PDA

View Full Version : How to Fill Tiny Cavities in Figured Wood?

Steve H Graham
06-19-2015, 7:56 PM
I want to try my hand at making a small dovetailed box, so I needed wood. I got the planer and jointer running and made some 3/8" mahogany boards from some wood I stole from a trash pile a few years back.

Here's the thing. There is some nice figuring on one board, but there are cavities in it. I don't know if you can see it in the photo, but the dark spots contain nothing but air.

What's the best way to deal with these? I think filler would look like paste and spit. I am thinking maybe I should put clear epoxy in them so the dark red color will be visible. I assume I could level it off with a scraper.

Bradley Gray
06-19-2015, 8:24 PM
clear epoxy is good. I wait until I have a few coats of finish on a piece.

Mike Henderson
06-19-2015, 8:52 PM
I use epoxy, also, but I'll usually tint the epoxy dark brown, almost black. The holes come out looking like knots.

You can tint epoxy with powdered dye that you can buy at your local wood dealer. I forget the brand that I use.

Mike

Wade Lippman
06-19-2015, 8:58 PM
What's wrong with filler? A good color match will look better than either black or clear epoxy; and will certainly be easier.
But nothing will look good.
The wood looks like lauan to me, and I would put it back where you found it.

Steve H Graham
06-19-2015, 9:19 PM
Here's what it is. Very common here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swietenia_mahagoni#Cultivation_and_uses

jerry cousins
06-19-2015, 10:31 PM
have done this a bunch using veneers. i have a collection of dry artist pigments - basic colors - using 2 part expoxy - squeeze out a dab of the 1st part and slowly mix in colors until you get the right color/tone - use a toothpick to mix it in - there really isn't any rush since the 1st part doesn't begin to set without part 2 - then add the catalyst part, mix, and fill the holes. deep holes may take 2 fills - once you get the hang of mixing the pigments you can get very close to the color you need.
jerry

Steve H Graham
06-20-2015, 10:14 AM
Sounds good. Thanks for the help.

Yonak Hawkins
06-20-2015, 10:35 AM
have done this a bunch using veneers. i have a collection of dry artist pigments - basic colors - using 2 part expoxy - squeeze out a dab of the 1st part and slowly mix in colors until you get the right color/tone - use a toothpick to mix it in - there really isn't any rush since the 1st part doesn't begin to set without part 2 - then add the catalyst part, mix, and fill the holes. deep holes may take 2 fills - once you get the hang of mixing the pigments you can get very close to the color you need.
jerry

Mixing pigments in Bondo works the same way.

Ira Matheny
06-21-2015, 8:03 PM
I have successfully mixed fine sawdust into epoxy to match wood when filling voids or "Boo-Boo's". I have collected small baggies of of sanding dust of a dozen or more woods. I mix it into the epoxy before adding the catalyst.
However, I have found I wish to blend sanding dust to control the final look. Try several different mixes before placing on the final piece to be corrected.