PDA

View Full Version : Micro-Mark MicroLux Laserknife - a brief reivew

Mark Taylor2
06-20-2015, 7:50 PM
Hi all,

I'm a wooden model shipbuilder and one your members contacted me over a review I posted at Modelshipworld on this laser. After much discussion, I think it's appropriate to post it here. In my models, I don't use much basswood except for prototypes and making quick and dirty jigs. I mostly use what some consider to be exotic woods, such as: ebony, boxwood, pear, Swiss pear, plum, cherry and a few others upon occasion.

This is basically the same review I posted there, but I'm eliminating the chit-chat and also adding some info that's not there.

I will preface this by saying that this tool is NOT for everyone. To make it clear: if you are expecting out-of-box performance from this, stop reading and go do something else. I fear this is going to be rather long winded....
Background
My scroll saw skills leave a lot to be desired and for repetitive items like knees, beams and even cutting small pieces for carving is an issue. So rather than stand in front of a scroll saw for hours and end up tossing 30-50% of the pieces into the scrap box, I thought about a laser cutter. The so-called “hobby lasers” seem appealing. Reasonably low power requirements, low costs, and relatively smaller size appeals to me.

Research
The caveats that I read about Laser Cutters and followed in the research are:

Use a company in the country you are in or will provide support to you.
Use a company that has been in business for more than a couple of years

I did not consider anything more powerful than 40W. Maybe I should have, but there's also a cost factor that goes with that.

Pre-Order
The unit uses CorelLaser as its cutting software using an industry standard HP Plotter Driver and also Corel Draw. I downloaded the manual and documentation from MM. I also ordered a copy of CorelDraw X6 from Amazon. CorelLaser works only with CorelDraw above version 13 so I bought a shrink wrapped, new-in-the-box program for $150 US. I would suggest you do your homework on this. X7, the latest from Corel is a subscription based program. In other words, you pay every month for it. I prefer to have a CD in my drawer just in case….

I spent a week or so refreshing myself on CorelDraw as the last time I used it was Version 5… yeah… been a few years.

Unpacking and Set-Up
I received this is 3 boxes, well packed in foam. Unpacking is pretty straight forward. I would suggest that the air pump and water pump NOT be removed from their bubble wrap as there is nothing on these items to indicate what they are. I wish that MM had put a photo or two in the instruction manual to identify parts.

One thing that is needed is a GFI socket. I’m using a GFI adapter in case I wish at some future date, to move the cutter to a different place.

Set-up is pretty straight forward following the manual. The hardest part was figuring out the exhaust setup without cutting a hole in the wall of the house. Also, do NOT secure the exhaust unit to the cutter with tape. Use #10 X 3/4” self-tapping screws. There’s bit a misfit between these parts and the tape will not hold it securely in place.

Testing Started
I used the factory settings and followed the instructions in the manual for the recommended passes and power. Not a happy camper using boxwood. The little nameplate is 1/8” thick boxwood. Took 9 passes to cut. Lots of charring.

http://modelshipworld.com/uploads/monthly_06_2015/post-76-0-27506400-1433985535_thumb.jpg (http://modelshipworld.com/uploads/monthly_06_2015/post-76-0-27506400-1433985535.jpg) http://modelshipworld.com/uploads/monthly_06_2015/post-76-0-23085500-1433985550_thumb.jpg (http://modelshipworld.com/uploads/monthly_06_2015/post-76-0-23085500-1433985550.jpg)

I discovered the mirrors were off. MM instructions are vague in the extreme and need some serious re-writing to be useful. I Googled and eventually found the information I needed here: http://dck40.blogspot.com/
Using other web sources, I discovered that the lens in the cutting head was upside down… WTF!!!! This really irritated me.

After spending a day going back and forth between all three mirrors and adjusting them, and then resetting the focus for the wood, here’s the next round.

http://modelshipworld.com/uploads/monthly_06_2015/post-76-0-98476300-1433985611_thumb.jpg (http://modelshipworld.com/uploads/monthly_06_2015/post-76-0-98476300-1433985611.jpg) http://modelshipworld.com/uploads/monthly_06_2015/post-76-0-90944400-1433985638_thumb.jpg (http://modelshipworld.com/uploads/monthly_06_2015/post-76-0-90944400-1433985638.jpg)

I’m continuing to test and massage things. This will take time. I’m able to cut 3/16” boxwwod which requires multiple passes but as yet, not I’ve not tried ¼” boxwood.

