PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know what happened to Adam Cherubini?

Keith Miguel
06-14-2015, 4:59 PM
Hello Gentlemen
I am a great admirer of Adam Cherubini and his writings and workmanship. I see that he no longer contributes on the Popular Woodworking website and his own website hasn't been updated for some time. Does anyone know how to contact him? Thank you

Mike Brady
06-14-2015, 7:45 PM
I can't help with any updated information, but I find it odd that Popular Woodworking magazine still runs his old postings in his blog even though it was last updated some time last year. Do they not read their own web pages?

Bill McDermott
06-14-2015, 10:33 PM
I recall him posting something to the effect of a day job interfering with the woodworking avocation and his ability to do the "Art & Mysteries" column. It seems that was a couple years back, but things like day jobs tend to go on and on.... I also enjoyed his well thought out contributions. A purest is a good ingredient. The good news is, his particular style of white stocking woodworking will never go out of style.:)

Edward Clarke
06-14-2015, 10:40 PM
Hello Gentlemen
I am a great admirer of Adam Cherubini and his writings and workmanship. I see that he no longer contributes on the Popular Woodworking website and his own website hasn't been updated for some time. Does anyone know how to contact him? Thank you

Well... there's always the "Contact Me" button on his website: adam.cherubini@verizon.net

I sent him an email in February, 2013 asking about 1620's woodworking for my daughter's social studies class (4th grade). His reply
still makes me giggle. (Briefly, they were too busy starving to do any woodworking. And some sarcastic comments about history teachers that I won't repeat.)

Jim Matthews
06-15-2015, 7:51 AM
There's been a shakeup at PWW.

Few woodworkers with any trade experience remain.
They're leaning on user submissions to fill their pages.

I wouldn't doubt that someone so savvy as Mr. C found
an alternative revenue source.

I won't be renewing, this time around.

Chris Hachet
06-15-2015, 8:08 AM
There's been a shakeup at PWW.

Few woodworkers with any trade experience remain.
They're leaning on user submissions to fill their pages.

I wouldn't doubt that someone so savvy as Mr. C found
an alternative revenue source.

I won't be renewing, this time around.

Neither will I....

Tony Zaffuto
06-15-2015, 11:29 AM
Is this a recent shake-up?

lowell holmes
06-15-2015, 2:18 PM
Neither will I....
Nor will I renew.

Mike Brady
06-15-2015, 2:32 PM
That is interesting that you all are disenchanted with the magazine. Chris Schwarz says he will support them to the end (his or theirs), but then he still draws a check from that organization, so you don't bite the hand that feeds you. I remain a subscriber, although the lights dimmed for me when they discontinued the Woodworking Magazine entity. None of this relates to Mr. Cherubini anyway.

Tony Zaffuto
06-15-2015, 3:55 PM
That is interesting that you all are disenchanted with the magazine. Chris Schwarz says he will support them to the end (his or theirs), but then he still draws a check from that organization, so you don't bite the hand that feeds you. I remain a subscriber, although the lights dimmed for me when they discontinued the Woodworking Magazine entity. None of this relates to Mr. Cherubini anyway.

Lights have dimmed for me also, but not enough to not renew a few months back.

Pages have gotten thinner, though there is still at least on article in each issue that keeps me going back. What still remains to be seen is how well the void created by the 360 group dismissal (Bob Lang and others) is filled, and if the content remains at least at the present level.

Megan Fitzpatrick
06-15-2015, 4:12 PM
Jim,
I'm sorry that the work of the many professional woodworkers we're now running in our pages isn't to your liking. But Adam had to step down due to his day job some time ago – well before any of the more recent elective departures.
Megan

Megan Fitzpatrick
06-15-2015, 4:13 PM
Of course we do. But a lot of people still read and enjoy Adam's work, so even though he's not able to contribute at the moment, we see no need to not make accessible what he's written in the past.

