PDA

View Full Version : So the wife cuts my heart out this weekend

Scott Coffelt
08-15-2005, 10:19 AM
So were sitting around and she says she wants to drive to Dallas to look at contemporary furniture. I am thinking, great, new ideas.

Then she says, I sure would like to buy a new dining room table for Thanksgiving since we're having it here this year. You could hear the knife cutting bones as it went through my heart.

After I got off the floor I asked what she though all those tools were fer in the shop. She says, oh were you still planning on making a dining room set. No, just buy tools to look at them

I knew I shouldn't have boughten cheap shelves at Lowe's, so now I have to come up with a design for the table.

Jason Tuinstra
08-15-2005, 10:28 AM
Scott, let me try and soften the blow a bit. I'm sure it wasn't a slight of your ability. I have often had the urge to buy something instead of building it if only for the i.g. factor (instant gratification). Perhpas your wife was thinking of the i.g. factor. Or perhaps she knew how long your to-do list is already and didn't want to overburden you. Whenever my wife has suggested "a purchase" those are usually the reasons. At least I think those are the reasons :confused: Hmm..... :p :D

Keith Christopher
08-15-2005, 10:39 AM
So were sitting around and she says she wants to drive to Dallas to look at contemporary furniture. I am thinking, great, new ideas.

Then she says, I sure would like to buy a new dining room table for Thanksgiving since we're having it here this year. You could hear the knife cutting bones as it went through my heart.

After I got off the floor I asked what she though all those tools were fer in the shop. She says, oh were you still planning on making a dining room set. No, just buy tools to look at them

I knew I shouldn't have boughten cheap shelves at Lowe's, so now I have to come up with a design for the table.

Bah! She's goading you into moving it to the top of the list ! Women understand men completely and know what buttons to push to make us move. (this is a compliment to women BTW so no offense ladies) But it's all good as sometimes we men need motivation.

As for the shelves, read your post in the weekend accomplishments, I agree with the purchased shelves, couple hours and you have complete shelves _vs_ couple hours and you have clamped up some boards for glue up. Smart move for something as utility as shelves IMHO.

Based upon your other works, I can't wait to see the pics of the DR set you build.

Keith

Steve Jenkins
08-15-2005, 10:41 AM
If you do drive down stop in and say hi. Maybe instead of looking at dining tables you can go to Curly Woods and look at dining table lumber.:>)

John Miliunas
08-15-2005, 10:52 AM
I think Keith C. is all over this one!!!:) LOML pulls that on me every now and again, primarily to get me "motivated". Sheeeesh....I AM motivated. Just because I spend some time sharpening my irons or making jigs or watching recorded David Marks shows doesn't mean I'm not motivated!!!:D Scott, like Keith said, I think she just pushed the "get on this project" button! Take it as a compliment!!!:) :cool:

Steve Clardy
08-15-2005, 10:53 AM
I fully understand. They just kinda give up on ya sometimes.
My problem is---I have twenty or more different things to do in the house, and She keeps coming up with projects. I get one done, and theres 10 more to think about doing, or try to accomplish. I'll never get caught up.

Jeff Sudmeier
08-15-2005, 12:42 PM
My LOML is strange sometimes too! Just this weekend she was asking when I was going to get started on the Bedroom set! I'm not even done with the SUPER SECRET projects yet :)

Then about an hour later, she wanted to THROW AWAY my favorite pen that I made out of an arrow!! To her defense, she is a nurse so we have 1000's of drug pens in the house, but come on, talk about a blow to the pride!

Dave Tinley
08-15-2005, 1:27 PM
Scott-
Seems we are in similar boats-
I am rebuiding the kitchen cabinets right now, then getting ready to retile the floor. My wife says after all the remodeling is done, she wants to buy a new kitchen table.
Now mind you, I have built her a drop front desk, a amoire, a couple of side tables for the spare bedroom, a file cabinet and now she wants to BUY a kitchen table.

I am looking at the Mini-max sc3 table saw.
She buys the kitchen table and that saw will be mine ;)
Stay tuned folks, there is gonna be a Jet cabinet saw available :)

Dave

Scott Coffelt
08-15-2005, 1:46 PM
Well to a least provide some defense of her, she really liked this table for the kitchen. Asks if I would make it, I told her I could but I may be a little crazy, since I don't do metal work. So we got a great deal and bought it. Now, I must add that it is mainly glass and metal, with somthing you could call wood, but not really. So her comment after i picked my pride and jaw off the floor was.... well I asked if you wanted to make the kitchen table and you said let's just buy that one....

Steve, I have a rather large pile of wood int he garage I bought from Mike to build kitchen cabinets. I fear another stop in McKinney wuould result in trouble for me since my storage situation isn't the greatest.

