PDA

View Full Version : Knot @ edge of tabletop board.

David Ragan
06-15-2015, 1:59 PM
We all know that knots and such are not ideal near the edges of work (or included in joinery).... But-

If I have a really pretty board am putting in a table top, and it has some nice figure with a knot right @ the edge, I have read that if I route a small 1/8" V-groove down the center of the glue joint (lengthwise) down the board, that this will help the joint remain stable-not pull apart/disguise any problems later, etc.

If I just have to have this troublesome knot in the wood, or if there is some other wild grain right @ the edge of the glued joint line, has anybody ever had this trick work?

Steve Jenkins
06-15-2015, 2:36 PM
It sounds like the knot will be in a glued edge. You don't say how big it is and if it is open, loose or split. If it is an open hole less than 1/2" in diameter, loose or split, I would probably fill it with epoxy with black dye

Jerry Miner
06-15-2015, 2:41 PM
can you post a pic?

A V-groove won't stabilize anything, but it would disguise small discrepancies. You may not get a great glue-bond at the knot, but if it's small and there is a good bond in the surrounding wood, the piece should hold together ok.

David Ragan
06-15-2015, 7:00 PM
The operative word above was *If*.

There is no picture.

How many times have I ripped a board of 2-3" of its width just because there was a knot? Too many times.

I read the above today in an early issue of American Woodworker (National Anthem here, or a John Phillip Sousa tune).

My thinking was that the V groove would take off some of the stress in the wood-you know, from the surrounding tissue having to support the limb during the tree's growth(?)

This is a legitimate question, right?

Pat Barry
06-15-2015, 9:42 PM
If you read it in American Woodworker, then it must be true.

Jerry Miner
06-15-2015, 10:32 PM
This is a legitimate question, right?

Legitimate question, sure. But the answer remains. A 1/8" V-groove won't relieve enough stress to matter much.

Kent A Bathurst
06-16-2015, 12:04 AM
If you read it in American Woodworker, then it must be true.

:p :p

Kent A Bathurst
06-16-2015, 12:07 AM
If I just have to have this troublesome knot in the wood, or if there is some other wild grain right @ the edge of the glued joint line, has anybody ever had this trick work?

Seems like a solution looking for a problem. Just glue it up....fill the knot if needed as noted above. I don't get the problem here?

PLus - with a vee-groove, what? - did I just take a nice glue up and make it into faux-beadboard or something? What am I making here, barn siding?

David Ragan
06-16-2015, 6:49 AM
Legitimate question, sure. But the answer remains. A 1/8" V-groove won't relieve enough stress to matter much.

Dang.......

David Ragan
06-16-2015, 10:55 AM
Seems like a solution looking for a problem. Just glue it up....fill the knot if needed as noted above. I don't get the problem here?

PLus - with a vee-groove, what? - did I just take a nice glue up and make it into faux-beadboard or something? What am I making here, barn siding?

I'll take that one on....next time I run across a couple of these, I'll glue them up. W and w/o the v groove, and we'll see what happens over time:rolleyes:

Jim Dwight
06-16-2015, 11:32 AM
It is implied that this is a knot from a live branch but I think it's worth mentioning. Dead branches have loose layers, usually black, and will move and even fall out if you mess with them. Live knots will stay in place but the grain around them is more likely to result in the board moving. But if you get it straight enough to serve your purpose, I like the looks of knots in finished pieces. I like all kinds of unusual grain. They can be harder to work with but look nice.

David Ragan
06-16-2015, 12:57 PM
It is implied that this is a knot from a live branch but I think it's worth mentioning. Dead branches have loose layers, usually black, and will move and even fall out if you mess with them. Live knots will stay in place but the grain around them is more likely to result in the board moving. But if you get it straight enough to serve your purpose, I like the looks of knots in finished pieces. I like all kinds of unusual grain. They can be harder to work with but look nice.

Great point, Jim!

I never would have considered that to be the difference, live v not.

What's the point if the knot is going to fall out anyway?