Matt McCormick
06-15-2015, 4:37 PM
Hey Megan,
I think you are doing fine and you guys are turning the ship around....... No one can loose that many good sailors and not veer off course. Why they left?...... don't matter.... Woodworking isn't magic, many people know how to do it and a few of those can write about it too!
You have a hard job.... If the magazine was ALL about woodworking you would starve.... if it was ALL about the money....... we fanatics would sniff it and...... you would starve....So good luck keeping things headed in the right direction. Really, I am thinking about coming back
and I am a hard sell. Good luck and thank you for posting here, it shows a lot about what your priorities are. -matt

PS, Just had a great Idea..... a new monthly column for the magazine....... Grammar online - I can do that! for us woodworking forum members that can build a awesome bench but can't construct a sentence to save our souls........

Megan Fitzpatrick
06-15-2015, 4:49 PM
Thank you Matt. I AM starving...no time to eat lunch today :-)

Regarding grammar and words, I tend to leave those topics to my three word-herding heroes: Bill Bryson, Bill Walsh and John McPhee.

Steve Meliza
06-15-2015, 4:58 PM
If it's any consolation, I just renewed my PWW subscription last week after realizing I hadn't seen the e-mail notifying me of the June issue download. No one issue can completely interest me in every article. Since I can't speak to the June issue that I missed what I can say is that most of the larger articles in the April issue didn't capture my interest, but there were a few smaller gems scattered throughout. The February issue was more interesting to me with nearly every article catching my eye and interest. That's good enough for me.

Matt McCormick
06-15-2015, 5:46 PM
three word-herding heroes: Bill Byrson, Bill Walsh and John McPhee.
Well Bill Walsh did win three super bowls.... those other guys I've never heard about.......:)

Jim Matthews
06-15-2015, 7:08 PM
It happened back in October.

http://americancraftsmanworkshop.com/journal/2014/10/5/a-message-from-bob-lang-chuck-bender-and-glen-huey

Moses Yoder
06-15-2015, 7:41 PM
There is a natural cycle woodworkers go through and the Web has kind of made the learning curve easier. I got to the point where I don't need any more magazines and hopefully will never buy another one. I probably have a thousand. What should happen is that people who are starting out should buy magazines to build the projects in them which in turn teaches them to design their own projects. Just because a magazine does not contain something of interest to me is not the fault of the magazine.

Derek Cohen
06-15-2015, 7:57 PM
Hi Megan

I find it interesting that there is an incentive (usually in the form of a download) to become a new member, but nothing of the same to renew a subscription. Indeed, the incentive is to allow a subscription to lapse, then rejoin for the free gift! :)

Regards from Perth

Derek (about to renew)

Jim Koepke
06-15-2015, 10:07 PM
It used to be my pleasure to peruse an article while shopping in the local Fred Meyer (a Kroger owned store). They do not seem to carry it any longer. I would buy any of the WW magazines when there was something of interest.

Now it there isn't anyone local carrying it to see if it is of interest.

jtk

Terry O'Donnell
06-16-2015, 3:13 AM
I was bummed by receiving an email that said "Expiration Notice -- renew now" -- when there was still about 7 months to go on my subscription -- their response was that they like to send out such notices in advance to give subscribers time to reply. Seemed a bit heavy handed to me…not the way I'd treat subscribers if it were me…

Megan Fitzpatrick
06-16-2015, 8:09 AM
Hmmm....I thought we were offering an incentive with renewals. I shall revisit that.

Megan Fitzpatrick
06-16-2015, 8:11 AM
That's pretty much an industry standard...and I find it annoying too. I received a renewal notice on another WW mag before I even got the first issue!

george wilson
06-16-2015, 8:14 AM
I stopped PW because of incorrect content articles I saw. Some of the "professionals" are not professionals,but those casual woodworkers who like to see their name in print. I see that on television,too. I don't know where they get some of their "experts". On one show about saws,their "expert" was sawing with an obviously VERY dull saw,and getting nowhere.

Someone who really knows tools and their use,and does actual fine woodworking needs to proof read the articles. If PW is losing subscriptions from this sort of thing,it might be a good investment to find that person who can help. Or,if one is (likely,I'm sure.!) in place,find a better informed person. David Weaver would be a great resource for Japanese tool proof reading,for example.

