PDA

View Full Version : Maple lidded bowl

Dennis Ford
06-14-2015, 8:22 PM
This piece is about 11 inches in diameter. It has several design features that made it somewhat challenging. Maple with Katalox finial. Comments and critiques welcome.

Doug Herzberg
06-14-2015, 8:33 PM
It's beautiful and looks like it was hard to do, Dennis, but I've gotta say "Close Encounters." I'm already hearing that 5/4 theme song.

I have no business offering a serious critique, because I don't have the skills to do something like this, but to my eye the lid (not including the finial) is too tall for the bowl and the bulb on the finial is a little large. It reminds me of room service covered plates, but much more elegant. I don't know if you intended it for food service or just as art, but it could be either.

Thomas Canfield
06-14-2015, 9:39 PM
This piece is about 11 inches in diameter. It has several design features that made it somewhat challenging. Maple with Katalox finial. Comments and critiques welcome.

"Several design features that made it somewhat challenging"??????????????/ Just laying out the pattern for the holy area would be a major challenge, much less all the piercing. Feet, wing, curve lid fit, and finial. All look GREAT to me. The maple wood does seem a little plain for that very nice piece, but all work well. I hope you can find someone to appreciate the quality there.

robert baccus
06-14-2015, 9:47 PM
Ooooooo--very nice yeah.

Steve Huffman
06-14-2015, 10:09 PM
I see a whole lot of craftsmanship going on here. Just love all the designing and planning that went into this. Nice work Dennis!!

Michelle Rich
06-15-2015, 9:35 AM
Holey moley! :-) stunning ring..great bowl, but my art eye says the ring should be a tad higher up..IMHO ..Lots of cool stuff on this turning!