Overall Observations.
The learning curve on this machine is a vertical, straight line. These machines are still in their infancy and not mature. Documentation is extremely sparse although there are forums out there for laser cutters, getting to the information you need for a particular type or model is a bit overwhelming and I consider myself a knowledgeable Googler. There is no guidance on power settings or cutting speed to cut various types and thicknesses of wood. Serious experimentation is required.

This machine is finicky in that all mirrors have to be perfectly adjusted to make use of the power and they have to be kept clean. It is big, and sometimes smelly. It’s not a production machine and the bucket of cooling water will have to be watched. Running at “high” power (no definition from anyone on this or on the max water temperature) will shorten the life of the laser bulb. There is a focus issue and I believe it could cut with a thinner kerf. I’m trying to talk with MM about this….

The nameplate, I couldn’t even begin to cut something that tiny on the scroll saw. It’s now almost ready for carving. I do need to tweak the drawing some more to get a bit better spacing. The anchor stocks I’ve done, would have taken maybe 30 minutes on the scroll saw. Including drawing time, this took approximately 1 hour and no wasted/ruined pieces. However, all 4 are exactly alike and the bolt holes are ready to be cleaned of char and the bolts installed. No fiddling with the drill press, either. I have about 8 other parts ready for cutting and will do them as I go. The kerf size and charring are still an issue.

I’ll say it again, it’s not for everyone. If you have the time and ability to Google and research and then to fiddle with it and get it running correctly and then to keep it running, it might be ok for you. The manuals are skimpy at best and a bit of creative Googling will need to be done to help sort things out. There’s still settings in CorelLaser that I have no idea what they do. There is an alternative to CorelLaser called LaserCut 5.3. I haven’t tried it yet and the documentation on-line seems rather sparse from what I’ve seen.

Thicknesses of 3/16” and up are tricky to work with. There’s no tables or inputs from MM on this and the web is all over the place on using these “hobby” cutters. However, most folks who have reviewed similar machines are using basswood and thin woods. Doll houses and RR accessories seem to be the major uses along with etching for various things like signs, pendants, etc. I need to have a conversation with MM on the lens… I think it needs to be higher quality and damn it... there’s no excuse to have it installed upside down.

Lastly, tech support. I emailed them late on a Sunday night about some issues. I'm still waiting for answer after 3 days…
Since we’re talking tech support, it’s worthwhile to note that tech support hours are very limited… Monday through Friday, from 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm, EDT.

I asked tech support before I ordered about using an extender cable and the answer was a simple: not recommended. The unit comes with a 9 foot USB cable so I had to seriously rearrange my workshop to get it closer to the computer. I’m testing a USB powered extender cable so I don’t have cabling running across the floor where it can be stepped on. Jury is out on this.

Later that same week:
Well... my patience has run out with MM. There will be no more tools for me bought from them. If I can't fix any of the ones I've bought from them, it will be replaced by another manufacturer. As I said previously, I sent an email (posted at the end of this post) on Sunday night. 5 days and no response. I don't believe I was offensive, angry or mean. But no response, not even a "got your mail and we're looking into this" would have been acceptable.

As for the tool in question... after discussion with the Admiral (wife), she calmed me down and got me rational. Rather than starting the whole process over, I'm hanging on to it. I can upgrade when the laser tube dies to a larger power tube. With what I'm using it for, it'll work. I had to do mods to the mini-mill to get to work better and sometimes the devil you do know is better than the one you don't.

I'm not sure there really is a good solution to a hobby type cutter out there for what we do and under $3000 (US). Or at least one that won't require a lot time and energy to set it up, climb up and over the learning curve, and get it properly tweaked. This already has many of the mods that I'd have to source and go through anyway.... 220 VAC power unit, for example. I also know the weaknesses. So I'll put my time and energy into resolving the issues I have left rather than starting over.

Anyway... I won't recommend this tool to anyone because the tech support isn't there. But if you do buy one, be forewarned.

The Following Week:

On the beam/mirror alignment.. I checked the bed and arm with a bubble level to get everything set up. That's what told met bed was off. The link on the mirror alignment... the mirrors should be checked at upper left and at lower right at a minimum.

Yes, this is a modified K40W laser. They upgraded the Power Supply for 220 VAC which why the transformer is needed here in the states and also the mainboard so it would work with Corel. The originals use 110 VAC in an unstable power supply and the mainboard is for MoshiDraw. There are some upgrade parts out there, but the rest of the machine (alignments) have to be spot on and one of the things I'm looking for now is.. do they change?.

