PDA

View Full Version : Need help with box construction

Guy Baxter
08-15-2005, 9:46 AM
Planning to make an authentic reproduction of this box but I'm having trouble getting dimensions off the following pictue.

Keith Weber
08-15-2005, 10:25 AM
It looks 12 inches cubed to me! :-)

I think, though, that the glue-up might present a little bit of a problem.

Keith

Dave Brandt
08-15-2005, 11:10 AM
Shouldn't really be a problem. Most of my work comes out having "features" like these! :D

Don Baer
08-15-2005, 12:20 PM
That makes my eyes hurt just looking at it.

:eek:

Bob Noles
08-15-2005, 12:28 PM
Guy,

Aren't Mondays bad enough already? :eek:

Jeff Sudmeier
08-15-2005, 12:37 PM
Photoshop :) Take a picture of your box and then edit it :)

It does look cool though! Someone figure out how to do it!

Steve Silber
08-15-2005, 1:40 PM
I expect that it shouldn't be all that hard to make this cube. Start with 12 equal lengths for the edges, use your joinery of preference
(probably tenons rather than butt joints!) and dry fit. Choose the perspective point that you want to observe (take picture from) and
extend lines from that point to the back vertical edge, showing where to cut the the front top edge. The angle will be critical, since
there can be no gap ( or overlap) when viewed from the perspective point. Cut, glue, and photograph. Proper lighting for 'good' shadows
and shading will help. Gluing the cut edge will be a problem - perhaps a splint clamped across the cut will permit clamping
pressure and assure that the edge pieces are properly aligned.

I've seen pictures of such a cube from angles other than the 'proper' perspective point, but never attempted to make one.

Alan Tolchinsky
08-15-2005, 2:41 PM
you're allowed to ask that according to the rules. :) Are you serious?

Dan Forman
08-15-2005, 3:38 PM
Somebody has way too much time on their hands. :D

Dan

Rey Johnson
08-15-2005, 3:39 PM
The center back leg is over top of the front top piece. I just can't see how this would be possible.

John Hemenway
08-15-2005, 3:51 PM
Leigh has a jig to do this. Works with a tool from Festool or Binford. I hear the Festool has better dust collection, thou...

So, did the month of April start and I missed it? :)

Roy Wall
08-15-2005, 4:45 PM
Photoshop :) Take a picture of your box and then edit it :)

It does look cool though! Someone figure out how to do it!

Photoshop:

1) Make a duplicate layer of the cube

2) Stay on original layer and select the eraser tool

3) erase over the front / horizontal bar to reveal the vertical ( back corner bar)

Vaughn McMillan
08-15-2005, 5:05 PM
As John pointed out above, there are jigs for this box. Personally, I like the Binford jig best...the dust collection isn't all that important when working with Shlamaca, which of course, is the perfect wood for this project.

Your pic brings back a lot of memories. Years ago I when was in a band, we were in the studio recording a album and simultaneously trying to come up with a design for the album cover. The studio we were recording in had several carpeted walls, and on one of them they had done a carpet inlay of the same box pattern illusion. We ended up using a redrawn version of the graphic for the album cover.

- Vaughn