PDA

View Full Version : Folding Rule

David Ragan
06-20-2015, 8:17 PM
Anyone use a folding rule instead of the tape? Why or why not?

William A Johnston
06-20-2015, 8:21 PM
I use one when working with laminate. I find it easier and more accurate than bending a steel tape measure. Great for in between walls and panels.

Bill

Robert Delhommer Sr
06-20-2015, 8:28 PM
I use one occasionally, can't be beat for inside measurements.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-20-2015, 8:32 PM
David.....I just bought one a couple weeks ago to use. We had all the windows in our home replaced and I am doing the interior trim. I wanted accurate inside measurements.

Steve Kinnaird
06-20-2015, 8:39 PM
All I remember is pinching my fingers in one when I was a kid :eek:

Probably have 40 different tape measures and rulers, but not a folding. Might have to get one and put it to use.

Bradley Gray
06-20-2015, 8:42 PM
I carry one in my back pocket every day in my shop. I have had the same 2 rules for 40 years. My Dad taught me to never start walking without folding the rule - that's how they break.

Jim Matthews
06-20-2015, 8:52 PM
Under 20 inches, they're excellent.

Longer than 20 inches, I like an old fashioned yardstick.

Lonnie Gallaher
06-20-2015, 9:07 PM
I used mine today on a cabinet build. Great tool.

Ole Anderson
06-20-2015, 9:19 PM
Almost never in my shop, but out in the field as a surveyor and engineer they were very useful, particularly the Lufkin version marked in feet and hundredths of a foot.

Bill Ryall
06-20-2015, 9:20 PM
Lufkin folding rule is my first choice. Always have one in a pocket, tool bag or on the bench.

lowell holmes
06-20-2015, 9:20 PM
I have 72" and 84" folding rules, both with 6" slides.

If you break one, you can have a folding yard stick.

I find them to be quite handy.

Von Bickley
06-20-2015, 10:05 PM
I have 3 folding rulers in the shop and 3 or 4 tapes. I use the tapes for framing or rough measurements, and the folding rulers for cabinet work.

David Ragan
06-21-2015, 8:53 AM
I carry one in my back pocket every day in my shop. I have had the same 2 rules for 40 years. My Dad taught me to never start walking without folding the rule - that's how they break.

I guess I don't use one enough to understand this

Jerome Stanek
06-21-2015, 9:03 AM
I use one for inside measures and a long time ago to open Pepsi and Beer bottles.

Jim Matthews
06-21-2015, 9:11 AM
I guess I don't use one enough to understand this

If you have it deployed, and take a wrong step, they're the first thing that will touch down.
These will break easily at the brass clasp on each short section.

It's a variant of walking and doing differential calculus/texting/looking at girls/planning your OR schedule at the same time.

Tom Ewell
06-21-2015, 9:23 AM
Use several, extendable, two way and metric/imperial.
The two way reads L-R/R-L (no matter which way you unfold it there is always a start at 1), extendable for IS meas. and depth of groove, metric is pretty obvious.

Jeff Ramsey
06-21-2015, 9:56 AM
All the time, particularly for inside or depth measurements using the extender. It also is more comfortable to carry in my back pocket that a tape, which I still use for longer measurements.

ken masoumi
06-21-2015, 10:43 AM
Lee Valley had a special 3 for $20 so I ordered thinking I would use them on occasion but it's been a year and I still have not found the need to use one , maybe because I don't trust a folding rule to be as accurate as a tape measure.

Frederick Skelly
06-21-2015, 11:17 AM
I bought a Lufkin 6 months ago and have yet to really use it. I just seem to automatically reach for my 12" or 24" straight rules. But I'm convinced it'll be a Godsend for inside measurements- just haven't done any since I bought it.

jack duren
06-21-2015, 11:42 AM
I worked with a cabinet maker named Gary White in the 80's who swore by them. I didn't care for it and stuck with my tape measure. Over 30 years and I recently started looking at them. Not to replace my tape but to assist where the tape fails especially on inside measurements in the back of cabinetry or furniture. It won't replace my tape but after all these years I think I may have missed an important tool that could have helped me in certain situations. Funny how the years go by and you finally just "get it"

Mel Fulks
06-21-2015, 12:13 PM
I've posted this before, but someone new might like it. As a kid on my first woodworking job ,the boss told me to rough cut some special old walnut he had for decades saved to make his wife a lowboy. Using a folding wood rule I carefully measured....but failed to unfold one or two rule sections. That makes stuff too short. The boards were for the top and he just about went nuts. Even all these years later if I must use a folding rule I examine it slowly and carefully ,in a cold sweat, to make sure it is unfolded all the way.

Clay Fails
06-21-2015, 4:23 PM
I too have lots of measuring devices, and use a folding rule when it's the best tool for the job. When you need one, it's the best choice. I have no fear about it not being accurate if used correctly.

David Ragan
06-21-2015, 4:33 PM
If you have it deployed, and take a wrong step, they're the first thing that will touch down.
These will break easily at the brass clasp on each short section.

It's a variant of walking and doing differential calculus/texting/looking at girls/planning your OR schedule at the same time.

That, I understand.

Speaking of girls, I was out installing the World's Best garage vac for my wife this AM, and know what pulls up in the driveway, comes all the way to the garage???

The United States Post Office Mail truck! A beautiful girl inside! All I could say, as I went to get the package was......"Wow....Pretty girl.... Mail.... Sunday?!!" She smiled and drove right on outa here.

Jim Matthews
06-21-2015, 7:43 PM
The United States Post Office Mail truck! A beautiful girl inside! All I could say, as I went to get the package was......"Wow....Pretty girl.... Mail.... Sunday?!!"

Now you must order things from Amazon that will be delivered by the Post Office.

Do NOT select the 'combine packages for lower freight cost' option.

The girls seem to like lemon in their iced tea.
Would SWMBO obeyed notice, if you were always
neatly pressed, with iced tea at the ready -
waiting for another package?

I think there was a Lifetime movie about this, back in the 80's.

Henry Kramer
06-21-2015, 11:34 PM
I use one in the shop all of the time. As a Bricklayer/Stone Mason I always had a (Mason's) folding rule in my back pocket. It would go from my tool bag into my back pocket at starting time, and only come out to sit for coffee break, lunch and at the end of the day. I find them incredibly useful in the wood shop. I am glad that I have about a half dozen of older ones because I notice that some of the new ones are made in Asia and I don't trust Asian measuring devices.

Mike Henderson
06-22-2015, 10:44 AM
I do mostly furniture so a 24" metal rule works for most things I do. For bigger, I usually use a tape. I do use a folding rule occasionally for inside measurements - but probably not more than a few times a year.

Mike