PDA

View Full Version : Acadia National Park - recommendations?

Doug Ladendorf
06-16-2015, 4:58 PM
I'm thinking about taking the family up to Acadia for a few days in August. Any recommendations from those who have been there? We may camp so campgrounds and outfitters appreciated. (It has not gotten past me that there is a certain premium hand tool supplier on the way there and back... ;) )

Thanks
Doug

Kent A Bathurst
06-16-2015, 6:26 PM
Yes:

Eat a lobster roll ever day.

Maybe two.

EDIT: Oh - yeah - take the boat to Isle au Haut, and hike around for the day..............no lobster rolls there, so you have to have an extra one the day before to make up for it.

Prashun Patel
06-16-2015, 8:04 PM
I am going there in August too, but that tool maker is in the wrong direction for me 😞

Jim Mackell
06-16-2015, 8:23 PM
If you end up camping, check out the Bar Harbor CG. Closest one to the park and the least expensive. Cash only, no reservations, but with over 300 sites, we've never been left out. Enjoy your trip.

Jim Becker
06-16-2015, 8:27 PM
We are also "really close" to finalizing plans to visit Acadia at the end of August for our annual vacation. Must be the place for 'Creekers to go this summer! LOL

Prashun, let me know privately when you'll be up there to see if there will be any overlap.

Doug Ladendorf
06-16-2015, 9:21 PM
I guess it's the great migration from these parts. Jim I see you are just across the river. I was in Newtown last night for the turning club meeting.

Matt Meiser
06-16-2015, 9:25 PM
Yes:

Eat a lobster roll ever day.

Maybe two.

Terrible advise. Some days you must eat whole lobster from the roadside stands (aka lobster pounds.) :D

We camped at a campground right after you cross on the island but that's more of an RV park. LOTS to do up there. Our daughter was probably about 7 at the time so we did a number of kids things but there is stuff for everyone.

Walter Plummer
06-16-2015, 9:27 PM
I have not camped but this just happens to be at the entrance to the park. Case it rains or something. http://www.jonesport-wood.com/hullscove.html

Doug Ladendorf
06-16-2015, 9:33 PM
I have not camped but this just happens to be at the entrance to the park. Case it rains or something. http://www.jonesport-wood.com/hullscove.html

Oh shoot. My wife curses you!

Pat Barry
06-17-2015, 7:39 AM
Acadia is great. We stayed in a nice old hotel in town though, no camping. We loved the fjord, the coastline, and the lobster boils. Yum. We took a mackerel fishing trip out of Booth Bay Harbor - I caught no mackerel but the view of the shoreline was great looking in from the ocean.

Ole Anderson
06-17-2015, 8:31 AM
Two words: lobster pounds

Frankly the thing I remember is driving up Cadillac mountain. We stayed at a nice B&B. The day before (or was it after) we stayed on a B&B that had sails and an anchor. Pretty cool. Don't forget to sample every one's chowdah.

roger wiegand
06-17-2015, 9:23 AM
Save a little room for blueberry pie after the lobstahs.

Stan Powers
06-17-2015, 9:41 AM
Make sure to get out onto the carriage roads and interior trails. Some great views and old bridges built in the 1800's. Take your bikes or rent them there.

Randy Red Bemont
06-17-2015, 10:29 AM
Watch a sunrise from on top of Cadillac mountain. It's the first place in the country that the sunrise hits. We hiked bubble rock and had awesome views of Jordan pond. The whole place is beautiful.

Red

ryan paulsen
06-17-2015, 11:28 AM
I worked for 2 summers up at the MDI Bio Lab when I was in college, man I miss that place. Check out thunder hole on a windy/wavy day, cadillac mountain sunrise, Atlantic Brewing company (if you're a beer guy, try Brother Adams Braggot!!!), whale watching, kayaking, all the usual waterfront stuff is awesome up there. Town is "wicked" crowded that time of year, but there's plenty to do outside of downtown to keep you busy.