Now to get to that dinning room table design. I already have a design I like for the buffet cabinet. Chairs, still toying with bulding or buying depending on the style she likes.

Dev Emch
08-15-2005, 1:57 PM
Scott...

I have lots of expresions here so where do I start. How about OHHHH BOOOY! Yabba Dabba Dooooo! The software engineering folks have a word for this action... its called task preemption. In english, it means drop everything and move her issues to the front burner. Not only is this the politically correct thing to do but in a nut shell, she asked for it!:)

Take her to the Stickley show room and see if anything there hits her fancy. Leave the cheap emporiums alone. Your looking for a 20,000 to 30,000 dollar dining room sets. Once the druel is flowing and you have the hook set, then drop the price tag at the same time where your pointing out flaws in design and workmanship and throw in a few, "See I knew that... I would never do that" comments.:p:rolleyes::cool:

Take a few notes as well and take your tape measure. I would suggest taking a digital camera but I have been thrown out of furniture stores for bringing my digital camera along. Some folks just get so testy at times.:p

Once you have a game plan on the table for a new project including not only the table but a future direction... your going to need chairs, hutchs, china cabinets, and whatever else belongs in a dining room. These are future projects that tie into the current project. Begin an estimate of your primary and secondary lumber needs. Also, examin your tool set and see if there are any other major tools that would be of significant help such as, I dont know, maybe a shaper? How about one or two Festool tools? That one is up to you.

Now is the time to strike. First of all, the fact that she brought this up in this manner suggests that someone has not finished a few honey dos ontime. Or she is wondering about what you intend to do with all those woodworking tools... machines that dont mean much to her other than they take up space, consume hubby time and cost dead presidents. If I sound like I have heard this all before, your right! We all have. But every cloud has a silver lining and I combat this tatic with my counter tatic... NEED MORE TOOLS. MORE TOOLS... MORE POWER.

And all it takes is one very successful project. Something that is drop dead delious and useful to her. Something that her friends can get envious over. Then your in. She will have learned the "wrong lesson". That is, "If I give my hubby some lumber and a couple of those wacky tools, then I get XYZ for myself and for much less than if we had to buy it". Of course, she also learns that she can manipulate you into makeing these items... she thinks she has found the reigns of control... in actuallity, you have found the chance to just enjoy your hobby a bit more.

Good luck and let us know how this turns out....

scott spencer
08-15-2005, 1:57 PM
Good news! All I gleaned from your note is that you have a green light for spending nearly unlimited time in the shop between now and T-day, which BTW includes some forgiveness for other annoying little chores like trash, taxi and lawn duty. You made out like a bandit pal! There's a pic post in your future! :D

Edit: <Rosanne Rosanna Dana voice on> "....never mind" <RRD voice off> Just read the part about you buying it.

Don Baer
08-15-2005, 1:58 PM
I am looking at the Mini-max sc3 table saw.
She buys the kitchen table and that saw will be mine ;)

Dave,
You should be able to get the Mini in either case.

"Gee honey I'll make it for ya, I just need to up grade a few tools "

or

"Gee honey, You got a new table so I get a new Saw "

:rolleyes:

Jack Diemer
08-15-2005, 2:23 PM
Pictures, we need pictures, I'm from Missouri, you have to "show me"

Larry Copas
08-15-2005, 4:11 PM
Could be worse. We had this real expensive antique table...also really ugly and I made lotsa fun of it. :rolleyes: Came home few weeks ago from out of town...honey where is the dining room table? :confused: I sold it. What are we going to eat on? TV trays until you get the new table made. :o

Well table is mostly completed...anybody know how to make chairs? Need eight and have never made one in my life.

Randy Moore
08-15-2005, 4:39 PM
...Asks if I would make it, I told her I could but I may be a little crazy, since I don't do metal work. So we got a great deal and bought it. Now, I must add that it is mainly glass and metal, with somthing you could call wood, but not really...
Hey s
Scott, I do metal work all the time. Maybe I can help you get this project done. Give me a shout if you want help. BTW I am not in the book.
I live in Kansas but was born in Missouri so it is still show me.
Randy:)

Scott Coffelt
08-15-2005, 6:09 PM
Randy, I'll shoot pics of the table when I get it, I figured I could make it, but I caved on this one. Will not cave ont he dining room set.

Stickley, that would lead to divorce in my household. Let's say our taste are a lot like Mark Singer's.... modern designs based on age old design.

For those in the KC area that would be Contemporary Concepts, or Cantoni for those int he Dallas area.

I am thinking something simple yet elegant in design. Heck I have plenty of time, Nov. 24th.