PDA

View Full Version : If or when a fire strikes - what to do

Graham Taylor
06-17-2015, 4:53 AM
Hi guys,

I have not had a fire and, touch wood will never have one.

However, after reading a couple of other threads that mention fires, I was wondering if there was 'good practice' guide as to what to do if fire strikes during a job?

I have a CO2 extinguisher next to my machine but what do I do when I see one starting?

stop job
switch off machine
open lid and spray with extinguisher
???
???

Cheers

Steve Morris
06-17-2015, 5:03 AM
personally I would open the lid and spray immediately - stopping the fire is the first concern.
opening the lid is the emergency stop on the Speedy so that stops the job running

pull the plug or shut off power and kill the extractor at the same time unless it stops when the lid is opened.

breathe a sigh of relief (assuming it didn't spread)

put the kettle on and have a good check for damage.

Rich Harman
06-17-2015, 5:34 AM
This is what I would do for an actual fire, not flare ups.

Push E-Stop, or whatever it takes to cut power to the machine, extractor and air assist
Put fire out by whatever means fits the situation*
Run extractor to clear smoke - unless doing so presents a hazard
Once the area is secured, go take a break

*If the fire is out of control call 911, then if possible cut power to machine and extraction (main breaker if necessary) - you don't want to be drawing more fresh air to the fire. Then do whatever you safely can to minimize the spread of the fire.

Steve Morris
06-17-2015, 7:13 AM
Call 999 - you might get a quicker response than 911 :D

Bert Kemp
06-17-2015, 10:29 AM
Whats 999:confused: 911 is the emergency response # here in the states, I have to guess 999 is the same in England?

Call 999 - you might get a quicker response than 911 :D

Graham Taylor
06-17-2015, 10:32 AM
so its all common sense then - I didnt know if there was a 'proper' proceedure.

And I may get a quicker responce if I did dial 911 - the guys who did the refit on out unit we all serving firefigters and man do they like a cup of tea or 50 :D

Steve Morris
06-17-2015, 12:59 PM
Yes Bert 999 is the UK equivalent of 911, surprisingly we aren't all from USA on this site. ;)

Graham, I reckon if they fill the Fire engines with tea not water we would have a lot more firefighters :D

Julian Ashcroft
06-17-2015, 1:15 PM
911 works in the UK too.

Keith Winter
06-17-2015, 2:18 PM
We have a fire blanket right next to the machine and then an extinguisher for super emergencies. Never had to use it though thankfully. How do you guys feel about the fire blanket, good/bad?

Dave Sheldrake
06-17-2015, 3:33 PM
Yes Bert 999 is the UK equivalent of 911, surprisingly we aren't all from USA on this site. ;)

Graham, I reckon if they fill the Fire engines with tea not water we would have a lot more firefighters :D

Trumpton and the Water Faries :)

Bert Kemp
06-17-2015, 3:56 PM
If the blanket fits into the engraving area I guess its fine but if it has to be pushed in or just doesn't fit then not so good. I'd want to make sure to put all the fire out and if the blanket can't completely cover the fire then its no good. I keep a spray bottle right on the machine and I stand there and watch it cut. If I have to go P or need coffee I hit pause.

Trumpton and the Water Faries :)

Steve Morris
06-17-2015, 5:25 PM
CO2 is probably the quickest and cleanest way to remove the oxygen from the flame, also opening the lid (on the speedy) shuts off the laser so removing the source of ignition.
Bert, you are spot on never leave it when its running.

"Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grub"

Kev Williams
06-17-2015, 5:26 PM
I can't imagine anything that I'd put inside my laser that would be so flammable or would start a fire so big that I'd need anything but a damp towel or blanket to put the fire out if one started.

Rich Harman
06-17-2015, 5:29 PM
I can't imagine anything that I'd put inside my laser that would be so flammable or would start a fire so big that I'd need anything but a damp towel or blanket to put the fire out if one started.

Sure, if you are present when it happens. It seems the big problems are when a small fire starts, but no one is there to stop it.

matthew knott
06-17-2015, 5:33 PM
there was a good reason for it being 999 in the UK, doesnt apply anymore since the advent of push button phones

Kev Williams
06-17-2015, 5:34 PM
As I said, I can't imagine anything I would put inside my laser ...

Rich Harman
06-17-2015, 10:51 PM
As I said, I can't imagine anything I would put inside my laser ...

I'm having trouble imagining what you could put in your laser that could catch fire but easily be put out with a damp towel - but not turn into a bigger fire if left unattended.

