PDA

View Full Version : Should I engage the plunge base when stored

Ellery Becnel
06-22-2015, 3:17 AM
I built a box for my router combo kit. Not realizing that it was in the plunged depth mode when I took the
measurements. My concern is that if I store it in its max depth engaged mode, it will weaken the springs
over time. I have searched the net, and found nothing. So now I am asking the experts. Does it matter?
I can use the box for another tool. Thanks for everyone's input.

Ellery Becnel

Rich Engelhardt
06-22-2015, 6:29 AM
Springs are under the same stress whether they are compressed or uncompressed....so...store away w/out any fear.

Please don't ask me to explain why, I'm just restating what I learned about how to store things like auto knives (aka:switchblades) and magazines.

What wears out springs is going from one state to another.

Jim Matthews
06-22-2015, 8:08 AM
Proper lubrication should be considered.

If you've got moving parts and a damp environment,
rust is inevitable. If you have the original box
and some desiccant packs (available from Lee Valley)
that should help keep things dry.

If you're stuck, get a large ziploc bag and mist in a little WD40
before sealing everything inside.

pat warner
06-22-2015, 9:59 AM
In fact, when at rest, given no cutter, always plunge to max depth and lock.
Keeps the plunge posts oil-wet and protected from impact.

Bill White
06-22-2015, 10:55 AM
Springs "store" energy. Won't hurt at all.
Bill

Mike Cutler
06-22-2015, 12:28 PM
Young's Modulus, and Hooke's Law, say you're good to go. Either way it's stored, none of us will live long enough to see the difference. ;)

It sounds like and interesting storage unit. Would you mind posting a pic? I'm always looking for more efficient ways to store tools and accessories.

Ellery Becnel
06-22-2015, 12:54 PM
Thanks everyone. I will post the pics . I want to arrange some internal partitions to keep things from rolling around.

Ellery Becnel

johnny means
06-22-2015, 1:13 PM
I've seen a couple of the big Porter-Cable plunge routers break when they unexpectedly "unplunged". For this reason, I store mine in the extended state.