PDA

View Full Version : Truing recess tenon

Sonny Kemp
06-21-2015, 8:30 PM
Ive got a new Nova 1624-44. Ordered it with a supernova2 chuck,and it came with the 50mm jaws.I went to finish turn a bowl I had roughed out with a recess tenon for the 50 mm jaws and there is not enough room between the side of the toolrest housing before the handle hits to get my parting tool square with the tenon to true it up.Guess I need to make larger tenons from now on but what to do with the dozen Ive made with these 50 mm recesses? I cant go back to my old lathe because it was a mini and these are all over 10inches and wont mount up.Any solutions? :confused:

Sid Matheny
06-21-2015, 8:49 PM
Some pictures would help us understand the problem better.

Sonny Kemp
06-21-2015, 8:57 PM
Some pictures would help us understand the problem better.
Thanks Sid ,Ill get some may be when I get to work in the morning.Im old and dumb.lol

robert baccus
06-21-2015, 10:39 PM
Bring up the tailstock with a small flat tip on it. Reshape all but a nubbin in the center and sand it off later.

Pat Scott
06-22-2015, 9:59 AM
Agreed that pictures would help. If I understand what you're saying though, is the tool handle getting in the way of the tailstock so you can't true up the original recess? If so can you just cut a new larger recess? Or can you cut a tenon that is larger than your recess. A tenon doesn't have to be very deep. You can cut a shallow groove for a tenon that is higher up the bowl (above the recess), then remove the recess.

Dennis Ford
06-22-2015, 10:04 AM
You may have to grind an angle on one of your tools to handle this issue.

Paul Williams
06-22-2015, 10:40 AM
If I understand your issue correctly, you could turn a cylindrical glue block the size of your recess then grab the glue block with the SN2 jaws in the contracting mode instead of the expanding mode.

Sonny Kemp
06-22-2015, 10:48 AM
Agreed that pictures would help. If I understand what you're saying though, is the tool handle getting in the way of the tailstock so you can't true up the original recess? If so can you just cut a new larger recess? Or can you cut a tenon that is larger than your recess. A tenon doesn't have to be very deep. You can cut a shallow groove for a tenon that is higher up the bowl (above the recess), then remove the recess.

That's exactly what it is Pat.I wrote tool rest interferes with handle of tool instead of tailstock in the op.I can do what you suggest I think and in the future make recess big enough to use with larger jaws.Seems a shame not to be able to use my 50 mm jaws with a recess for a finished bottom on smaller projects though.Im in process of getting pics up Thanks for your reply

Dan Forman
06-22-2015, 2:47 PM
I have found this tool to be very helpful in those situations, there usually is room to get it to where it needs to go when re-truing. Nova Dovetail Chisel - Power Lathe Accessories - Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/Teknatool-Nova-Dovetail-Chisel/dp/B003CMKPTY) Because of the shape of the cutting head, you don"t need to come at the bowl from the far side of the lathe like you would with a more traditional tool.

Allan Ferguson
06-22-2015, 4:03 PM
I second Dan's solution. I use one regularly.

john taliaferro
06-22-2015, 6:17 PM
I think mine is a sorby , gotta keep it sharp . When i load tools to go its the first in the bag.