Dave Sheldrake
06-18-2015, 4:35 AM
there was a good reason for it being 999 in the UK, doesnt apply anymore since the advent of push button phones

something like to prevent accidentally miss-dialling wasn't it Matt?

Dave Sheldrake
06-18-2015, 4:37 AM
I'm having trouble imagining what you could put in your laser that could catch fire but easily be put out with a damp towel - but not turn into a bigger fire if left unattended.

Same Rich, no fire ever starts big...they just get that way quickly :)

Bert Kemp
06-18-2015, 12:42 PM
Well see that's the thing, to prevent the bigger fires you have to be there when the small fire starts. (and they will)
When I had my first laser I had a fire due to I wasn't watching it. It was less then 3 feet away on my left as I was sitting at the computer doing something and glancing over at the laser every now and then. I had a piece of 1/4 BB that caught fire on the bottom side and of course the exhaust was sucking the smoke and flame down and out so I didn't think anything was wrong at a glance. Till the wood burned thru to the top of the sheet and now the whole sheets on fire and the belts, and plastic wheels on the carriage and poof major rebuild job. OH Kev it was a small sheet of BB 9x12)
I was lucky I was in the room and not out cooking breakfast or something as I had done in the past. I was a newbie and didn't realize how quickly things can get out of control. I could have burned down the house real easy.
So now I stand there and watch it and have a spray bottle right there. I also have a Co2 in the Kitchen which is about 10 feet from the laser.

Mark Ross
06-18-2015, 3:18 PM
Last step...

Empty underwear.

Graham Taylor
06-19-2015, 4:36 AM
So in people's experience, the most fire susceptable material is paper/card (?) down to anodised aluminium (?) and I assume that engraving or just cutting also has an effect on the materials position in this list.

So, in people's experience, what is the list from most to best fire resistant material with regards to what people put in their lasers?

Rich Harman
06-19-2015, 8:08 AM
So, in people's experience, what is the list from most to best fire resistant material with regards to what people put in their lasers?

There is nothing that can burn but can't develop into a fire. If you can cut it, it can probably start a fire. Not much point in ranking them since they are all equally capable of burning down your shop/house.

I use a strong air assist and never get a flare up. At least as long as everything works as intended. Many things could happen to change that, doesn't matter what the material is.

Ed Maloney
06-19-2015, 10:47 AM
A couple of years ago a new customer called me and said he needed a new person to do laser engraving of some awards. I asked him what happened to the guy that was doing the work before. Turns out the guy had 2 lasers in his house and while running a job on both lasers he decided to go out to lunch. When he returned he had no lasers or a house either.

Keith Winter
06-19-2015, 12:37 PM
Bert forgive my ignorance, but what's BB? Baltic Birch?

Well see that's the thing, to prevent the bigger fires you have to be there when the small fire starts. (and they will)
When I had my first laser I had a fire due to I wasn't watching it. It was less then 3 feet away on my left as I was sitting at the computer doing something and glancing over at the laser every now and then. I had a piece of 1/4 BB that caught fire on the bottom side and of course the exhaust was sucking the smoke and flame down and out so I didn't think anything was wrong at a glance. Till the wood burned thru to the top of the sheet and now the whole sheets on fire and the belts, and plastic wheels on the carriage and poof major rebuild job. OH Kev it was a small sheet of BB 9x12)
I was lucky I was in the room and not out cooking breakfast or something as I had done in the past. I was a newbie and didn't realize how quickly things can get out of control. I could have burned down the house real easy.
So now I stand there and watch it and have a spray bottle right there. I also have a Co2 in the Kitchen which is about 10 feet from the laser.

Keith Winter
06-19-2015, 12:38 PM
WOW :eek: that's terrible.

A couple of years ago a new customer called me and said he needed a new person to do laser engraving of some awards. I asked him what happened to the guy that was doing the work before. Turns out the guy had 2 lasers in his house and while running a job on both lasers he decided to go out to lunch. When he returned he had no lasers or a house either.

Bert Kemp
06-19-2015, 12:42 PM
Bert forgive my ignorance, but what's BB? Baltic Birch?

yes Baltic Birch

Kev Williams
06-19-2015, 3:57 PM
I've started transfer tape on fire a few times. I've caught a sheet of paper on fire a couple of times. Towels put those out. Most of my fires are of stuff in the laser I'm not even engraving, started by the beam before it gets to the lens-boxes taller than the beam path, gloves that I laid on the edge of the cabinet that hung over... Bad habit I have, leaving stuff in or around the cabinet, but I'm working on it... :)

I've never caught Rowmark or plex on fire. Or wood. And I do a lot of stainless and aluminum.