PDA

View Full Version : Portable sink

Mike Heidrick
06-15-2015, 6:55 PM
I do not have running water in new shed (required hiring a plumbr and hooking to septic etc) but I want a handwash sink.

I am going to build a portabl type one. Anyone here have pictures of one they have used.

So far I have collected a rain barrel electric pump that works with 120V and garden hoses
A couple 5 gallon buckets.
I think I have an old bathroom sink laying around I may repurpose that or get a utility sink of craigslist

I figure 5 gallon bucket for supply and one for waste

Anyway should be fun.

Post up some pictures if you have one.

I found some threads on GJ too.

Kent Adams
06-15-2015, 7:18 PM
I've never heard of a rain barrel pump. Can you give me a link?

Mike Heidrick
06-15-2015, 11:37 PM
They dont like links on smc but google Algreen-500GPH-Rain-Barrel-Pump amazon.

Bruce Page
06-15-2015, 11:52 PM
They dont like links on smc but google Algreen-500GPH-Rain-Barrel-Pump amazon.

FYI Mike, from the Terms of Service (TOS)

3. External Linking
Links to other websites are allowed in posts. In fact, they are encouraged. However, links for the sole purpose of marketing, generating traffic to a site, or any other commercial advertisement deemed to solicit commercial benefit are not allowed. Links to other public or private forums are not allowed. Links should be submitted as references, for the sole purpose of generating or supporting discussions on SawMill Creek.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-16-2015, 12:04 AM
Mike,

Sure you can post links within the guidelines Bruce just posted.

Is this the pump to which you refer http://www.amazon.com/Algreen-500GPH-Rain-Barrel-Pump/dp/B00ANFXKM2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1434427386&sr=8-2&keywords=rain+barrel+pump&pebp=1434427389654&perid=6BF1BF0EF434447EB094

William C Rogers
06-16-2015, 7:32 AM
I have done something similar only 10X more. My previous shop was 250' from the house. I bought a 1500 gallon poly tank and collected rain water from both sides of my 30 X 56 metal pole barn. I used a shallow well pump. I ran 3/4 pvc and used this for automatic watering of my garden. I also had a sink in my shop that used this water. The things you need to consider is there will be algae build up. My tank was that white poly type and I needed to put in about 1/2-1 cups of bleach every couple of days. A solid color container is better, but guessing you will still need some treatment. You also need an overflow to direct water away from the building. Most small pumps cannot be deadheaded. Check your pump too see. If so you could leave the water valve open and use the electric switch to turn water on and off. If you can mount your rain barrel above the sink you would not even need a pump, just gravity working. Lastly no water in the winter where I was located.

Roger Pozzi
06-16-2015, 8:05 AM
Funny you brought this topic up.
I've been thinking about installing a small sink like used in the small campers. My thought included running the connection through the wall and using the garden hose for supply. Hadn't thought about waste water but, don't see why a 5 gal bucket wouldn't work.

Rick Moyer
06-16-2015, 8:50 AM
I just repurpose one of those larger laundry detergent bottles with the push-button spout. I don't seem to need much water, but it's sitting on the edge of a flat surface and when I need some water I just push the button! I think they are about a gallon and a half; plenty for my needs.

Kent A Bathurst
06-16-2015, 9:52 AM
wrong thread...........

i thought you were referring to the sinks in port-a-johns.

never understood why they put those in there...never saw one with water supply connected ???

never mind

Dan Hintz
06-16-2015, 9:57 AM
If you're just going for two buckets, why complicate things with electricity?

Hang one bucket at head height (or higher) and let gravity do the work. It's won't be a forceful stream (though you could hang it much higher to get more pressure), but plenty of moving water to wash hands with. If the supply tube is pliable, a simple clothespin could be used to turn it on/off, too.