PDA

View Full Version : Help needed for Bandsaw power feeder

Joe Dunn Jr
06-14-2015, 12:35 PM
I recently purchased a used CoMatic AF/18A power feeder and have run into some difficulty in the installation. I have attempted to contact the current manufacturer for the last six months have been unsuccessful in getting an answer.

The 315692315691315689problem I am having is the attachment to the end of the machine with the rollers; specifically the attachment point for the large spring which uses a set screw and a locking nut on the top and bottom of the attachment. The set screws seem to nest in the top and bottom of a thick hexagonal nut that has a hole drilled into the top and bottom receive the set screws.

On my machine the diameter of each of the un-threaded end of the set screw is 13.30 mm. However, the inside diameter of that hexagonal receiving nut is 15.25 mm. This 2 mm difference creates a certain amount of "slop" which allows the feeder wheels to move in and out.

My question is, "Is this a normal condition?. if I snug both of the set screws sufficiently to eliminate that aforementioned "slop," it binds against the threaded rod that goes through the center of the large spring. Obviously that will not work.

Thank you,
Joe Dunn

Joe Dunn Jr
06-14-2015, 5:35 PM
Problem solved.

It turns out that it was a worn receiving nut. To overcome the wear problem in the future, I have machined a stainless block to replace the aluminum receiving nut. The factory receiving nut is machined straight through by the factory but that allows the two allen setscrews to make contact with the threaded rod that runs through the spring. I just used an end a mill to cut a flat bottom hole that does not penetrate the center bore. The "slop" has now been entirely eliminated and the machine functions properly.
Thank you.

Bruce Page
06-14-2015, 6:06 PM
Good fix. That should last a long time.