PDA

View Full Version : texturing tool or chatter tool

jeff oldham
06-21-2015, 7:42 PM
anyone have either or both of these tools and which one do you prefer and what brand do you like,,thank you

Bill Bulloch
06-22-2015, 7:22 AM
I have both kinds, but don't have too much luck with the chatter tool. I have the "small" Sorby Texturing tool and the Wagner and like them both.

William C Rogers
06-22-2015, 7:54 AM
I have large Sorby texturing tool. It does take time to get it to work. I haven't used it all that much. Not sure I would buy it again as it is expensive.

Thom Sturgill
06-22-2015, 8:00 AM
I made a chatter tool and have used the smaller Sorby and the Wagner. The Sorby is on my BUY list.

The chatter tool works OK on end-grain hard wood, so could be used on box tops or kids tops. The Sorby is a cutting disk and works in more grain orientations and seems to make a cleaner impression. The Wagner is an embossing tool and creates depressions with pressure. As such it works well in side grain for creating texture on a handle.

Pat Scott
06-22-2015, 9:55 AM
Aren't the Texturing and Chatter tool two different types of tools that do completely different things? I have the Sorby Texturing tool which makes an orange peel pattern and that's all. I also have the Sorby Spiraling tool which has different wheels to produce spirals and orange peel Texture. I haven't used a Chatter tool but I thought depending on how the tool is presented, lathe speed, wood density, etc., that it can produce different patterns (but none of which are an orange peel or spiral)? The Wagner Texturing tool produces a crosshatch pattern (and that's all), by pressing the tool hard into the wood in order to dent or impress the wheel pattern into the wood. 3 or 4 different tools for 3 or 4 different effects.

Kyle Iwamoto
06-22-2015, 11:56 AM
What Pat says. They are all different tools.

Many people make a chatter tool, I have 3 different brands, I don't think any is "better" than the other. It only works in end grain, for a box lid or spining top for example. Some sell different "cutters", round, bead and "V". They obviously will make different patterns.

I have the Sorby spiraling and texturing tool. It works really well, for it's application. Personally I don't care for the texturing effect. The spiraling effect is great though. You can get a different texture if you turn the spiral cutters on edge. Not a cheap tool..... Oh, only works in hard wood.

John Keeton
06-22-2015, 12:08 PM
The Wagner tool will work on end grain and side grain, and will also create a spiral similar to the Sorby if held on edge and tilted. Also, the Sorby spiraling tool will produce an opposite direction spiral if presented to the wood at a direction away from center.