PDA

View Full Version : saw blade identification

kurt shanayda
06-18-2015, 10:43 AM
I was wondering if anyone here has heard of a saw blade made by a company named "north american"? I purchased a miter box saw with one of their blades and was trying to figure out if it is worth getting sharpened. thanks for any help!

John Donhowe
06-18-2015, 11:07 AM
Never heard of it, so I suspect it's a no-name brand. See if there's a country of origin printed on the blade- if "China" pops up, forget sharpening. Compare the size of the carbide tips on your blade with those of expensive and cheap blades; generally with more expensive/better quality blades the carbide tips are bigger, so allow resharpening, as well as being more robust in use.

scott spencer
06-18-2015, 11:20 AM
Take a pic or two...

kurt shanayda
06-18-2015, 11:31 AM
when i get home tonight i will take some pics... the blade is made in a the USA and i am fairy sure it is a full kerf blade. thanks for the replies.

Dave Cullen
06-19-2015, 10:02 AM
Vermont American I've heard of, but not North American.

Tom Walz
06-19-2015, 11:46 AM
North American is now NAP Gladu (They became North American Products and bought Gladu). They had a small chain of larger saw shops about 30 years ago. They bought Gladu a couple years ago.

They have tried a lot of things over the years. I think of them as pretty good industrial quality saw blades.

Your blade may well be worth sharpening depending on what has happened to it over the years. Find a saw shop and ask them.