PDA

View Full Version : Quick TS Sled Accuracy Adjustment

Mike Vermeil
08-15-2005, 4:19 PM
This tip is so simple it's almost stupid, but it's saved me a bunch of hassle, and after using it again this morning I thought I'd pass it along:

If you're like me, you're constantly chasing the accuracy of your table saw crosscut sled due to changes in humidity, etc. I got tired of nudging the fence around, and pulled out the automotive-style feeler gauge. By attaching it to the end of the fence with some tape, it skews the panel in relation to the blade, making up for any inaccuracies in the sled itself. Each time I get ready to crosscut large panels, I check the first cut for accuracy, and change the thickness of the feeler gauge if necessary. I rarely change the gauge, so I guess one of these days I should address the sled itself. This tip gets me by very well however.

Obviously, you need to cut from the side of the sled with the feeler gauge, and pre-cut so only a small amount or no offcut is left on the opposite side of the blade, but this is my standard mode of operation anyway.

FYI - I've got a 0.009" feeler gauge in there today.

Hope this helps someone.

Mikie

Walt Pater
08-15-2005, 9:02 PM
Mike, I do the same thing, but I shim a 1/2" ply sacrificial fence across the length of the permanent fence. I use index cards. Good to know great minds think alike (or is that 'fools never differ?') :)

Alan Turner
08-15-2005, 9:12 PM
There, and elsewhere, a pack of 51 playing cards are never far away.

Michael Cody
08-15-2005, 10:52 PM
why not put in a screw to adjust .. use a 10-32 with a lock nut glued into the fence. That would give you 1/32" per turn (quite fine adj really) Then you can put your second sacrificial fence in place and just adjust the screw instead of shimming. Lock nut holds it tight, nothing to tape, nothing to lose. Your mileage may vary since I've not tried this but it should work fine.