PDA

View Full Version : Laser Exhaust Version 3

Keith Winter
06-19-2015, 11:34 PM
Finally finished my new laser exhaust! This new system has capacity for 5 lasers comfortably, 6 in a pinch. As of next week we will have 3 lasers, so room to grow on! :D Thought I'd post some photos to show it off and share some of the insights I've learned through the process of revisions to our laser exhaust and duct work. This is the 3rd revision, very much inspired by some great help I got on the forum from Dan Hintz, Dave Sheldrake, Keith Colson, Bill George and many others. Hopefully this will help someone with their laser exhaust planning! :)

The New Version (v3) Details!
In anticipation of our 3rd laser we knew we had to add a new blower and we also wanted to increase the cfm even further in laser 2 to get the smoke out faster so we added a 3HP shop fox dust collector blower to the line. Each blower has it's own intake line, 6" on the HF 2HP, 8" on the SF 3HP in the laser room with a switch to turn on each. On the outside wall of the laser room lies the blowers and the exhaust out lines. The intake lines go through the wall to the blower then the blower exhaust lines go up the wall and out the window. Each blower has a 6" output line which goes to a 8" duct where they merge up high, finally venting to a 6" vent through the outside window. Each joint is screwed and then taped with extreme weather duct tape. Each wye and turn's joints are also taped to keep the system air tight and keep the bad air from escaping through the tiny gaps in the joints and wye adapter.

Results & Things Learned:
- New 3HP blower and improved ducting is a big win, pulling 5668 fpm a piece from each of the 3 ports that are opened up right now! (see photo)
- 1/2" Screw and then tap over every joint for a tight seal, it increases CFM.
- Tape over all joints in your turns with the duct tape as well, if you hold your hand over it you can actually feel the air escaping if you don't tape them on most joints. I have a photo of a duct turn on wall that wasn't tapped. It visually shows the dirt that comes out a joint in your exhaust if you don't tape it I can share as well. Good about of air loss / exhaust spewed back into the room on those, that not many people think about.
- Bigger pipes make a BIG difference. Gained 25% on my prior version going to 6" duct from 4" duct. So for my 3HP motor I went 8" on the initial intakes tapering down to 6" after splitting off (see photo)
- Extreme weather metal duct tape $21 at HD is expensive but it works extremely well, night and day different from the cheap stuff which falls off after a few cold winters and hot summers.
- New 3HP Shop Fox is a complete beast, puts our other blower (2HP Harbor Freight) to shame! On paper it's only 1.6x more powerful, but in real life it's closer to 2.5x more powerful. It was a little bit of a hassle to get a square to round boot made for the SF exhaust output port, but that thing moves massive amounts of air, very happy with it so far.
- All ready to add the Speedy 400 next week! Learned my lesson last time when I had to rip the pipe out because we only built it for one laser. Planned the system with extra capacity for future growth this time. ;)

New 3HP blower 8" intake line, which trickles down to 6" after initial intakes. Right side also is ready for expansion, has a cap on it now, but if we ever add a 4th or 5th laser, just pull the cap off and add more ducting to the intake line and we're set! No more redoing the main line! :D

5668 fpm from each of the 3 intake ports on the new blower!

6" 2HP Blower intake line, notice the rigid flex duct at the final mile only. Performs MUCH better than flimsy dryer venting and doesn't cost much more.

2 HP HF Blower mount in the air and exhaust out line, 6" till it merges with the 3HP blower line you see coming up, then duct 8". Notice all the turn joints are also taped so exhaust cannot escape from the tiny gaps in the duct turn pieces and wyes.

New 3HP Shop Fox Blower is awesome! (pushes 2.5x the air of our 2HP harbor freight in real life)

Final leg of exhaust two 6" pipes combined into a 8" wye then 8" duct all the way out the window (tiny clamp you see in the corner is just there till the caulking dries :p)

Outside air vent with both blowers on is pushing 1600 fpm measuring from 5' away! I didn't measure but I bet it's closer to 5000-6000 fpm next to the actual vent.

Revision History if you really have read this far ;):
v1: Was a 1hp penn state blower 4" duct for one laser
v1.5: Was a 2hp harbor freight blower same 4" duct for two lasers
v2: Revisions were based upon great feedback I got on the forum. We were struggling to get the smoke out when cutting out with the 4" ducts and the cheapo duct tape ($8 at HD) was pealing off some of the joints. New pipe allows the smoke to get out. Same blower, redid all the duct work to 6", screwed all joints, and then covered the joints with all extreme weather duct tape. 25% fpm increase by these changes alone. This got us over the hump.
v3: details above

Keith Colson
06-20-2015, 5:17 AM
Great job! You can't beat the rigid ducting for low noise. Nice and tidy too.

Cheers
Keith

Keith Winter
06-20-2015, 8:59 AM
Thanks Keith! I think it's going to move the laser exhaust well and allow for ez future upgrades. Learned a lot from you and the others in other exhaust thread a few months ago which I applied here, thanks for your help!

Steven Yates
06-20-2015, 11:54 AM
That looks great! The Harbor Freight blower looks perfect for my needs. Was that sold as just the blower, or did you buy their dust collection system and strip the blower for that?