Somehow,I just can't get motivated to write articles myself,and do the necessary expert photography. But,it probably is what I ought to be doing at this stage in my life. Health issues bog me down at my age.

And yes,magazines asking for very early renewal is standard practice. They must need the money. I know times are difficult with the competition of computer available "infotainment",television,and other competition.

Tom McMahon
06-16-2015, 9:10 AM
At one time I owned and operated a farm as well as a woodworking business. In the agricultural industry, once they have you on their list it almost impossible to stop getting their magazine. They just keep sending them to you for ever for free, they want the circulation numbers because add rates are based on circulation and the real money must be in add income not subscriptions. If you could say 90 percent of all woodworkers get our magazine you could get a lot of add income.

Mike Holbrook
06-16-2015, 9:30 AM
Interesting thread. I did a little search to find out what happened to the guys that left PW, following Jim Matthews link above. Looks like Chuck Bender and Glen Huey started something called 360 WoodWorking (Where Tech Meets Tradition), Bob Lang appears to be a contributor. Looks like an interesting concept with a fresh look at presenting info. on woodworking. Probably off topic here, so I think I will start a new thread.

Gary Muto
06-16-2015, 11:38 AM
I still enjoy the magazine and will renew... incentive or not. I think it is worth the investment of my time and money. If we don't support our magazines there will be even less available. There may be a lot of info on the Net but PWW provides me with higher quality content.

Matt McCormick
06-16-2015, 12:36 PM
As to the Adam question...... I really miss him and hope he returns soon. I got to sit in on some of his lectures at the Pasadena WWA a few years back and he is awesome. As for PWW, I miss Bob and Glen too! but things change, relationships change people have ideas and sometimes their good friends don't agree...... So far we have gotten a new version of Mr. Schwarz , 360 woodworking and a magazine seeing it needs to find a better way to serve it's intended audience.... this is not a bad thing. I have been a R&D machinist for 44 years and have worked in some dream teams a number of times..... something changes and people go their separate ways..... the project or company either meets the challenge or it falters...... in my experience it's about 50/50. The best craftsman in the world may not be able to write a coherent sentence helping me to understand how to make a dovetail...... where as a guy like Schwartz can come across as a buddy showing me how to do something, that is a rare gift he has. But we always want to be taught by the George Wilsons of the world but we take no thought that a guy in Mr. Wilson's league could not ever instruct someone how to feel what he does.... the "feel" is what separates US from him..... that feel is a mixture of desire, experience(lots of it!), intellect (that's where they always lose me) and hand eye coordination along with the study of what and how others have done in the past. I wish I knew how to teach what George knows.... I myself am now teaching machine shop to undergrads and graduate students at a UC mechanical engineering program. What we used to see as a common mechanical aptitude....... is now found in less than 10% of my students, but it is not magic and so the current student is so bright they pick it up fairly well and are able to complete projects but they are not really proficient at getting a project finished without help. My experience in Industry is much the same, what used to pass as the average skill level is now looked at as master craftsman level work and is now revered and thought to be too hard to teach. The 1970's average rough and tumble journeyman machinist would be king of the shop today.... but even that is hard to find. It is a sign of the times.... when we went to CNC in the shops less than 10% of the guy could make the change. I guess times have changed...... but people really have not. I hope this makes sense as I will never write for a magazine...... -matt

Brian Holcombe
06-16-2015, 1:07 PM
The alternate viewpoint from a woodworking perspective is that your ability must be high in order to be highly considered in the outside world. The average customer viewpoint is skewed because often what they see is hand finish work performed on something made by cnc machines and that is their basis for comparison of good work.

Matt McCormick
06-16-2015, 2:00 PM
The average customer viewpoint is skewed because often what they see is hand finish work performed on something made by cnc machines and that is their basis for comparison of good work.

