PDA

View Full Version : De-Waxing shellac

David Ragan
06-19-2015, 1:35 PM
Remember all that to-do about me putting into solution the raw Button Lac/Blonde (I can't recall right now) flakes, how they went into solution, and even after a month of sitting in the same motionless pot, still looks turbid?

There is a tiny layer @ the top, maybe 5-10% of the entire pot, that is sort of clear.

I want to de-wax it. How about if I put jug in frig, and let it settle again, and then pour off the top?

Won't the wax solidify, and the shellac be in solution if refrigerated (and left to stand for a week)?

Prashun Patel
06-19-2015, 1:47 PM
Yes it will. It's a pain to dewax shellac. Once you get it to separate, decanting it is an issue. You have to do it a couple times and even then it's not 100%. I tried it with Bulls eye with moderate success, but it was so not worth the effort - only for the experience.

Howard Acheson
06-19-2015, 1:58 PM
A number of years ago, I had a discussion with a couple of Zinnser tech reps. They told me that there were some additives to their Bulls Eye shellacs to lengthen the shelf life of their shellac. Those additives would also reduce the separation ability of the shellac.