PDA

View Full Version : Casadei shapers?

Martin Wasner
06-14-2015, 9:03 PM
Anyone have experience with Casadei shapers?

Any advice on other brands to look at? I'm looking at picking up a fifth shaper, and not sure what to get. Seems there isn't much middle ground on this stuff quality wise.

David Kumm
06-14-2015, 9:50 PM
Casadei are now owned by SCM and very close in design and build. They have always been about equal to SCMI and SAC. Parts are supported by SCM but I don't know how far back they will supply. Dave

Larry Copas
06-14-2015, 10:02 PM
I don't understand who's on first with those companies. I bought a SCMI T-120 a couple of weeks ago and on the data badge it says Casadei.

Rick Fisher
06-15-2015, 4:30 AM
SCM is the parent company .. If you want something lower end than Casadei, you could look at Mini Max. I would look at SCM as well.

Kevin Jenness
06-15-2015, 5:28 AM
We have a Casadei F115 from the late 80's, a very stout machine with a precise sliding table. Smooth running with interchangeable spindles and speeds from 3-10k rpm. The table opening is around 300mm.

Martin Wasner
06-15-2015, 7:25 AM
SCM doesn't seem to have shapers on their website, or at least I don't see them. I'm looking for a good value machine. Not a Martin, but multiple steps above a Powermatic. Grizzly, Extrema, etcetera are out. I had a salesman in the shop the other day pitching Cantek pretty hard, but I'm leary of a machine that's only $6k.

Kinda confirmed what I thought, that they were a decent mid-line machine, thanks guys.

David Kumm
06-15-2015, 8:28 AM
SCM makes a bunch of shapers. The T130 is probably the one you find most often. There are actually two versions. The nova platform is the more common one and the Class is more rare but heavier build. Both are stout with about a 13" table opening and 11" fence opening. You can get the upgraded numerical fence and even a swing away feeder arm. Cast iron sliding table or tenoning table mounted on the side. The Casadei line is very similar to the nova series. Cantek is Taiwan. Stiles sells a version they call their Artisan line. Felder Format series would call somewhere below the Martin too. Dave

Gregory Stahl
06-15-2015, 9:52 AM
You can buy the T-130 class from the minimax sales people--at least I did last year. Price is in the mid $8k range when I bought and this includes the numeric fence. I looked at used and wouldn't pay $6k for a machine by the time it was shipped with the older fence. The new machines have an electric brake too. Last year, the basic model with this fence was usually in stock. I had mine 3 or 4 days after purchase.

I'm very happy--added an Aigner fence to mine.

Best,
Greg Stahl

Peter Quinn
06-15-2015, 10:23 AM
You might take a look at Stiles ironwood series if you have access to a rep, depending on your needs might save a few bucks. We got a jointer from that series last year and it's been a work horse at a fraction of the cost of an Italian equivalent, precise and solid. I haven't used the shaper but it looks like A unit worth considering on paper. I think the unit is actually made by Cantek, but with electronics installed by stiles IIR.

David Kumm
06-15-2015, 10:35 AM
Greg, that was a deal on the T130. Looks like what used to be the Nova is now the Class series but I've never seen them new for much under 10K without the numerical fence. Dave

Peter Kelly
06-15-2015, 5:20 PM
Saw one of these over in France a while back: http://www.utis-amf.com/en/machines-a-bois/toupie/

Seems like the ultimate machine. Quality might actually be a notch above Martin.

David Kumm
06-15-2015, 5:23 PM
Utis, Hoffmann, and Panhans are all up close to Martin territory- or better. Dave

Martin Wasner
06-15-2015, 9:53 PM
Utis, Hoffmann, and Panhans are all up close to Martin territory- or better. Dave

Whoa, way too fancy. I need an "on" button, an "off" button, a reverse switch, and a counter for spindle height. Anything else is wasted on me in the options department.

I was quoted $9075 for a new Casadei F230 through a local dealer. Shipping is only $75 until the end of the month. I'd need another feeder and I'm looking at $400 a piece for new insert heads, which I need nine of. So about fourteen grand to revamp my door process. groan.

Erik Loza
06-15-2015, 10:33 PM
Martin, none of my business but are you not talking to an SCM dealer about this? Simple shapers are their bread and butter.

Erik

Martin Wasner
06-15-2015, 10:49 PM
Martin, none of my business but are you not talking to an SCM dealer about this? Simple shapers are their bread and butter.

Erik

I'm not sure who my local dealer would be. There isn't much left for machinery sales since everything went sideways a few years ago.