Absolutely! A question I ask professors who ask me for a super fine finish or micron tolerance is how will you know if I do make that to your spec? I have never had them give me a good answer.... How do you know if a job is good or just shiny? there is a big difference.
Some of us unwashed don't know what we don't know.... we put a guy in a magazine on our shoulders and make him the oracle of woodworking simply because he wrote a article that we thought was good. When I was at the Pasadena WWA there were some rabid fanbois there.... I was talking to some of them and they actually follow some of their hero's around the country and spend their vacations going to their seminars and schools.... and there is nothing wrong with that other than I can't do it.
But you, Brian with your Kingly good looks and ability to write well thought posts on how you do things.... I think you could be the next superstar woodworker. Megan sign him quick before he gets away........

Dave Anderson NH
06-16-2015, 3:44 PM
Love the humor Matt and I pretty much agree with your 2 posts. However, I'm demoting King Brian to Duke.:D

Brian Holcombe
06-16-2015, 3:47 PM
LOL, this is why I hang out here. :p

Well played gentlemen, well played.

Stan Suther
06-17-2015, 4:42 PM
I'm up for renewal with PWW, and about to decide to go digital since I now do lots of reading on my iPad. Having gotten a variety of woodworking magazines for 40 years, I've seen lots of articles and made lots of subscription choices. In recent years I've gotten down to PWW and FWW. Both now are having trouble keeping my interest. I think the reason is that most of what I see are in effect repeats of previous articles, and I'm no longer buying many tools. That's a factor of my age and time in woodworking. I know the publishers and editors must figure out the right mix to attract young new woodworkers and keep older woodworkers. That's a tough job. I could probably stop getting any magazines and just go back through my old stacks and be almost as happy. However, I still get a little mental boost when I open a newly arrived woodworking magazine.

Simon MacGowen
06-17-2015, 7:32 PM
I was in the same boat and decided to choose FWM, because of its better photography, number of pages and paper. Frankly, I don't need any magazine because every magazine is more or less publishing projects that have been seen in one form or another. The only exception is the method of work or shop tips column which is worth sometimes more than the rest in a magazine. PWW and FWM have the best tips in hand tools.

Simon

Dan Hahr
06-19-2015, 12:45 AM
Shop tips.....that got me thinking... I, too, am considering letting my subscription lapse with PWM. The last shop tip winner made me wonder what they (PWM) were thinking. No offense to the submitter but it was a good solution to a problem I can't even imagine having (magnet to hold up a combination square.) Balancing the square on the end of a board? Maybe I just don't get it.

It's this section of the magazine that I remember thinking "really?" most often. Next is the "I can do that" section. This month's...really? Sorry, Megan.

I enjoyed the past articles by Mr. Cherubini. They were informative and unique to the magazine. I also enjoy some of the current authors' articles. Follansbee's articles are pretty good, normally. I'm not sure why he made the anti-Christianity comment in this last article concerning Bible boxes though. Maybe he's trying to run off a few more subscribers.

Dan

Hilton Ralphs
06-19-2015, 1:08 AM
The last shop tip winner made me wonder what they (PWM) were thinking. No offense to the submitter but it was a good solution to a problem I can't even imagine having (magnet to hold up a combination square.) Balancing the square on the end of a board? Maybe I just don't get it.

I actually thought this was a neat idea. My Incra squares have that little recess that allows the square to rest horizontally off the end of a board but normal combo squares will tend to tip.

george wilson
06-19-2015, 8:19 AM
Why would anyone rest their squares on the end of a board? I try to at least lay them down gently on a SAFE surface.

Hilton Ralphs
06-19-2015, 8:40 AM
Why would anyone rest their squares on the end of a board? I try to at least lay them down gently on a SAFE surface.

I don't have Chubb as my armed response so I'll find an alternative. I think the article/tip was not for storing the combo square but for when you are trying to draw a perpendicular line to the edge of the board or to get a measurement from the edge of the board.

Like these photies show. The magnet is just to counter balance the heavy head.

Dan Hahr
06-19-2015, 9:19 AM
No disrespect to anyone who can't use both hands, but why wouldn't you just use your other hand to hold it? And, how can you follow the blade tightly if you aren't holding it?
Dan

Hilton Ralphs
06-19-2015, 10:09 AM
^^^

Hey I was just playing devil's advocate but you're right of course.

