PDA

View Full Version : Never underestimate the after sales from shows.

Robert Willing
06-19-2015, 10:52 PM
Good thingcome from gun/craft shows. The after show leads and projects are worththe effort. For the past five years I have made 120 Cigar pens from parts ofboats which are being restored. In spring of the year I usually get a packageof wood and then I know to call the boat restored in Minnesota and find outwhat he wants. This spring the boat was made in 1936 and the wood was mahogany fromthe keel. The first year the boat was made in 1938 and it was Cyprus from theplanked bottom. One year the wood was from a boat and boat house.

I guess the restorer gives the pens as mementos of the boat being restored. I also make a label and attach it to the bottom of the box indicating the vintage of the boat and reference the family who owns the boat.
Never underestimate the after sales from shows.

Keith Outten
06-20-2015, 8:36 AM
Robert,

Thanks for the information. I have original wood in my shop from the Presidential Yacht Sequoia and from the battleship North Carolina. I have been concentrating lately on Stonewall Jackson pens trying to get the first group completed having to work around other projects makes it tough to get pens turned and engraved.

Roger Chandler
06-20-2015, 8:53 AM
Robert,

Thanks for the information. I have original wood in my shop from the Presidential Yacht Sequoia and from the battleship North Carolina. I have been concentrating lately on Stonewall Jackson pens trying to get the first group completed having to work around other projects makes it tough to get pens turned and engraved.

I had wondered how your SJPT project was coming along, Keith. You had sent a couple of pics in a pm back last year if I recall, correctly. Looking forward to one of your masterpieces for my personal collection!

Keith Outten
06-20-2015, 1:38 PM
Roger,

I have made arrangements to visit one of your upcoming turners group meetings and I will bring the pens with me. It will be a surprise :)

Roger Chandler
06-20-2015, 3:19 PM
Roger,

I have made arrangements to visit one of your upcoming turners group meetings and I will bring the pens with me. It will be a surprise :)

Looking forward to meeting you in person Keith! Since I am currently V.P. of WoVa, let me know when.........it would be an honor to introduce you to our club at the meeting!

Robert Willing
06-20-2015, 8:52 PM
Roger

After looking at your home page and viewing all of your master pieces don't understand why you needed a new lathe?

Roger Chandler
06-20-2015, 9:48 PM
Roger

After looking at your home page and viewing all of your master pieces don't understand why you needed a new lathe?

That is so very kind of you, Robert! :o I do not consider myself a master woodturner.......I still have a LOT to learn! ;)

I got this new model G0766 for the following reasons. The upgrade in power, [I will acquire a coring rig at some point in the future and wanted the extra hp] and a premium inverter, the addition of a hand wheel, and the added swing and weight of this lathe over my former G0698 18/47.

I appreciate your taking a moment to look at my homepage..........if you visit it again, there is a contact page, and I would appreciate your impressions of my website........feel free to send an email to that contact address.......Thanks!