PDA

View Full Version : Fine Woodworking Magazine price reduction

Kevin Womer
06-15-2015, 3:10 PM
Thought I might pass along a mailer I received for a subscription to FWW. One year for $21.95, or two for $34.95. If I remember correctly, it used to be about that amount for just one year. I don't think I can recall this magazine ever being that low, and am a bit shocked it took this long. It is probably the only magazine I really enjoyed but felt like their price was just too steep so I dropped them years ago. I am aware of the digital access but I always did like the hardcopy, just a personal preference.

Lloyd McKinlay
06-15-2015, 4:14 PM
I have two recently expired Taunton Press subscriptions that I'm considering not renewing so I immediately checked their website. No mention of any discount or promotion. Looks like another case of "rewarding" loyal customers (in my case about 15 years) by charging them full price.

Don Jarvie
06-15-2015, 6:36 PM
I have the online version and it's great and I am a paper person. I download the to my iPad and it's just like the magazine. You have access to all of the archive also.

Peter Kuhlman
06-15-2015, 6:39 PM
My subscription is expiring and the price for me is 35 for 1 yr and 60 for 2. I am also a 15yr subscriber. I am dropping it but would reconsider at your price.

Kevin Womer
06-15-2015, 7:26 PM
I have two recently expired Taunton Press subscriptions that I'm considering not renewing so I immediately checked their website. No mention of any discount or promotion. Looks like another case of "rewarding" loyal customers (in my case about 15 years) by charging them full price.

I would call them I haven't received that magazine in years, I guess they are trying to lure people back they once lost.

Phillip Dejardin
06-15-2015, 9:12 PM
I dropped my subscription to both the magazine and online this past month and received the same offer in the mail a couple of days ago. I agree with Lloyd....their marketing schemes suck.

Bob Falk
06-15-2015, 9:46 PM
I doubt they are rewarding long term subscribers....I have been a subscriber since the first issue (1975?) and have never been offered any deals. Funny, but I don't think they even know who the original subscribers are.

Erik Loza
06-15-2015, 10:42 PM
Probably because Minimax USA used to advertise with FWW, I have gotten their magazine at my home address for years but never paid for it. Curious...

Of all the ww'ing magazines out there, I definitely feel that FWW is trying to offer quality content. Sure, their marketing dept. might do this or that but as far as content goes, they are the best IMHO.

Erik

Phillip Dejardin
06-16-2015, 7:42 AM
Of all the ww'ing magazines out there, I definitely feel that FWW is trying to offer quality content. Sure, their marketing dept. might do this or that but as far as content goes, they are the best IMHO.

I agree. The magazine's content is and always has been the best.

Mike Wilkins
06-16-2015, 9:36 AM
I have had subscriptions to many other woodworking magazines over the years, but FWW is the one that is always been renewed. Even when I was between jobs and really did not have the funds for such things, I still kept my subscription. It is still the one with the most class of all the offerings. The English magazine, Furniture and Cabinetmaking, would be a close 2nd.

Erik Loza
06-16-2015, 10:10 AM
...The English magazine, Furniture and Cabinetmaking, would be a close 2nd.

+1 ^^^^....

F&C is a GREAT magazine.

Erik

Kent A Bathurst
06-16-2015, 10:13 AM
no disrespect to any other opinions, but........to each his own.

from where i sit, that is not saving $13/yr, it is wasting $22

and - i was a devotee for 10 yrs

Izzy Camire
06-16-2015, 3:10 PM
If you are long time subscriber I would call them and tell them you want the new subscriber price I'll bet they give it to you.

I have a longtime subscription to Military History magazine. When it is time to renew I call and tell them I want the price on their cards I find in the magazine. They are always happy to give me that price.

Bruce Page
06-16-2015, 3:36 PM
I have had subscriptions to many other woodworking magazines over the years, but FWW is the one that is always been renewed.

Ditto this. It's the only one I still get and look forward to.

Keith Hankins
06-16-2015, 5:07 PM
+1 ^^^^....

F&C is a GREAT magazine.

Erik

I dropped FWW some time ago when they want to charge for paper and more for a digital.

Never heard of the F&C what's it cost? I'd love a good magazine again.

Erik Loza
06-16-2015, 6:09 PM
I dropped FWW some time ago when they want to charge for paper and more for a digital.

Never heard of the F&C what's it cost? I'd love a good magazine again.

It appears they offer a digital version and surprisingly, also on iTunes...

https://www.thegmcgroup.com/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=701

Erik

Bruce Wrenn
06-18-2015, 9:50 PM
Got my offer today. Remember it's the number of subscribers that determine what advertising sells for. As readership has dropped, so has revenue. How much does it cost to print and deliver your magazine (just yours.) The fixed cost are already taken, so yours costs the paper, printing,and mailing. For two years, that works out to about three bucks an issue

lawrence rottersman
06-23-2015, 12:07 AM
I think it's worth mentioning that the magazine is expensive to produce. Its production and quality photos are first-class, and there is a consensus among us. I believe, that its editorial is best of all. I was also a longtime subscriber before dropping the subscription and renewed because of the lower price, and just renewed again at a price between lowest and highest. Larry R