stan kern
06-14-2015, 11:27 AM
Has anyone used one of these ,it looks a little scarey to buff a guitar
Just picked it up and wondering if it could wreck a a body

fred marcuson
06-14-2015, 12:19 PM
it sure can wreck a body !
and a neck !!

practice on something you don't care about until you get a feel for using it ...
imo it is well worth it to get a yard sale special to practice on :)

stan kern
06-14-2015, 5:15 PM
is this a good tool

fred marcuson
06-14-2015, 6:41 PM
very good tool .wouldn't want to buff out a guitar without one. now the one i have used is an old one , i can't comment on the quality of the 'new' ones ....
also check out the grizzly buffer . very similar to the stew-mac ....

george wilson
06-16-2015, 9:37 AM
I made a slow speed buffer for myself,using Stew Mac buffs. I used pillow block bearings that I had on hand,and machined the long shaft. It works just fine. You must fine sand the finish first. Keep the buffer moving as it will build up heat and can soon melt your lacquer(I only use nitrocellulose). You do have to use discretion with a power buffer. But,I used to spend all week hand polishing a guitar,and not getting the glossy wet look I can get now.

Years ago,in the 60's,I picked up the trick of using a lamb's wool pad charged with STARCH to get that final wet look. But,the starch went everywhere,including in my mouth! Very messy. The buffer does not need the starch treatment!!

BTW,in Winter,the buffer makes a lot of static. You get a POP!!! every time you touch something. And,that pop can stop your heart,I am told by doctors. I need to ground myself before I buff another guitar in very dry weather.

John Coloccia
06-17-2015, 9:48 PM
I have a slightly older version of the StewMac buffer. It's pretty much perfect for buffing guitars. I set my belt up a little bit loose. That allows it to slip a bit when I dig into a corner, and helps prevent damaging the finish. You DO need to be a little bit careful with loose clothing, and catching on edges. You actually can hurt yourself if it catches on something and flings it, not to mention destroying your guitar. As George says, it requires some discretion. :)