PDA

View Full Version : Well it is finally that time to remodel our kitchen

John Gregory
06-19-2015, 4:51 PM
Our old appliances are beginning to fail. We bought a new fridge last year, too big for our current kitchen, just right for our planned kitchen :) Our oven is 40 years old and is a odd 27" wide. Now our microwave has failed.
Anyway my question is what does everyone suggest for a built-in range hood. We don't want to place a microwave one there again. We want to build it into the cabinetry. We want a re circulation unit. My wife does not cook a lot nowadays, but still needs a well functioning kitchen.

Thanks in advance for your help.

John

Steve Kohn
06-19-2015, 8:41 PM
I've installed several range hoods in the last couple of years. Some have been microwave/hood combination units and some have been plain hoods. In all cases the same hood, either combo or not, has been designed to recirculate or vent (top or back). One size does seem to fit all. I've been buying the units at the local big box stores. Various makes, since they all seem to come from China anyway.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-19-2015, 8:52 PM
Good luck John!

We are just ending the 10th week of our kitchen addition and remodel. The texturing was done Wednesday, the painter arrives Monday, the new cabinets deliver and install Thursday. Then there is the granite countertop templates, countertops, flooring, and backsplash.

I don't know what to tell you about the range hood. We specifically wanted one that vented to the outside.

Jim Becker
06-19-2015, 9:18 PM
Yea, venting to the outside is best, especially if you do a bit of cooking on higher heat or with oils.

James Baker SD
06-19-2015, 9:47 PM
Good luck John!

We are just ending the 10th week of our kitchen addition and remodel. The texturing was done Wednesday, the painter arrives Monday, the new cabinets deliver and install Thursday. Then there is the granite countertop templates, countertops, flooring, and backsplash.

You make me envious, I am entering month 51 of my kitchen remodel, but I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel, Maybe another 2 or 3 weeks. Yeah, I am a bit slow.

As per hood, I put one over a cook top in an island. It can be configured as either outside or recirculate, but I did not trust the recirculate so I cut the hole in the roof and piped it through. Since it never rains in California any more, haven't had much test of my sealing the roof back up. Our kitchen is visible from the entire living area of the house (no interior walls), my wife did not want the typical kitchen style hood, so we got something from Futurofuturo (company name is double) that is more a work of art than a hood in appearance, but it does a good job. A bit pricey, but I got a new TS out of the deal.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-19-2015, 10:01 PM
James,

That is the very reason why I farmed this kitchen addition and remodel out. We are still about 2-3 weeks away from completion except the finish carpentry which is my responsibility. My wife has an addiction and needs some "Grandma Time" so even if I don't have the finish carpentry done, we will be departing for a couple weeks. Her response to this tune to our general contractor today "It'll give him something to do when we get back." She's serious.

Bill Clifton
06-19-2015, 11:54 PM
The thread is about hoods. But I am 1 1/2 years and $17k into my redo. Today I hung the new wider laundry room bi-fold doors and tomorrow I start the 6 thresholds. Been fun.

eugene thomas
06-20-2015, 2:23 AM
as to the range hood I would hit the stores and see what ya like look of.

Victor Robinson
06-20-2015, 7:14 AM
Our old appliances are beginning to fail. We bought a new fridge last year, too big for our current kitchen, just right for our planned kitchen :) Our oven is 40 years old and is a odd 27" wide. Now our microwave has failed.
Anyway my question is what does everyone suggest for a built-in range hood. We don't want to place a microwave one there again. We want to build it into the cabinetry. We want a re circulation unit. My wife does not cook a lot nowadays, but still needs a well functioning kitchen.

John

Hiya John,
Are you inquiring more about which type of hood or brand/model to purchase or the process of building a custom cabinetry cover to surround and hide it (or both?)?

William A Johnston
06-20-2015, 9:09 AM
John,

One thing to look at about a vent a hood is the CFM rating is based on the BTU's of your cook top for heat displacement. If you don't get a cook top with a high BTU burner you won't have any issues re circulating.

Bill

jack duren
06-20-2015, 9:40 AM

John

You need to window shop the various units. Find what you like and peek at the specs for installation. Depth,exhaust and wiring come into play. At this point you will know how to involve it into the kitchen.

Are you building the cabinets yourself?