PDA

View Full Version : Veneer repair question

Jay Jolliffe
06-15-2015, 8:48 AM
I was just asked to repair a table that the veneer has come loose on the edge for about 5" long & 2-3" deep. The veneer is about 1/32".....What would be the best fix for this.

John Sincerbeaux
06-15-2015, 9:08 AM
I would push gorilla glue under the veneer with a piece of veneer (or something thin). Put a piece of wax paper over the affected area then clamp. Use a couple of scrap pieces of wood/mdf for clamping.

Jamie Buxton
06-15-2015, 9:29 AM
I'd push glue under the lifted veneer from the edge. I'd use something thin -- a putty knife, or an engineers rule. I'd be trying to get glue all the way back to the end of the failed area. Then I'd clamp well. I'd use yellow glue. But if you use gorilla glue, be sure to clamp it everywhere there's glue; gorilla glue tries to expand as it cures, and it will push up on any veneer not clamped down. The gorilla glue will likely ooze out of the table edge. Keep wiping it off while it is still wet. It will be a bear to clean up after it cures.

Jay Jolliffe
06-15-2015, 10:39 AM
I don't know what glue was used first so I was wondering if yellow glue would bond to the dried glue that might be there....I think epoxy will bond to other glues but that may be over kill.....

Mike Henderson
06-15-2015, 12:47 PM
I would push gorilla glue under the veneer with a piece of veneer (or something thin). Put a piece of wax paper over the affected area then clamp. Use a couple of scrap pieces of wood/mdf for clamping.
I agree with John - Gorilla glue sticks to just about anything. PVA will not stick to some old glues.

I've used Gorilla glue to repair veneer for a long time and never had any problems, including oozing .

Mike

Tom M King
06-15-2015, 12:55 PM
I always use hide glue for old veneer.

Robert Engel
06-15-2015, 2:08 PM
+ 1 for Hide glue

You could use an iron to pre heat the surfaces.

I've not have good experiences with urethane glues.

Jay Jolliffe
06-15-2015, 4:32 PM
Would that be the foaming glue or the pva wood glue?