PDA

View Full Version : Good source of 8/4 Mahogany or Sapele

Alan Lightstone
06-21-2015, 9:01 AM
I know I'll likely have to ship, but I'm wondering if anyone has found a particularly good source of 8/4 mahogany that I can get shipped to me in the Tampa Bay area. I've always wanted to make a pair of Titanic Deck Chairs, and now am going to plunge in. Not going to make them out of teak, since I don't want to mortgage the house.

I see West Penn Hardwoods has 8/4 Honduran Mahogany for $9.50/BF, it looks like East Teak and Woodworkers Source ($10.99/BF) can provide it too, and I'm waiting for a bid from J McIlvain. Bell Forrest Products, where I order much of my wood, doesn't seem to carry either in 8/4.

Anyone have any other suggestions, or good experience from the suppliers above.

Jerry Miner
06-21-2015, 11:31 AM
Are you sure you can't find a local supplier? I gotta believe there is at least one hardwood dealer near Tampa Bay. (I Googled "hardwood Tampa" and got several hits) --- 8/4 is a common size, mahogany and sapele are commonly-traded species.

If all else fails, try calling a local hardwood flooring company--- they are connected to hardwood suppliers.

Alan Lightstone
06-21-2015, 11:57 AM
No luck locally, thus far, for 8/4.

jack duren
06-21-2015, 12:56 PM
I intend to make a few of these chairs myself over winter. We ordered a bunch of 8/4 eucalyptus wood for exterior tables and chairs from the philippines. We bought all the US had. But why all the 8/4? I'll glue before I stretch money on these chairs.

Do you have the plans?

Prashun Patel
06-21-2015, 12:59 PM
If you cannot find it but have access to 4/4 you can glue up. The grain match on edge grain mahogany has been very good for me.

Alan Lightstone
06-21-2015, 2:05 PM
I'm using gluing up 4/4 as a last resort if I can't find 8/4.

I do have the plans. I just printed the full size drawings at Kinkos yesterday.

Hopefully will come out nice. Never built a chair before. This will be my first. Just rounding out my bucket list of furniture to build.

jack duren
06-21-2015, 2:09 PM
I'm using gluing up 4/4 as a last resort if I can't find 8/4.

I do have the plans. I just printed the full size drawings at Kinkos yesterday.

Hopefully will come out nice. Never built a chair before. This will be my first. Just rounding out my bucket list of furniture to build.

Do you have a link to the site? Been looking all morning for a reputable site for detailed plans

Alan Lightstone
06-21-2015, 2:31 PM
It's Popular Woodworking, April 2012.

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/projects/free-plans-titanic-deck-chair/attachment/titanic-deck-chair-article

I saved the full size plans to a flash drive, and brought it to Kinkos to print out. Took all of 5 minutes.

James Gunning
06-22-2015, 6:05 PM
Alan,

Have you tried Amazon Exotic Hardwoods: 328 Commercial St, Casselberry, FL 32707 (407) 339-9590 www.amazonexotichardwoods.com (http://www.amazonexotichardwoods.com)

I bought some beautiful Honduran Mahogany from them last year. They also have had Sapele, but it was highly figured and priced to match. They usually have a pretty good stock on hand.

Kent A Bathurst
06-22-2015, 6:17 PM
I can give you a lead, but not a direct source:

Medley, Fl. Aljoma Lumber, a division of Universal Forest Products

They bring in a huge amount of mahogany, and regrade/sort it to ship out to distributor customers.

If you called them, you could probably find a customer of theirs nearer than hellandgone.....

Killer stuff. RW/RL, in thicknesses up to 16/4, IIRC. In fact, back in the day when I was remotely involved, they would schedule days when a rep from Gibson Guitars would come, stand at the the regrade line, and pick out his wood as it came down the chain. Likely still happens.....

John Schweikert
06-22-2015, 9:07 PM
Woodfinder.com

put in your zip code

Here's a list within 100 miles:
FRANKLIN ST. FINE WOODWORK Tampa FL (7 miles)
Woodcraft - Clearwater/Tampa, FL Clearwater FL (10 miles)
Advantage Trim & Lumber Co Sarasota FL (40 miles)
Hardwood Lumber & Millwork Lakeland FL (40 miles)
Woodcraft - Orlando, FL Fern Park FL (88 miles)
Amazon Exotic Hardwoods, Inc. Casselberry FL (89 miles)

Dave Cav
06-22-2015, 11:54 PM
I have had great luck with East Teak.

Alan Lightstone
06-23-2015, 4:10 PM
East Teak replied to me, but led me to believe that they wanted commercial, not retail sales.

Woodcraft doesn't have 8/4 wood near me. I wasn't aware that Franklin St sold lumber. I'll give Advantage and Hardwood Lumber a call. Certainly better than driving halfway across the state.

Kent - interesting hint.

Val Kosmider
06-23-2015, 4:30 PM
East Teak replied to me, but led me to believe that they wanted commercial, not retail sales.

Woodcraft doesn't have 8/4 wood near me. I wasn't aware that Franklin St sold lumber. I'll give Advantage and Hardwood Lumber a call. Certainly better than driving halfway across the state.

Kent - interesting hint.

Back when I was dumb (even dumber than I am now) my local Woodcraft ordered a piece of 8/4 Cherry for me. Awesome piece of wood....8/4 by 12" by 12'. IIRC I paid around $7-8 a bd ft. In any event, I wonder why they (Woodcraft) wouldn't order a plank of Mahogany for you? My store even went so far as to say "pay if you like it; otherwise no obligation".

Contact a local millwork shop. They buy their stuff somewhere...and can direct you, or throw your order in with theirs.

Ron Brese
06-23-2015, 7:57 PM
I'm sure you will find the material you are looking for if youcontinue to look for a source. If Teak is really superior to Mahogany in weather resistance $1.50 per bd. ft. difference doesn't seem to be much if the longevity of the piece is effected in a positive way by using teak in lieu of mahogany.

Does anyone have any direct experience that could shed some light on the pros of using the teak in lieu of the mahogany? I wonder what the difference in longevity might be?

Ron