PDA

View Full Version : Tube recharge

bill gervais
06-17-2015, 9:35 AM
Unfortunately it is time for tube regas. We have 60 watt epilog helix with coherent tube. Epilog offers a swap to their tube but initial exchange is pricy. Any other suggestions? I am looking for quality at a reasonable price and trying to avoid many of the scam artist out there.

Bill

Mike Null
06-17-2015, 9:38 AM
Your best bet is probably Epilog. I used Photovac in Grove City, Ohio for mine and I am very well pleased with their work but they are not a bargain basement house. Mine, also a Coherent, was a re-manufacture, not just a re-gas. I got a one year warranty with it for about $2800.

Tony Lenkic
06-17-2015, 10:56 AM
Bill,

Check this add on Ebay, close to your location.

Ebay listing # 121663258350

Bruce Clumpner
06-17-2015, 12:04 PM
I chose to go with the Epilog x-change/upgrade for my tube. Got a chance to add 5 more watts and extended the warranty another year to 2 full years.. It was worth the up-charge to make the change. Would do it again.

Kev Williams
06-17-2015, 5:36 PM
Bill,

Check this add on Ebay, close to your location.

Ebay listing # 121663258350
I've been extremely curious about these ebay recharger's myself, as my BIL's 40w Synrad is on it's way out...

Gary Hair
06-17-2015, 8:53 PM
I've been extremely curious about these ebay recharger's myself, as my BIL's 40w Synrad is on it's way out...

He has lots of positive feedback, but I have to admit I'm still a bit hesitant to use them for my money-making equipment. If I were a hobbyist and not under deadlines that would cost money, then I'd probably not be too worried. As it is, I can't afford to try and get something a few hundred (or even a few thousand) cheaper that may cost me thousands in lost revenue.

Mike Null
06-17-2015, 9:37 PM
My reason precisely, for using Photovac.

Kev Williams
06-17-2015, 10:04 PM
$850 and great reviews, it's not exactly like buying a Rolex in Tijuana... ;)

Mike Null
06-18-2015, 7:50 AM
I just read most of the info on their web site and think I would check them out if I needed another rebuild. http://www.dpilasers.com/

Gary Hair
06-18-2015, 9:53 AM
$850 and great reviews, it's not exactly like buying a Rolex in Tijuana... ;)

Why are you wearing that Rolex Kev? To make money or to know what time it is? Even a broken watch is right twice a day...

Darren Wilson
10-06-2015, 11:43 PM
Hello All,
I'm at the point of making a decision Epilog or Ebay...
For the Epilog price point here in AU (about $7K), I could have a nice holiday with the family overseas! $850USD (+$1.2K Shipping) is very tempting, especially with me just trying to find my feet with the business.
Pros of the Epilog route are: 1)Tube swap, from current C-Series to Epilog Branded, same day swap 2) 2 year warranty 3) support local business. Cons: Co$t
Pros of Ebay: 1) Cost - I could do a lot with the extra $$ 2) 1 year warranty, Cons: 1)4-6 days travel time to and fro +8-10 repair time 2) 1 year warranty 3) potential that I never see my tube again. Reading about operations like Bell laser really make me apprehensive about sending my tube overseas for repair. I can barely afford to get it fixed, much less replace it entirely.

Between a rock and a hard place