Mike Cogswell
06-19-2015, 12:27 PM
An interesting thread, particularly since yesterday's mail brought me the August edition of PWM. Like many of you I have been growing increasingly disenchanted with both the quality of content and the dwindling amount.

I must say that the latest issue was a pleasant surprise with an excellent selection of articles the appealed to me. Hopefully this will continue.

Simon MacGowen
06-19-2015, 12:37 PM
I actually thought this was a neat idea. My Incra squares have that little recess that allows the square to rest horizontally off the end of a board but normal combo squares will tend to tip.

I think I have seen try squares with the support tabs from Vesper Tool and this magnetic trick allows a regular combo square to be used just like that. Check out Chris Schwarz's blog on how this support tab is used; he explains its function.

By the way, I found Cherubini's articles boring enough that I always skipped his pages -- not my interest at all. On the other hand, the I Can Do pages are intended for beginners and are not much different from FWM's Fundamentals as a way to attract a wider base of readership. No magazines exist that can please all woodworkers and readers, for sure.

Simon

Simon MacGowen
06-19-2015, 12:45 PM
An interesting thread, particularly since yesterday's mail brought me the August edition of PWM. Like many of you I have been growing increasingly disenchanted with both the quality of content and the dwindling amount.

I must say that the latest issue was a pleasant surprise with an excellent selection of articles the appealed to me. Hopefully this will continue.

No longer a subscriber, I buy the issue that appeals to me and the August issue is one of them. Yes, the latest issue including Megan's moving story, the tool chest and the Tricks of Trade was what I like to see.

Simon

Zach Dillinger
06-19-2015, 1:03 PM
I am probably biased because I occasionally put pen to paper (metaphorically anyway) for the mag, but as a craftsman I really believe Popular Woodworking is worth reading. Opening up to new authors and new ideas is a great way to ensure we don't simply see the same tips & tricks, same router table jigs, and same tired 18th c. projects (there are so many others to choose from!) over and over.

george wilson
06-19-2015, 1:49 PM
My larger Starrett squares have the little tab to support the beam,and have had it for many years. I have several Vesper squares,too. Sort of traded gifts.

Simon MacGowen
06-19-2015, 2:29 PM
I am probably biased because I occasionally put pen to paper (metaphorically anyway) for the mag, but as a craftsman I really believe Popular Woodworking is worth reading. Opening up to new authors and new ideas is a great way to ensure we don't simply see the same tips & tricks, same router table jigs, and same tired 18th c. projects (there are so many others to choose from!) over and over.

same tired 18th c. projects (there are so many others to choose from!) over and over. - So true!

But, I think it is new ideas rather than new authors that matter. FWM features the same contributing editors (in addition to other contributors) and they usually do not produce the same old ideas. Michael Fortune, for example, shares many of his techniques used in his own shop that are unpublished before. His recent article on clamping is a must-read for anyone who does furniture pieces or chairs that involve curves and angles. He is no doubt a master of jigs and his high-end furniture design is inspiring. Those few working as assistants or trainees for him in his shop are getting the experience no woodworking schools can offer (just like those "boys" who were with Sam Maloof).

Simon

Jerome Hanby
09-30-2016, 8:51 AM
I can't absolutely confirm with PWW (but I'm pretty sure I've done it with them too), but whenever I see a good subscription offer on one of the titles I receive, I buy it and get the free whatever or the discounted rate and it just adds on to the end of my subscription. I think that i bought enough of those five dollar offers for Woodcraft magazine that the earth will be swallowed up in the expanding perimeter of our sun as it enters it's red "giant" phase before it expires.

Hi Megan

I find it interesting that there is an incentive (usually in the form of a download) to become a new member, but nothing of the same to renew a subscription. Indeed, the incentive is to allow a subscription to lapse, then rejoin for the free gift! :)

Regards from Perth

Derek (about to renew)

lowell holmes
09-30-2016, 9:48 AM
I have problems with their site.
I don't know if it's my computer or their site.
I subscribe to the magazine, but I'm not getting much out of it anymore.

Chris Padilla
09-30-2016, 2:41 PM
Folks,

Kindly note that this thread is a bit over a year old. FYI. :)