I couldn't find any blower alone on their website, but that does appear to be the one used in http://www.harborfreight.com/2-hp-industrial-5-micron-dust-collector-97869.html.

Keith Winter
06-20-2015, 2:02 PM
Hi Steven you have to buy the hf dust collector set but it goes on sale frequently and many times they have 20 or 30% off one item deals.

David Sabot
06-20-2015, 2:11 PM
Keith's my boy. Taught him everything he knows. Seriously good job bro. Looks amazing, and super kind of you to share with the community. I'll put ya up down here in Tampa to work on my vents :)

Keith Winter
06-20-2015, 3:54 PM
Haha David! Happy to share back with the community, I've learned so much here, hope this helps someone else!

Steven Yates
06-20-2015, 4:49 PM
Hi Steven you have to buy the hf dust collector set but it goes on sale frequently and many times they have 20 or 30% off one item deals.

Thanks for the info Keith. I've have 20% off coupons all the time. Apparently they send coupons specifically for this item occasionally that drops the price to $150. I think I'll watch my emails for a while and see if that comes up again.

They had a small 1HP dust collection system with less stuff to throw away, but that didn't look like it would move enough air.

Keith Winter
06-20-2015, 5:33 PM
Multiple people on here use the 1hp hf. You can probably get away with it fine depending on how long your duct line is. Small laser short duct should be ok with the 1hp. However you might have a little smoke cutting in other situations. I'd spend the few extra bucks if you have it and go 2hp, the more air you can move the cleaner your laser will be.

Dan Hintz
06-22-2015, 7:14 AM
I'd be curious to know what CFM you get once you've added in some resistance to the line (i.e., the machines themselves).

Keith Winter
06-23-2015, 10:33 PM
Hi Dan,

I measured it today, 790 fpm coming from the upper vents in my Speedy 300. That's from the end of the line of the 3 HP blower with 2 more 4" connections open on it also. What would that translate to in cfm for a Trotec Speedy 300?

As a point of reference my harbor freight 2HP was pulling 500-550 fpm out of each speedy vent with 2 lasers connected.

I'd be curious to know what CFM you get once you've added in some resistance to the line (i.e., the machines themselves).

Dan Hintz
06-24-2015, 6:41 AM
Someone check my math...

A 4" duct has about 12.6" of surface area, so a cubic foot of air would be that surface extruded about 11.5'. At 790 fpm, that's roughly 69 cfm.

Samuel Espy
06-24-2015, 9:30 AM
Dan, I calculate 68.9 cfm, i.e. 69 cfm. So either your math is correct or we seem to make the same mistakes. ;-)

Keith Winter
06-24-2015, 9:57 AM
Hi Dan,

I believe that's incorrect because I'm feeding you the fpm off the interior grate in the Trotec not the 4" duct. You are factoring at the end of the 4" duct, that fpm was 5670. So by the surface area 11.5 you gave us that would make the cfm 493. Is that correct or are we still figuring it wrong?

Dan Hintz
06-24-2015, 11:27 AM
I believe that's incorrect because I'm feeding you the fpm off the interior grate in the Trotec not the 4" duct. You are factoring at the end of the 4" duct, that fpm was 5670. So by the surface area 11.5 you gave us that would make the cfm 493. Is that correct or are we still figuring it wrong?

Wherever that 790fpm measurement was made is where the 69cfm calculation comes from. If the measurement was made at the 4" port just inside the Trotec, then that's what you have at that point.

I'm also curious to know what SP you're getting at that point.

Matt McCoy
06-24-2015, 11:55 AM
Is there a reference minimum measurent?

What are you using to take measurements?

Thanks.

Steven Yates
07-07-2015, 1:45 PM
Multiple people on here use the 1hp hf. You can probably get away with it fine depending on how long your duct line is. Small laser short duct should be ok with the 1hp. However you might have a little smoke cutting in other situations. I'd spend the few extra bucks if you have it and go 2hp, the more air you can move the cleaner your laser will be.
I looked at the current draw of the 2 units and decided that I'm better off with the smaller unit if it moves enough air. I picked it up for under $100 Saturday with the sale price and the one-day-only 25% off coupon.

If anyone is interested in the 2HP unit, they have a Super Coupon for it this week so it is only $169.99. http://widgets.harborfreight.com/wswidgets/common/displayCoupon.do?week=more_coupons&campaign=wkend071315_dynamic&page=coupon12.html&cust=60270092559&keycode=1012&single=true

Now I need to try to hook up the one I bought to verify that it is good enough before the coupon expires next week. Does anybody have a suggestion on how to hook up to the outlet? The round connector for the bag looks to be an odd size.

Keith Winter
07-07-2015, 5:50 PM
I don't have the 1hp but I wouldn't be surprised if it was an odd size knowing harbor freight. You'll need to measure it. If it's an odd size you'll either have to find something in pvc, or find something online. Worst case you have to have a boot made by a sheet metal company (had to do that on my 3hp shop fox) or make one yourself out of sheet metal. This is all assuming it's not a standard 3", 4", 5", 6",etc port. If it's standard size then you're golden :)