In spite of the recommendation not to use an extender, I'm using one with no issues at this point other than it takes a bit longer for a large data file to move over to the cutter.

Thanks for the tip on the water temp... I'll go freeze a jug of distilled water and put it in the bucket. Crickey... 68 degrees max???? We keep ambient here in the house at 71 degrees. Did tech tell you this or did you find it out on your own? (Note: I found out later from the MM Tech Support that 78 degress max. is ok).
It's nice to know that I'm not the only one with an upside down lens. I'm still looking for a better lens as I'm pretty much convinced that this is a cheaply made one.

I can currently manage up to 3/32" without a major headache and 1/8" with trial and error. I'm using cherry and boxwood currently since boxwood is the tough nut to cut. The biggest problem is working out the power settings and speed and then number of passes. Once I sort out 1/8" to where I'm happy, I'll shoot for 3/16". That may not be doable without an upgrade to the laser tube. There is a 45 watt tube available but I'm still looking for specs on the power supply to see if it will run it. It might work with the power supply and no increase of power out of the laser but give a longer life at a higher power than recommended for the 40W.

The work is passible for what I intend to do with it. Knowing that I have to allow for kerf and not be in a rush is the key and then sand off the char.

If this goes back, I won't even deal with tech... I'm still on the fence...

Here's a picture of latest efforts. The dime is there for scale. The wood on top is 1/16" boxwood, the middle is 3/32" boxwood and the bottom is 1/8" boxwood. Still a bit too much charring but I'm fiddling. For me, this is a hobby and there's no pressure.

http://modelshipworld.com/uploads/monthly_06_2015/post-76-0-43030500-1434419854_thumb.jpg (http://modelshipworld.com/uploads/monthly_06_2015/post-76-0-43030500-1434419854.jpg)

A Few Days Later:

Continuing the saga...

I discovered (from another webite... sawmillcreek I think it was) that the lens holder may have issues like the hole between the mirror and lens being too small or off center. It's too narrow or off-center (seems to be a common problem) then the beam hits the sides and power is dissipated and the beam distorted before hitting the lens. Well... mine is off-center about 1/32" or so. I'll be firing up the lathe and re-cutting the opening with boring bar.

My late father-in-law who was doctor before he retired, used to say that a good challenge is excellent for keeping the mind sharp. I'm now thinking he meant a "challenge on the golf course" instead of something like this. http://modelshipworld.com/public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.png http://modelshipworld.com/public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.png

And for the record, I got an answer back from MM... no inference that they mislaid or ignored the first.... anyway, here it is.. verbatim. I've found lenses on line if I suspect that's what I really need at this point and the water temp is doable without adding ice to the bucket..

There are no lens options available, only factory replacements of the stock lens that comes in the machine.

There is not a manual for the CorelLaser program.

The ideal water temperature is between 70 -75 degrees Fahrenheit. The temperature should not be allowed to go much over 78 degrees. Cool water can be slowly added into the bucket with the laser powered off and the pump still circulating. To prevent thermal shock and damage to the laser tube be sure the water being added is within 10 degrees of the water temperature in the bucket.

Thank you for your feedback, I have passed your comments on regarding improvements to the LaserKnife manual and asked that our quality control check that the laser lenses are properly installed.

Micro-Mark Technical Service Department

Later the same day

I think.. I hope... this is final test post of this review unless I do something really stupid or find some additional info somewhere. I'll be glad to answer any questions, however and share any knowledge I've gleaned.

The lens holder did have issues. The hole down the middle was burred badly at the top (laser light input) and off-center at the bottom (laser light output to lens) which seems to be a common problem with Chinese made machines. There were scorch marks on the burrs and on the inside indicating that it needed to re-machined and made perfectly round. The unit is aluminum and about 2" inches long. Ok... aggravation time. After a some "calm down and focus" time, I chucked it into the lathe and fired it up. Using a boring bar, I took off about 0.010 inch of material and got the inside perfectly round from top to bottom and the top was de-burred. The beast was then reassembled and tested.

I noticed that the kerf is a bit narrower and that it's cutting deeper into the wood. For example, what took a speed of 12, power level of 9mA, and 4 passes to cut some of Jason's fine euro boxwood that 3/32" thick, I managed to get up the speed to 16, keep the power the same, and only 1 pass. Similar results on 3/16" thick Castello (not the euro) and for the first time, I managed 1/4" Castello. Took 4 passes but it I was happy since previous tests, I gave up after 6 passes at a slower speed and higher power.

