PDA

View Full Version : Veritas edge plane. How useful?

Gene Davis
06-18-2015, 11:14 PM
I am offered one, hardly used, at a nice price.

Dan Hahr
06-18-2015, 11:29 PM
If the price is right, worry about the usefulness later.
Dan

Reinis Kanders
06-19-2015, 1:10 AM
I am offered one, hardly used, at a nice price.

It makes pretty curly shavings, but otherwise is not that useful. It is meant for people who machine their wood to remove tablesaw marks, etc. If you are mostly handtools then it really is not needed.

Hilton Ralphs
06-19-2015, 1:51 AM
It makes pretty curly shavings, but otherwise is not that useful. It is meant for people who machine their wood to remove tablesaw marks, etc. If you are mostly handtools then it really is not needed.

I'm not so sure about your observation there. I see the tool as something you would need to square up an edge if you don't have a jointer fence or your edge planing skills are not perfect (in terms of getting the edge perpendicular to the face).

What the heck, it sells for just over a $100 so if the offer is single figure just get it and as per Dan, worry about the usefulness later.

Jim Koepke
06-19-2015, 2:57 AM
My edge plane is the Stanley 95. It doesn't see use. It may someday, but for the larger things my jointer or even a #6 does a fine job.

jtk

Jim Matthews
06-19-2015, 7:32 AM
If you do lots of edge banding, or laminations it has no equal among handplanes.

If those are rare procedures in your shop, you'll have a nice clean tool at resale time.

I use a little block plane made by our very own Steve Voigt for this purpose
and it does other things as well. An edge plane is, well - only for edges.

Pat Barry
06-19-2015, 7:57 AM
If you do lots of edge banding, or laminations it has no equal among handplanes.
I see your point about it being a nice tool for edge banding, in fact that might be the single best use for it, but I am confounded by the idea of using for laminations. Can you elaborate on that aspect Jim?

Pedro Reyes
06-19-2015, 5:56 PM
I'm not so sure about your observation there. I see the tool as something you would need to square up an edge if you don't have a jointer fence or your edge planing skills are not perfect (in terms of getting the edge perpendicular to the face).

What the heck, it sells for just over a $100 so if the offer is single figure just get it and as per Dan, worry about the usefulness later.

For gluing panels, I prefer to gang up two boards, for edge boards I'm not sure I need it to be at 90.00000 degrees. If it is a table edge, who cares if it is 90 point something? the edges will be eased. If it is joinery (other than a panel) I usually cut a tounge or maybe the whole board goes in a dado/groove.

I have a 95 and really hardly ever justify using it, and I am no plane ninja.

Pedro.

Derek Cohen
06-19-2015, 9:12 PM
The edge plane is one of those speciality tools that gets little use, and generally one can and does find a work-around .. it is not an indispensible tool at all. However, it is really useful when the time comes - something like the side rabbet plane. At that point you are glad to have it.

I find use for the edge plane when squaring thin edges on an assembled box or drawer, and jointing thin boards, (either getting the edges square or creating a spring). It is not always easy or convenient to match plane square thin panel edges as the wood tends to cup.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Furniture/Linergrie%20Chest/Panel/1-jointing_zpst0tuujpk.jpg

I have a few(!) of them. Many years ago I purchased the LN right-and-left set. LV only offered a right-handed plane at the time and so were not in the equation. The LN set have worked well and been excellent users over the years. In recent years I acquired 2 of the LV edge planes - the Anniversary version and the miniature. That little miniature is no toy. The full size version, in stainless steel, uses a wheel adjuster and this is easier than the LN/Stanley design that uses a trigger.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Furniture/Linergrie%20Chest/Panel/2-jointing_zpsebqmlixe.jpg

As long as you do not expect to use the plane often, and therefore do not determine its value that way, then it is a useful plane for the collection.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hilton Ralphs
06-20-2015, 6:09 AM
I have a 95 and really hardly ever justify using it, and I am no plane ninja.

You have to wonder why Stanley didn't name it a #90 instead.

Jim Koepke
06-20-2015, 9:07 AM
You have to wonder why Stanley didn't name it a #90 instead.

They may not have had sharp engineers to relate it to the angle.

They also already had a few other planes with a designation of #90. One a large rabbet plane with wood wrapped in metal and the other a shoulder plane.

Later they also made a #90a & a #90j for five years.

Maybe one more would have been fun.

jtk

Maurice Ungaro
06-22-2015, 10:17 PM
I concur with Derek. I find it most useful for jointing thinner boards/smaller projects.

Gene Davis
06-23-2015, 12:19 AM
Thanks for all the comments. I am passing on this, as it is being offered at somewhere near $50, and it is not worth that much to me.

Maurice Ungaro
06-23-2015, 7:27 AM
So, is it a left, or right hand? And if you're passing on it, to quote Animal House..."mind if we dance wif yo date"?

Allen Jordan
06-23-2015, 6:58 PM
They're useful for squaring box bottoms, but I only use mine occasionally.

Mike Allen1010
06-23-2015, 8:22 PM
And if you're passing on it, to quote Animal House..."mind if we dance wif yo date"?

Classic Maurice! Now if only somebody had told me "fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life" when I was younger!

Maurice Ungaro
06-23-2015, 10:12 PM
And if you're passing on it, to quote Animal House..."mind if we dance wif yo date"?
Classic Maurice! Now if only somebody had told me "fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life" when I was younger!

Mike, would any of us have listened?