Mark Patoka
06-17-2015, 12:36 PM
We spent our family vacation at Acadia for a week last June. Great place and we'd like to go back just for the fresh lobster. We rented a house in Bernard, on the opposite end of the island from the main tourist town of Bar Harbor but still only 20 minutes drive away from anything. You'll find plenty of things to do but some things to check out:

- The Mount Desert Oceanarium - great for kids, you learn a lot about lobsters and there is a lot of touchy/feely stuff and activities for everyone to do. www.theoceanarium.com (http://www.theoceanarium.com)
- Carriage Roads - rent bicycles and spend the day riding smooth gravel roads all over the island. We rented from Southwest Cycles in Southwest Harbor.
- Cadillac Mountain, Thunder Hole, Sand Beach, just about everything in the Nat'l Park
- Lobster - our first experience ever with lobster at Thurston's Lobster Pound. Can't beat it fresh from the ocean.
- Hike over to Bar Island during low tide. Lots of shopping and tourist stuff in Bar Harbor.

Val Kosmider
06-17-2015, 3:25 PM
Take your wallet. Lobster prices have soared, due to the cold winter which is keeping the lobsters off shore in deeper waters where they are move difficult to catch, after many years of basically giving them away.

August = crowds. Be prepared for slow and steady. Make sure you have reservations at campgrounds and hostelries.

Jim Becker
06-17-2015, 8:09 PM
I guess it's the great migration from these parts. Jim I see you are just across the river. I was in Newtown last night for the turning club meeting.
Yup...just up the road from there a few miles. Bucks Turners at BCCC? I haven't been active for a few years, but always enjoyed it.

Bert Kemp
06-18-2015, 2:18 AM
I'm surprised no ones mentioned to stop at LLBeans in Freeport on your way up. Go Whale watching out of Ba haba oh sorry Bar Harbor. Its been mentioned but really Sunrise on top of Cadillac Mtn. and just as good is the sunsets on the west side of Cadillac. Hiking the beehive is awesome and walk the coastline to Thunder hole. Hike out to Indian Point on Mt Desert Island. to check out the osprey Or up to long Pond. Arcadia is a lot of fun you'll want to go back.

Doug Ladendorf
06-19-2015, 9:01 AM
Thanks for all the wonderful information. Sounds like many Creekers have had great experiences at Acadia. I have a hatchet from the LL Bean store, got when I was a kid some 40ish years ago. It's definitely on the list. I'll report back what happens and hopefully have some pix.

Doug

Greg Cuetara
06-19-2015, 10:14 AM
One place which I have heard is worth the trip is the Thomas Moser facility in Auburn. The ironic part is that I live in Auburn only a few miles from the factory but have never been. http://www.thosmoser.com/page.php?page_id=103

Greg

Dave Richards
06-19-2015, 2:37 PM
If you have a chance, you should go to Brooklin and nose around the WoodenBoat facility. Have a look at the school and their shops and walk down to the shore and take a look at the boats.

I'm surprised no one mentioned stopping at Lie-Nielsen on Hwy 1. If you're driving down the coast, you should make time for that.

Jim Becker
06-19-2015, 9:07 PM
One place which I have heard is worth the trip is the Thomas Moser facility in Auburn. The ironic part is that I live in Auburn only a few miles from the factory but have never been. http://www.thosmoser.com/page.php?page_id=103

Greg

THAT would be candy for me! Moser is one of my "heros" when it comes to woodworking. Him and Nakashima. :) (The latter's compound is about five miles from here...)

Bill Clifton
06-19-2015, 11:57 PM
Lived in Bangor for awhile - found memories. Have a great trip.

Matt Meiser
06-20-2015, 8:28 AM
THAT would be candy for me! Moser is one of my "heros" when it comes to woodworking. Him and Nakashima. :) (The latter's compound is about five miles from here...)

Contact them now with the date(s) you will be nearby. We got a personal guided tour of the plant when we went.