PDA

View Full Version : Hope for Bent Band Saw Blade?

Steve H Graham
06-20-2015, 5:40 PM
I think I already know the answer to this, but is there any hope of fixing a 1/4" band saw blade that has a twist in it?

I learned something new about band saw technique today (nice way of saying I made a big mistake), and in the process, my blade got a couple of bends in it. not sharp kinks, but they cause vibration and widen the kerf.

I ordered a new one, but I am thinking a really determined person might be able to fix the old one.

ken masoumi
06-20-2015, 5:58 PM
In my experience once the blade is bent it will never run like before,the only solution I can think of is to cut it at the bend and reweld it.
If it's not an expensive blade I would just throw it out .

Lee Schierer
06-20-2015, 6:32 PM
You might be able to lay it on a piece of steel so the teeth hang off the edge and peen it flat, but most likely you will also mess up the set of the teeth.

Kent A Bathurst
06-20-2015, 6:34 PM
Make scratch stock for beading, etc.............

Myk Rian
06-20-2015, 8:18 PM
Let me guess. You tried cutting PVC for the DC.
That takes a fine toothed blade.

Steve H Graham
06-20-2015, 8:55 PM
I have been pretty good about safety. I read books and watched videos. But I didn't see this coming. I guess there are some things they just assume you'll be smart enough not to do.

I thought I could get away with resawing a small piece of mahogany. It was jointed and planed on the wide surfaces, but the edges were not regular. The part that went through the saw first had a little bit that was not supported from beneath. Just an inch or two, at the end of a board around 18" long. The saw caught and yanked it down, pulling my end of the board up. The blade made a really interesting curved cut in the board and would not come out. I had to pry the kerf open so it would back out.

I was horrified, because like all saw accidents, it happened fast. I was a long way from the blade, but still.

So from now on I'll use the 3/4" blade, and I won't resaw anything that has a lever at the front end.

Jeff Ramsey
06-21-2015, 10:01 AM
3/4" bandsaw blades make good scratch stock for custom beading patterns. They fit in a Stanley 66.

Bill White
06-21-2015, 12:02 PM
Cut 'em up in 12" lengths, stack about 5 to 6 pcs. side by side with the teeth in opposing directions, tape the cut ends together. Voila!! You've got a great tool to clean and fluff the buffing wheels.
Bill

David C. Roseman
06-21-2015, 4:55 PM
Not that it's ever happened to me, of course :rolleyes:, but I agree you'll never get a sprung 1/4" blade to run true again. Just hang it on the wall next to the bandsaw to keep you humble.

Myk Rian
06-21-2015, 8:18 PM
Next time joint the edge.