On a side note, Boxwood is the toughest wood to cut from what I've seen. Euro box seems harder to cut than Castello with a laser. Maybe in the next couple of weeks, I'll try some ebony which should be interesting to say the least. BTW, basswood cuts like butter now.

Here's a picture to compare to the previous one at post #24. Less charring and a cleaner cut. I went for broke on the photo and using the super macro setting went for the biggest image I could get to challenge this fix.

http://modelshipworld.com/uploads/monthly_06_2015/post-76-0-32119400-1434595818_thumb.jpg (http://modelshipworld.com/uploads/monthly_06_2015/post-76-0-32119400-1434595818.jpg)

Final Thoughts:

I'm still not recommending it. There's only been two reviews out there.. this one and the one by Debbie over at Sawmillcreek.org. I'll be adding mine there also.

If I had known the challenges I would be facing, I would have looked at a different machine AND a different company.

Since my scale of choice is 1:64, I seriously doubt I'll have to cut 1/4" wood but 3/16 is very likely and doable. If my Licorne and the ships I have planned are any indication, mostly it'll be 1/8" and thinner.

Just so you know, here's my final test results as of a day ago.. I just cut straight lines and examined them for the best looking cuts.. minimal char and an even cut top to bottom. I'm pretty happy... all these are on boxwood. I'm going to try cherry this weekend but the settings will be close for that. It think if I fiddle a bit more with the settings, the Arms of France can be better. I would still need to remove the char and do the carving so it's 3D or at least bias-relief (I think that's what it's called).

Wood thickness Speed mm/sec Power (meter reading) Passes
1/32" 15 8 1
1/16" 15 9 1
3/32" 10 9 1
1/8" 10 9 1
3/16" 5 12 1
1/4" 7 12 2
Etching (Lettering) 20 2 1

I never did try a full power cut as I don't want to stress the tube. I'm still not recommending it.. it was just too much hassle and after hearing what Debbie and her husband went through.... I sure as hell wouldn't want anyone here doing that. They've made their decision on what they'll be doing and post it tomorrow.

At this point, it'll do what I want. If takes time to cut a complex piece that's fine. I'm retired and there's other things to do in shop while it's cutting. I took your advice and have a fire bottle hanging on the side. I also picked up an air purifier as there is some smoke getting out and into the shop area. Gotta' keep the Admiral happy.

Oh.. ebony is no-go for laser cutting... the stuff glows like charcoal and doesn't burn through no matter what power settings or speed. It does however, put out a nice yellow flame.

If there's any advice or observations, feel free to post, kick my tail, etc. I'm a real newbie at this and still learning.

Keith Winter
06-20-2015, 8:58 PM
Hi Mark,

Sorry to hear that, sounds like a lot of hassle! Can you give some context here on the laser though? I've never heard of this brand. How many watts is it? Is this one of those sub $1000 mini lasers on eBay (guessing it's tiny and low power off the description you posted) or something else?

Mark Taylor2
06-20-2015, 9:48 PM
Keith,

It's basically your k40W Chinese that has been upgraded. It uses CorelLaser instead of MoshiDraw, uses 220VAC in via a transformer in the states. They've added some things like interlock switches, provide a decent (to me at least) water pump and air pump. Here's a link: http://www.micromark.com/laser-cutter,12026.html it's a pretty good sized machine but has a rather small cutting area of 9.8" X 9.8". For what I wanted it for, that's ok. I'm not going to whip out 20" long projects.

It was a lot of hassle, I agree. But, I'm pretty stubborn and willing to dig for the info. At this point, it'll do what I want it for. But.. there's a downside...one of the member's here contacted me as she has one and her husband found my review. Her topic is here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?231880-Does-anyone-here-have-a-Micro-Mart-Microlux-Laserknife-2525 She's having some real issues.

My impression is that there's very few of these imports that don't have problems. I was willing to spend the $2000 but not the $4000-$10000 for one. I'm just a hobbyist with no intention of doing production work.

Keith Winter
06-20-2015, 10:45 PM
Hi Mark,
By k40w I assume you mean 40 watts. I don't know how else to say it. The long and short of it is that detailed work you are doing on the eagle is what people on here are doing with not $4k-$10k machines but $15k-$30k US machines. Basic-moderate shapes you might be ok, but as for the detailed engraving work, its going to be a long road to get there and repeat consistently.

Dave Sheldrake
06-21-2015, 9:18 AM
By k40w I assume you mean 40 watts.

