View Full Version : Wood and finish choice for exterior cabinets.

Clisby Clark
06-15-2015, 11:22 AM
I've been asked to build some cabinets for a friend's outdoor kitchen. The kitchen is covered but has no walls so it is still exposed to the outdoor air.

He has not specified any material. Can I use any quality material (such as prefinished ply) as long as I use a quality exterior varnish? I'm thinking about Epifanes for the varnish..is that ok? Thanks for the help!

Howard Acheson
06-15-2015, 1:00 PM
Ensure that any lumber/plywood is rated for exterior applications. Most plywood products are Interior rated.

Exterior finishes are not totally moisture proof and can be damaged by extended outdoor exposure. So called "marine varnishes are formulated to be flexible so they remain adhered to the wood as the wood expands and contracts with changes in moisture content. It is not water or moisture resistant.

Hoang N Nguyen
06-15-2015, 1:33 PM
I'd go with an outdoor rated wood like cypress or cedar. I'm wrapping up my build on a table for my big green egg and I'm using all cedar wood. As for finish, I'm just using a exterior grade clear top coat. It's more to prevent the fading of the wood then to protect it.

Jerry Miner
06-15-2015, 2:48 PM
I'd be careful about using plywood outdoors. Cabinet-grade ply (interior) doesn't typically hold up well and exterior-rated ply tends to be more "construction grade" and not very pretty. You might consider MDO--- sometimes called "sign board"---it is usually bonded with exterior-rated phenolic glue and faced with a resin-impregnated paper. Made for outdoor signs.

Otherwise, I'd think about solid wood, in a durable species (cedar, redwood, white oak, cypress...) with careful detailing to survive the elements.