PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with this blank

Scott Brandstetter
06-14-2015, 7:10 PM
As you can see from the pictures, I cannot get the end grain to smooth out the least bit. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Tools are sharp and I've tried at lower and higher, and much higher speeds. I tried different tools. Can't say I've run into this before, nothing this bad. I've never turned this type wood before so maybe I am simply missing something. Any help would be appreciated.

Brian Brown
06-14-2015, 7:27 PM
That is a very punky (rotten in spots ) blank. If you can easily push your fingernails into the torn out area, it is quite rotten. The rotted spots are so soft you need to stabilize them with something. You can use CA glue, but I would imagine that would be a very slow tedious process. Glue, turn a bit, re-glue turn a bit lather rinse repeat. I think if this blank is worth saving, (only you can determine if it is), You would be better off with a vacuum stabilizing process, and a resin stabilizer. There are other recipes and processes out there, and someone else here might be able to help you better with another process. I really like the red stain, so it might be worth saving. Let us know how it works out.

Dennis Ford
06-14-2015, 8:04 PM
Boxelder tears out easily, some pieces worse than others. Minwax wood hardener might help.

Reed Gray
06-14-2015, 9:43 PM
That brown color and how it is torn out says rotten wood to me.

robo hippy

robert baccus
06-14-2015, 9:50 PM
Might try hardening with thinned lacquer soak or a thinned epoxy soak. Worked for me many times.

Bob Bergstrom
06-14-2015, 11:43 PM
You could probably buy a good blank for what it will cost to treat it with " cactus juice" or minwax. It is just a piece of wood.

Mike Nathal
06-15-2015, 9:47 AM
Lacquer also works for me but I would use water based poly because I am less scared of its solvents. I would use it to both stabilize the punky areas ( maybe two un-thinned coats) and to provide a final finish (thinned a little bit). Water base keeps the red- white contrast sharper and maintains truer colors. Boxelder is so soft that you can sand the punky areas easily. After sanding through 120 grit, put on another coat of poly and let dry. Then again each time after 240, 320, 400.

John Keeton
06-15-2015, 9:55 AM
The only thing this piece of wood has going for it is the red, which will fade quickly over time. On the other hand, that punky/rotten stuff will fight you until the end, making it very difficult to achieve a good result. For me, it would be a quick decision. Toss it and move on.

robert baccus
06-15-2015, 10:08 PM
A soak takes 15 minutes to put into the bag and overnite to harden. Cost -2$