They call them 40 watt Keith, most if not all companies that sell them do but rarely do they make over 32 to 34 watts when new that soon drops to 25 -30. K40 was the original model designation Shenhui used for their version but there is very little difference between any of the models built the same way.

My impression is that there's very few of these imports that don't have problems.

Import lasers are fine so long as they are set up properly by a Stateside or European distributor or somebody with a fair bit of experience, the problem has become anybody can get trade prices from China so many do, buy a couple of machines and call them selves "Laser Vendors". Most of them last about a year or two then disappear as quickly as they arrived as they soon realise they know next to nothing about the items they actually sell.

cheers

Dave

Mark Taylor2
06-21-2015, 9:51 AM
Thanks Keith. It's supposedly 40W but from the info I've read, it probably isn't that high.

The eagle I as you call it, is about what I want. It's a stern decoration for a model ship, as is the nameplate. The burn lines (etch) are marks for carving in bas-relief. The piece gets glued to a large chunk of basswood for handling and then carved. Once carved, it's removed from the base and glued to the ship. This is probably the most complex thing I'll ever have to cut. Most pieces will be more on the order of the anchor stocks.

Heres a plan of a more complex version of the same coat of arms. The coat of arms is highlighted in red.

Mark Taylor2
06-21-2015, 9:54 AM
Dave,
This one will probably disappear also in the next year or two. They claim it's built to their specifications and tested by them.. pfffttt on the testing. There wasn't that much wrong except for a total lack of proper instructions on alignment of the mirrors and a mis-drilled lens tube. Prompt tech support is lacking.

Bert Kemp
06-21-2015, 11:03 AM
Mark a true 40 watt tube is about 1010mm in length and 54 /55 mm in dia and puts out a max watt of 47watts but will run at 40 watts your tube is most likely 700mm or less and 50 mm dia has a max of 40 but like Dave said runs at 25 to 30 watts. Because it has a max of 40 they mislead you and call it a 40 watt tube. Kinda like when you started an big old elec motor the start up surge was huge but once running it settled down and took way less power to keep it going. You know how the lights would dim when you threw the switch and then get bright again in a few seconds. Same idea kinda.

Thanks Keith. It's supposedly 40W but from the info I've read, it probably isn't that high.

The eagle I as you call it, is about what I want. It's a stern decoration for a model ship, as is the nameplate. The burn lines (etch) are marks for carving in bas-relief. The piece gets glued to a large chunk of basswood for handling and then carved. Once carved, it's removed from the base and glued to the ship. This is probably the most complex thing I'll ever have to cut. Most pieces will be more on the order of the anchor stocks.

Heres a plan of a more complex version of the same coat of arms. The coat of arms is highlighted in red.

Matt McCoy
06-21-2015, 11:11 AM
I get the impression that these machines are targeted to a small niche audience and not a lot of them are sold. It's my understanding that the clock starts ticking down on the laser tube as soon as it's manufactured, even if it's sitting on a warehouse shelf.

Regardless of its actually tested power, a typical K40-type laser should cut through hardwood or plywood up to 1/4" thick. I was unable to cut Purpleheart or Brazilian Rosewood, but could get a reasonable success rate with BB plywood, oak, and walnut.

Based on the info/settings provided by both posters with experience with this machine, I believe the laser tubes are probably old and should be replaced.

Bert Kemp
06-21-2015, 11:30 AM
Do you think they should waste more time and money on these machines. I think both are in position to return the machines and get a refund and buy a much better machine for the same price of a little more.

I get the impression that these machines are targeted to a small niche audience and not a lot of them are sold. It's my understanding that the clock starts ticking down on the laser tube as soon as it's manufactured, even if it's sitting on a warehouse shelf.

Regardless of its actually tested power, a typical K40-type laser should cut through hardwood or plywood up to 1/4" thick. I was unable to cut Purpleheart or Brazilian Rosewood, but could get a reasonable success rate with BB plywood, oak, and walnut.

Based on the info/settings provided by both posters with experience with this machine, I believe the laser tubes are probably old and should be replaced.

Mark Taylor2
06-21-2015, 11:50 AM
A great analogy, Bert. I'm used to marketing hype and know that most of what they say (any company) is bunk.

Keith Winter
06-21-2015, 2:23 PM
Mark,
Dave and Bert are giving you excellent insight. They know a lot more about Chinese lasers than I do.

