PDA

View Full Version : Delta X5 28-475x 14" bandsaw

Brad Horstkotte
06-18-2015, 1:17 AM
Hi all, new member as of today, figured it’s about time I join since I keep reading threads here after Google searches. :) I’ve been looking for a 14” bandsaw the last couple months, my primary use would be for luthiery, building solid body electric guitars – so some curve cutting on 1-2” hardwood, and a fair amount of ripping and bookmatching of hardwood 6-8” wide. I ran across a Craigslist ad for a used Delta X5 28-475X from a guy just a couple miles from home. I checked it out, the seller seems like a nice honest older guy, selling off equipment due to arthritis.

+ rolling base
+ 1 1/2 HP motor
+ 16” table
+ several extra blades – 1/2”, 3/8”, 1/4”, a couple 1/8”
+ appears to have been babied, he was a hobbyist that mostly turned pens and other small stuff
+ nearby

- no fence
- comes with riser block, but only the block – so basically I’d have to buy a riser block kit
- since the saw is discontinued, parts are quite scarce (and priced accordingly when available)

So, a few questions:

- He’s asking $400 – I thought that was a pretty decent price since it included the riser block, but the block by itself doesn’t really do me any good, so maybe $350?
- Not sure what rip fences would fit – do the typical 14” fences only fit saws with 14” square tables?
- The other option would be the Grizzly G0555LANV, $545 right now – only 1 HP though, and would still need to add the rolling base and riser block (but does come with a fence)

Thoughts?

Rick Potter
06-18-2015, 3:46 AM
I believe that is one of the first ones that was made offshore, but so is every thing else. It seems like a pretty good price already, and should be a great saw for the price.

As far as parts.......they will never run out of USED 14" Delta parts on E-bay in your lifetime. NEW parts from Delta are a problem though.

WELCOME TO THE CREEK :)

J. Greg Jones
06-18-2015, 7:17 AM
I've had one nearly 10 years now, great bandsaw and mine was made in the USA-look for a 'Made in the USA' sticker on the lower door. I have the Kreg fence on mine, and as Rick mentioned I would not worry about parts availability. I bought a 18" Rikon bandsaw 3 years ago now, but still kept the Delta. I wouldn't sell mine, even without the fence and riser block, for $400...

Jeff Ramsey
06-18-2015, 7:36 AM
You'll have to be patient with a 1 1/2HP motor when you resaw thicker, hardwood stock.

Myk Rian
06-18-2015, 10:00 AM
You'll have to be patient with a 1 1/2HP motor when you resaw thicker, hardwood stock.
Why? Mine has 3/4 hp and does just fine.

Jeff Ramsey
06-18-2015, 10:15 AM
With a 12" slab of maple? Mine is 1 3/4 hp and I have to take it slow.

Brad Horstkotte
06-18-2015, 10:30 AM
Thanks all, I appreciate the input. Thankfully for once on a Craigslist posting of interest, I'm first in line - had a couple near misses recently ($50 mint 6" Geetech planer - ouch; Rikon 10-325).

It does have the "Made in U.S.A." sticker on the base.

I'm OK with taking it a bit slow on ripping wide hardwood, I don't expect to do a super high volume, and I don't have 18" saw expectations for a 14" saw. :)

Now if I can just find someone local to help lug it home...

John Lanciani
06-18-2015, 10:48 AM
...Now if I can just find someone local to help lug it home...

If we knew where "local" was, someone might volunteer. ;)

Brad Horstkotte
06-18-2015, 12:15 PM
If we knew where "local" was, someone might volunteer. ;)

Oops, fixed (profile location) - Torrance, CA

Brad Horstkotte
06-18-2015, 12:24 PM
Trigger pulled - he also had a Delta oscillating spindle sander that he wanted to get rid of, so I offered 500 for both and he accepted, not bad I think since they go for 300 new, so basically 400 for the bandsaw and 100 for the spindle sander, or 350/150.

Now should I deliver flowers to my wife before I bring the saw home, or after?

Allan Speers
06-18-2015, 1:26 PM
You got a GREAT bandsaw and a really great deal. (That saw sold new for $1,000 in 2005, with no fence.)

I have had that same saw for 10 years. It's the last 100% all USA-made BS Delta produced, and the best 14" band saw they ever made. IMO it's overall nicer than the current Laguna. It has heavy wheels, beefy dual cast iron trunnions, incredibly easy-to-adjust guides, tension release, etc etc etc.

Also, have no fear using a 3/4" blade. That frame & spring can handle one with no problems. (I wouldn't try a carbide blade, though. Stick to Timberwolf, etc.) Another way to go would be to stay with 1/2", but get a Laguna carbide blade. You lose some beam strength, but you have the advantage of "always" having a super-sharp blade. Carbide blades are stiffer than regular blades (although the Lagunas are the thinnest) so a 3/4" might not last on 14" wheels. The frame can take it (it's ~ 40 lbs heavier than the Laguna 14's frame, and cast iron to boot) but the blade itself might fail. If I were you, I'd call Laguna and ask for their opinion on this.

If you get it aligned perfectly, you'll have no problem resawing 8" of hard maple. 12" is doable, but you do have to go slowly, and make sure you have a VERY sharp blade.

Get the Kreg fence, it bolts right in with no modifications.

Your biggest problem might be the riser block parts, since they aren't made any longer. Basically, we're talking about the extended blade guard. I imagine that with some inginuity you can kludge one together from, say, Grizzly parts.

Brad Horstkotte
06-18-2015, 1:41 PM
Thanks Allan!

The deal just got better, the seller texted me back that he found the rest of the riser block kit parts! woot! :happy dance:

pat macaluso
10-22-2017, 1:00 AM
How do you like it?

Rick Potter
10-22-2017, 1:47 AM
Welcome to the creek Pat.

You may notice I posted on this thread. I was wrong about it being one of the first off shore Delta's. After looking into this model myself, I looked for several years for one of these, and found one two years ago or so. I have cleaned and tuned it up, and really like it. I have had several Delta/Rockwell 14" over the years, and this one is my favorite. Mine have varied from 1/2 to 3/4 HP, but this one is 1 1/2HP, has a two inch larger table, blade tension lever, mobile base, and is now like new. It's a keeper.

Don't know about Brad, but I like mine.