PDA

View Full Version : Makita Recipro needs fixed up

steven c newman
06-20-2015, 1:43 PM
Picked up a sawzall a few weeks ago for...$10. Everything motor wise works. However, the clamp to hold a blade inplace was MIA. Have since gotten a clamp from Makita. There is a problem
How does this thing fit on the shaft, and stay there, while allowing a blade to be installed?
I can slip the clamp on, but it is a very loose fit on the curved part of the shaft, as in, it won't quite fit onto the curved part. There is a hole there, with a pin that comes out through the flat side. Is this a bolt of some sort? I could always drill and retap for a new bolt if needed. The pin sticks out enough that a blade will not go past it. Maybe the pin/bolt is out too far? It will not drive back in, either. Maybe drill it out, add a new bolt the right length?
All the other parts are there, just removed them to work on this area. Shoe and rubber boot are in the case. Would like to get this saw up and running......:(

steven c newman
06-20-2015, 9:52 PM
Ok, any ideas on what I should do to get this up and running, blade-wise? 315973 Not sure IF it shows up, but there is a pin in there that is too long. I don't think it should be sticking out like that, anyway. Can't get a blade into the clamp because that pin is in the way. Unless, IF it is really a bolt that has advanced too far? Maybe drill it out, re tap for a slightly larger bolt the correct length? Clamp is a close, but not quite fit. Maybe the bolt will move the clamp into where it needs to be??

Have a drill bit the right size,and a tap. Also have a couple bolts to fit the tap. Sound like a plan??

Jerry Miner
06-21-2015, 11:45 AM
I saw your post over on the LJ forum. Looks like there was a design change on this saw and you will have to figure out which version you have: one has a roll pin (which could probably be driven out) and the other has a machine screw---which should be unscrewed.

If you can't figure out which you have, then I would probably try drilling out the pin/screw---starting small. If you can get your hands on a left-hand drill bit, that would be good, but a regular right-hand combined with an easy-out and some lube (PB Blaster or...?) could do it.

steven c newman
06-21-2015, 11:51 AM
This one has a model No. of JR3000V Manaul was printed in 1993 1-4D Might be an older one?

steven c newman
06-21-2015, 6:54 PM
Seems to be a bolt that snapped off. Will take the slider out, where I can safely work on it. Will drill and tap for a slightly bigger bolt the right length. Slightly as in metric to SAE difference.

May have to sand the inside of the clamp for a better fit, as well. Wonder what a new Makita costs these days.....

steven c newman
06-22-2015, 10:20 AM
Well, have almost an entire day to disect this saw, fix it up, and see if it will hold a blade. One of the "perks" of being retired, I can play all day on this, if need be. Not much else to do today....

Suppose I post a few photos as I go along? Mainly so I can tell which part went where....

steven c newman
06-22-2015, 11:40 AM
Well, that didn't take too long. Tore the gear box down, way too much BURNT grease
Yeah....anyway, took the "slider bar" down to the Dungeon Shop Rehab Center...
Drilled the old bolt out, with lots of oil on the bit
Tapped new threads@ 6x32, again with plenty of oil

Cleaned up the end of burrs and other junk on the shaft
Tried the new clamp, with the new 6 x32 x 1/2" bolt
Put all the parts back into the gear box, tightened down the bolts ( Phillips headed ones, from makita!) plugged the saw in. Pulled the trigger.....it works!
Unplugged the saw, added the rubber boot/dustcover, and installed the sliding shoe ( 4mm headed bolts!) and tried to install a blade..
Had to back off the black set screw that does hold the blade. 4mm allen wrench. It will stay with the saw, as the OEM one is missing. Blade slid right in! and tightened down! I think this saw is ready to go....

Jerry Miner
06-22-2015, 3:57 PM
Sweet! Glad it worked for ya!

steven c newman
06-23-2015, 2:10 AM
Even installed a blade, and gave it a test drive. Nothing flew out the end of the saw........blade stayed put, too. Had to adjust the shoe back towards the gearbox. Got a little bit more blade to use that way.

Repair cost for a $10 saw? About $11 for the clamp, $0.39 for the set screw. All the rest I already had on hand. Not too bad a deal....eh?