That back of the ship design is beautiful by the way! I'd love to see a fully done one, any photos of past ships you've made? As for the laser, if it ends up that laser you bought can do 80% of the pieces and say 20% of the really detailed engraving stuff it cannot do, all is not necessarily lost. You can probably find some people either here or locally with a more advanced laser that will do the 20% for a reasonable fee for you, if you send them the designs you want and material.

Mark Taylor2
06-21-2015, 3:01 PM
Thanks Keith. I appreciate yours and everyone else's insights. This is only the second scratch build I've done and probably the most ambitious as the others were not ornate at all. The engraving pieces are done and waiting for carving. Everything else from here on out is cutting.

I did check locally... the basic answer is "no". Except for one place, they don't want to deal with anything harder than basswood. The prices I got from the one place, just for rest of the pieces I need to finish her came to more than the cost of the laser. Besides, part of the fun of my hobby is doing it myself. I'm retired and it is the challenge I need to keep my mind sharp and not just watching the grass grow.

Dave Sheldrake
06-21-2015, 7:46 PM

Far more likely is the tube is sold over rated as a 40 when it's a 30 to 35 combined with the machine being badly aligned and having poor mirror and lens quality. TongLi / YongLi tubes are well known as intro tubes and never give the power output they claim when run.

Replacing the tube for a brand new one is likely to yield the exact same results given the lack of quality control on small Chinese tubes.

It's my understanding that the clock starts ticking down on the laser tube as soon as it's manufactured, even if it's sitting on a warehouse shelf.

Sort of but not really that much if it is never used then used maybe a year later, far worse is using one, storing it then trying to use it again. Once the oxidation starts on the electrodes the liberated Oxygen in the tubes will cause it to accelerate, if the tube has never been used then there is very little molecular Oxygen in them (pending quality control) so the electrodes last longer.

cheers

Dave

Keith Winter
06-21-2015, 9:21 PM
Sort of but not really that much if it is never used then used maybe a year later, far worse is using one, storing it then trying to use it again. Once the oxidation starts on the electrodes the liberated Oxygen in the tubes will cause it to accelerate, if the tube has never been used then there is very little molecular Oxygen in them (pending quality control) so the electrodes last longer.

cheers

Dave

Learn something new from you every week Dave. Very interesting! What the shelf life on a tube if you order a spare with a Chinese laser? Talking either a Reci or that EFR you mentioned in another thread.

Dave Sheldrake
06-21-2015, 9:48 PM
bit of string really Keith, I've seen tubes last 2 years and be fine, I seen tubes that are 6 months old fail, a lot depends on how they are stored but overall I'd expect a year before use out of an EFR and about half that on a RECI,

I'm not an advocate of ordering spare tubes though, a good EFR can last 3 to 5 years without problems so the spare may well be duff by the time it gets used.

Mark Taylor2
06-21-2015, 10:19 PM
I think everyone has hit it dead on. This is the 700 mm tube which from what I can find, NOT a true 40W. I did test on some 1/4" basswood without a problem. Purpleheart and Rosewood are pretty dense. Almost as dense at Castello Boxwood as I recall. Is this cut through with a single pass or multiple passes? The 1/4" Castello takes 2 passes on this machine.

Matt McCoy
06-22-2015, 7:24 AM
Far more likely is the tube is sold over rated as a 40 when it's a 30 to 35 combined with the machine being badly aligned and having poor mirror and lens quality. TongLi / YongLi tubes are well known as intro tubes and never give the power output they claim when run.

All things equal, a properly calibrated "40 W" laser should be able to cut chip board at the bottom-right of the cutting envelope (which is smaller than the 9.5 X 14" of similar K40-type machines.

I think everyone has hit it dead on. This is the 700 mm tube which from what I can find, NOT a true 40W. I did test on some 1/4" basswood without a problem. Purpleheart and Rosewood are pretty dense. Almost as dense at Castello Boxwood as I recall. Is this cut through with a single pass or multiple passes? The 1/4" Castello takes 2 passes on this machine.

To clarify: I was not able to cut 1/8" Purpleheart or Rosewood with good results. Oak (1/4") was the upper limit for me, while Aspen and 1/8" BB plywood provided the most consistant pieces with nice results.

cheers

Dave

bit of string really Keith, I've seen tubes last 2 years and be fine, I seen tubes that are 6 months old fail, a lot depends on how they are stored but overall I'd expect a year before use out of an EFR and about half that on a RECI,

I'm not an advocate of ordering spare tubes though, a good EFR can last 3 to 5 years without problems so the spare may well be duff by the time it gets used.

So, I guess we are saying the same thing.