PDA

View Full Version : How many computers?

Walt Langhans
06-20-2015, 4:24 PM
Hey Guys!

Is anyone running 2 different machines that use RDCAM and using only 1 computer? Both of my machines are really similar (only 10 Watts different in power, and a few centimeters in bed size) but I'm not sure if the driver that RDCAM us basically takes the info from the machine to set stuff, or sends the info to the machine or what. Any have any experience with this before I try and reinvent the wheel?

Thanks!
Walt

Bill Carruthers
06-21-2015, 3:18 PM
Hey Guys!

Is anyone running 2 different machines that use RDCAM and using only 1 computer? Both of my machines are really similar (only 10 Watts different in power, and a few centimeters in bed size) but I'm not sure if the driver that RDCAM us basically takes the info from the machine to set stuff, or sends the info to the machine or what. Any have any experience with this before I try and reinvent the wheel?

Thanks!
Walt
Hi Walt
I am running a laptop (Win 7 64 bit) and 3 versions of RDCam (5.3,6.0.41, and 8.0.32,) and 2 machines with different controller boards.
I can run both machines from RDCam 5 and 6 with no problems, except some times having to plug/unplug the usb cord so the program picks up that there is a new machine attached.
My newer machine can only be operated by the version 8 software- which in turn cannot read or operate the controller on the old machine:confused:
Hope this helps
Cheers
Bill

Dave Sheldrake
06-21-2015, 7:38 PM
Be careful Walt, the settings are different between machine models such as acceleration distance and such like.

Walt Langhans
06-22-2015, 10:37 AM
Hi Walt
I am running a laptop (Win 7 64 bit) and 3 versions of RDCam (5.3,6.0.41, and 8.0.32,) and 2 machines with different controller boards.

Are you using RDCam as a plug in for Corel draw or just the RDCam itself?

Be careful Walt, the settings are different between machine models such as acceleration distance and such like.

That's what I was figuring..

Bill Carruthers
06-22-2015, 3:40 PM
[QUOTE=Walt Langhans;2434104]Are you using RDCam as a plug in for Corel draw or just the RDCam itself?

I use RDCam both ways, but find I now do design work in CDraw and then export it as a .dxf or more often an .ai file that can then open in many different programs including all the RDCam versions. I haven't tried using the CDaw plugin option on 2 machines, so don't know how that would work.
Re - the different settings Dave, I've found that the RDcam just uses the settings that are in the machine it is "talking" to;to make any changes to the machine it requires entering passwords and reading and purposely rewriting new parameters for the machine in use. I wouldn't give an ironclad guarantee that there would never be any problems, but so far I haven't found any.
Also Walt you might have to change your "Page Settings" defaults when changing machines but I find that unless I'm using the full bed it isn't usually necessary as the job just starts from where I have the laser head positioned.
Cheers
Bill