PDA

View Full Version : Some Rust I Picked Up Today

ken hatch
06-15-2015, 8:51 PM
While I have a near complete set of Stanley type 9 planes and a few dozen others I'm not really a rust hunter. But sometimes you just can't pass a box of rust by.

I went by the local Woodcraft today, no reason but just because and when I walked in one of the guys pulled out a box with a type 9 41/2, a Bedrock 605, two what I believe are Defiant #5s, a 91/2 block plane, and a 3/4" #39. A guy had dropped them off and wanted an offer for the lot. Of the bunch I was only interested in the #41/2 and the 605 but I figured the #39 was kinda a collectors plane so I offered $125 USD to the owner after I explained to him what he had in the box, I wanted to be able to look at myself in the mirror and not feel like a snake. Bottom line he took the offer, I gave one of the Defiant's to one of the guys at Woodcraft and this is what is left.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh222/VTXAZ/usedplanesA_zps9le0tkie.jpg

I always make noise about selling my extra stuff on eBay....It never happens. I could be talked out of the Defiant and the 91/2 pretty easily. The #39 I don't know, this is the first one I've seen in the wild. I have a hard time seeing putting it to use but...

BTW, all the irons and cap irons are in good shape and no rust or pitting on any of the planes other than the 91/2.

ken

Cody Cantrell
06-15-2015, 9:25 PM
How much for the 9 1/2?

Dave Lehnert
06-15-2015, 9:27 PM
Where is the "Like" button.

Jim Koepke
06-15-2015, 9:31 PM
Great score.

I worked hard today loading and hauling a load to the dump for a friend on a house trash out. He paid me and bought lunch. The money felt like it was burning a hole in my pocket. Decided a stop by my favorite antique shop was in order. All that seemed to want to come home with me was an old chalk line for $3. It is round like a hockey puck. There was a Japanese ink line that was a temptation at $35, but it wasn't for me. There was also a K6 for $80, a size that is already well covered in my shop.

Talked to one of the people at the antique store about old wood working tools. He took my number. He said he has a bunch of old tools in storage.

Have to keep the eyes open and the talk a flowing. One never knows when a great deal will jump out at you.

jtk

Frederick Skelly
06-15-2015, 10:17 PM
Cool find Ken! I applaud you telling the guy what he had. Good on ya!
Fred

ken hatch
06-15-2015, 11:04 PM
How much for the 9 1/2?

Cody,

The 91/2 is the only one that is in rough shape. The iron is trash and the pin that holds the mouth adjuster is broke. It looks like you could buy one off eBay for less than $30 USD that would be better than this one.

USPS flat rate box is close to $13 USD....Nope I couldn't do it, the little plane isn't in good enough shape to sell to anyone, if you lived in Tucson I'd give it to you and still feel bad about it.

ken

Cody Cantrell
06-15-2015, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the honesty Ken, nice score by the way.

steven c newman
06-15-2015, 11:39 PM
I just sold one just like that 5-1/4 Four Square Household jack plane. No that is not a Defiance plane. Iron should be about 1-3/4" wide, base about 11" long. made during the 1920s, and will have a SW on the iron. might want to keep it?

ken hatch
06-16-2015, 6:33 AM
I just sold one just like that 5-1/4 Four Square Household jack plane. No that is not a Defiance plane. Iron should be about 1-3/4" wide, base about 11" long. made during the 1920s, and will have a SW on the iron. might want to keep it?

Steven,

Thanks, I do not know squat about planes other than the pre-war Stanley/Bailey ones. While I have several Bedrock series planes I'm a pretty low information owner of those as well other than LN makes a clone of 'em.

ken

ken hatch
06-16-2015, 6:39 AM
Cool find Ken! I applaud you telling the guy what he had. Good on ya!
Fred

Fred,

There are more important things in my life than money as a friend once said: "You don't like your money very much", at the time I hadn't thought of it but he was mostly correct.

ken

ken hatch
06-16-2015, 7:03 AM
Great score.

I worked hard today loading and hauling a load to the dump for a friend on a house trash out. He paid me and bought lunch. The money felt like it was burning a hole in my pocket. Decided a stop by my favorite antique shop was in order. All that seemed to want to come home with me was an old chalk line for $3. It is round like a hockey puck. There was a Japanese ink line that was a temptation at $35, but it wasn't for me. There was also a K6 for $80, a size that is already well covered in my shop.

Talked to one of the people at the antique store about old wood working tools. He took my number. He said he has a bunch of old tools in storage.

Have to keep the eyes open and the talk a flowing. One never knows when a great deal will jump out at you.

jtk

Thanks Jim,

I have a few more planes than I need and I've pretty much stopped rust hunting other than when someone puts used tools in front of me. It happens more than I would expect because the local Woodcraft knows I use hand tools and I have a serious tool jones. So whenever someone shows up with a box of rust they give me a call. Most of the time I don't need or even want what is in the box but I'll talk to the owner, explain what the tools might be worth sold on eBay and make an offer for the lot. I've ended up having to find storage room for a lot of rust.

With this box, I kinda but not really wanted the type 9 #4 1/2 to add to my type 9 collection, the others not so much. I offered the owner $80 USD for the 4 1/2 or $125 USD for the lot.

ken

Al Launier
06-16-2015, 7:09 AM
That was a "steel" for sure. Did you get visiting rights too? ;)

cody michael
06-17-2015, 2:27 PM
I don't see any rust, at least compared to the few I have bought, good score