost difference in the refrigerant eats up a big chunk of buying and installing the new A-coil and lineset.

Phil Thien
06-22-2015, 1:17 PM
Probably R22 which is being phased out and the price is skyrocketing. We have a hail damaged R22 unit that may not be feasible to repair. We can put in a new 10 SEER R22 condensor only and charge it with R22 or for about $650 more we can put in a complete 13 SEER R410a system. The cost difference in the refrigerant eats up a big chunk of buying and installing the new A-coil and lineset.

I've been watching R22 and contractors can still buy it for about $10 a pound. Like here:

http://www.amazon.com/R22-Refrigerant-30-Disposable-Tank/dp/B00F06NDS0

Matt Meiser
06-22-2015, 1:33 PM
Maybe, but they won't sell it to you for anything close to that here.

Steve Kinnaird
06-22-2015, 1:44 PM
Sounds very high to me.
My friend that owns an A/C company was talking with me about upgrading the house system and the cost was around $4000
Keep in mind that is probably cost or near cost with no labor. But profit and labor shouldn't be $10,000

Phil Thien
06-22-2015, 1:52 PM
Sounds very high to me.
My friend that owns an A/C company was talking with me about upgrading the house system and the cost was around $4000
Keep in mind that is probably cost or near cost with no labor. But profit and labor shouldn't be $10,000

Yeah if that is an entirely new unit with new coil, I think he is cutting it to the bone for you.

Good friend, though.

Steve Kinnaird
06-22-2015, 3:47 PM
Yeah if that is an entirely new unit with new coil, I think he is cutting it to the bone for you.

Good friend, though.

I am sure he is. But a $10,000 + difference sound pretty high

Scott Hearn
06-22-2015, 4:06 PM
Me thinks you need another quote or three.

I had my entire system replaced a couple of years ago for $14K. That was a Carrier outside condenser unit (16.5 SEER 3.5 ton) and a matching 85k BTU gas furnace that was state of the art at 96% efficiency. Also they moved the furnace/air handler unit from the garage closet to the attic, built a platform for it in the attic, wired and installed a light (platform and light is code required), ran all new ducts and returns, ran all new refrigerant lines and drain, and filled my floor vents with concrete. He told me what two others did, and that was the really ultra high efficiency condenser units are so expensive you will never get payback out of them. Granted this isn't a heat pump but you might investigate that some. At any rate it seems your quote is crazy high based on the work I had done, it took them 2.5 days to do my install. Ductwork was first day and they had a crew of at 7, I wasn't here after that due to work but the wife had no problems.

Todd Burch
06-22-2015, 4:17 PM
Second of 4 estimates are in. $9,060 for a Trane 18 SEER 3 ton w/ 10 year parts & labor. Better.

James Gunning
06-22-2015, 6:34 PM
I had a completely new Carrier XP-21 a/c and heat pump system installed last August. This was a complete system, compressor, condenser, new copper piping, pad for the compressor, all the installation. Ducts were reused and a new second return was installed. It replaced a 10 year old Trane system that had an unrepairable coil. I can't find the paperwork right now, but the unit was 3 tons and the installed cost was about $8500. Rebates brought this down to about $7400. The cost of the service call to diagnose the problem was taken off the final bill. It sounds like the prices you were quoted were sky high. The XP-25 is certainly more expensive, but not that much. I love the new system and would put it in again today if I needed to.

Mike Null
06-22-2015, 9:06 PM
Not a heat pump but I replaced my central air system and gas forced air furnace last year for $8500. I replaced the gas furnace because the efficiency and rebate would save considerable over the years. My house is 2500 sq. ft. plus basement in St. Louis.

The air conditioning unit was placed in a better location and is much quieter than the previous one as well.

Jim Becker
06-22-2015, 9:12 PM
Yea, keep getting quotes...those first ones were "over the moon" high. Worry less about brand name and more about efficiency and warranty. (And be sure to buy the little extra labor rider to go with that warranty...which typically only covers parts beyond a year or so)

Both of our unit are Amana; one installed in 2008 with our addition and the other installed as a replacement when the basement in the 250 year old portion of our home flooded in a hurricane in 2011. I didn't know that Amana branded HVAC systems, but my contractor likes them and the cost was below whomever is actually manufacturing them. His labor rider was a whole $99 to cover labor for the entire warranty period.

Mike Null
06-22-2015, 9:18 PM
Mine's Amana also. Chances are good that Amana built the entire unit. Only a guess.

Brad Adams
06-22-2015, 10:06 PM
Amana is owned by Goodman Global. The Goodman and Amana line are basically like Ford and Mercury.