PDA

View Full Version : Chinese metal cutting CO2 lasers - experiences?

Frank Sandqvist
06-14-2015, 4:46 PM
Hi!

Does anyone here have experience with low powered Chinese CO2 laser cutters, that cut metal?

Seems they use gas assist, and that's what I'm wondering about most. Have the Chinese gotten better with oxygen safety and so on?

Otherwise, I do think the machines look very appealing. And the price is incredible if you can cut 2mm stainless with them. They also use Panasonic servo motors. Glass tube is maybe not the best, but they are cheap to replace once they go.

The cutting head looks quite good, to be honest! And the speed isn't bad for 1mm steel.

Here is a video of a G.Weike LC1326M:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uma3TZ_cHbk

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/G-weike-LC1325M-Metal-Nonmetal-Laser_60103261589.html

Dave Sheldrake
06-14-2015, 8:43 PM
Simple question Frank

How badly do you wish to die?

Mixing Oxygen into a heat process on a machine made to a price rather than a standard is a great way to relocate your home and that of your neighbours.

I wouldn't go near an imported metal cutter that used Oxygen.

That said HPC over here sell a metal cutting laser that uses the same system (and it's Chinese) BUT it has been reworked to meet stringent safety requirements.

I had a friend at the HSE here look at a direct import metal cutter and his response was as follows

"We been friends a long time haven't we Dave?"

"If you fit one of these in your workshop I will write up the violations personally"

Rich Harman
06-14-2015, 8:56 PM
Simple question Frank

How badly do you wish to die?

Mixing Oxygen into a heat process on a machine made to a price rather than a standard is a great way to relocate your home and that of your neighbours.

What is that they are doing wrong to warrant such a warning?

Dave Sheldrake
06-14-2015, 9:32 PM
Interlocks
No Blowback arrestor
Electrical intrinsic safety
Atmospheric saturation alarms
Non BSI approved oxygen lines
Mineral lubricants used on gas connections
Class IV open bed with no warning markers
Inefficient extraction for un-used gasses

The list went on and on Rich, the odd problem here and there is par for the course as you know with Chinese machines but the addition of high pressure Oxygen on a low quality machine is asking for trouble unless it's been done to a high standard and these quite simply aren't to a good standard :(

Dave Sheldrake
06-14-2015, 9:34 PM
I forgot to add, when I emailed one of the suppliers about the machines the response I got was "But you do know Oxygen isn't flammable don't you"

true...but it makes things that usually aren't...very, like overalls and clothing at the very least

Bert Kemp
06-14-2015, 11:03 PM
After nitrogen, the most abundant gas in our air is oxygen. Here's where it gets complicated: Oxygen is also not flammable, but it is a high-energy gas that very readily oxidizes other materials. For something to burn, the reaction requires a fuel (the thing that burns) and an oxidizer like oxygen.

I forgot to add, when I emailed one of the suppliers about the machines the response I got was "But you do know Oxygen isn't flammable don't you"

true...but it makes things that usually aren't...very, like overalls and clothing at the very least

Frank Sandqvist
06-15-2015, 5:17 PM
Harsh words :)

It definitely gave us something to think about. Thanks! The HPC lasers look decent, too. Slightly smaller work area than the G.Weike, though. And no 200w model...

Guess we will have to look around at different machines, and just use our common sense to figure out what will work for us.

But if anyone has additional thoughts in regards to these machines, we would really like to hear them!

Dave Sheldrake
06-15-2015, 5:36 PM
Chris at HPC can do a 220 watt :) it's the new EFR F220 with an overall length of 1,700 so shorter than the EFR ZX1850 (150 watt/180 peak)

Main think is Frank, if it sounds too good to be true and the person telling you is getting paid in any way then you have just reason to be sceptical ;)

I'm not sure where you are in the world but if it's EU/UK then you are always welcome to call and ask any questions you may suddenly have (I don't sell lasers or get paid by anybody to recommend them so the answer will always be true (even when it's not the one you hope for) ;)

+44 (0)7429 149 371

cheers

dave

Scott Shepherd
06-15-2015, 5:59 PM
I remember it like it was yesterday, I was taking a welding class at night and the teach pulled out an oxy/acet setup. He made a bet that he could cut through a 2" x 4" with only using the oxygen. We all thought he was nuts. I laid his cigarette down on the 2" x 4" held it, opened up the oxygen on a cutting torch, and it hit that cigarette, started burning right through the 2" x 4".

There's a reason they tell you no smoking near oxygen tanks :)