PDA

View Full Version : Record 778, Quality Question

Stew Denton
06-17-2015, 12:20 AM
Hi All,

I have been thinking about trying to buy a Record 778, but don't know much about the quality issues with that particular plane. I do like the design that has two guide rods, though, as opposed to some that have only one.

I think there have been some comments on this forum about Record joining the "race to the bottom" on quality, but have no experience with Record myself.

As far as I know, I have little choice but to buy one off the auction site, if I buy one.

My questions are: are most of the Record 778s pretty good, and is there something you can look for to tell a good one from one that is not so good? I couldn't find anything on type studies on the net.

Another question: is there a better way to buy one than off the auction site?

I am not in a hurry, as I have a Stanley 45 that I can use for the same jobs.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks and regards,

Stew

Bill Houghton
06-17-2015, 4:26 PM
My sense is that Record was pretty decent until Irwin bought them - not sure of when.

It's generally true that older is better. Record held on to quality longer than Stanley, after WWII.

Jim Koepke
06-17-2015, 4:57 PM
My Record 778 seems to have a habit of the screws coming loose during use. Frequent checking used to be part of my routine during use. Now a small pair of pliers, 6", is used to snug the fence screws and depth stop screw before use. This can be done carefully so as to not leave marks on the screws. They just need to be a little tighter than my old fingers can get them.

I have also added a piece of wood to the fence. Making sure the fence is parallel to the edge of the plane is another point to consider. This is true of any fenced plane.

jtk

Tom M King
06-17-2015, 6:49 PM
The 778 that I bought new in the '70s still works like a charm, and has never given me any trouble or fight yet. I not only still use it, but it probably gets as much use as any other non-bench plane.

Frank Drew
06-19-2015, 11:37 AM
The 778 that I bought new in the '70s still works like a charm, and has never given me any trouble or fight yet. I not only still use it, but it probably gets as much use as any other non-bench plane.

What Tom said; I bought mine around the same time and it's one of my favorite tools. I think it's one of the best designed commercial planes ever and, IMO, a real qualitative improvement on Stanley's 78. I don't know how long they made it and if the quality dropped off at any point, but one in good condition from one of the internet auction sites, or wherever, would be well worth serious consideration if the price was right.

Jim Koepke
06-19-2015, 12:13 PM
one in good condition from one of the internet auction sites, or wherever, would be well worth serious consideration if the price was right.

+1 on this.

jtk