PDA

View Full Version : Pet Urns - side by side lacquer and tung oil

Steve Huffman
06-14-2015, 10:47 AM
Just finished up a couple urns, and wanted to try one with the threaded screw on lid method as well, all good there, no troubles. The cherry form I left the finial a bit heavier as this is a screw on lid and didn't what it to get broken. The second walnut urn I had finished with the "shine juice" and didn't quite get the affect I was looking for. Refinished that one with tung oil and got a bit more shine than the juice finish without the high gloss glass/plastic look. It looks better under normal lighting rather than the pictured photo lighting.
Urn #1 - Cherry with walnut, ABS plastic threads, did some hand carving on the flame, airbrushed some color, finished with spray lacquer.
Urn#2 - Walnut with maple, finished in shine juice, re-sanded, refinished in tung oil and lightly buffed.

daryl moses
06-14-2015, 1:58 PM
Beauties, both of them!!

Doug Herzberg
06-14-2015, 2:41 PM
I like them both, too. Personally, I like the tung oil better, but both finishes have their merits and many prefer the gloss of the lacquer. I like the lighter finial, but I understand the rational for the thick one. Good work, Steve.

Steve Huffman
06-14-2015, 9:20 PM
Thanks guys, I too like the tung oil finish Doug. I need to change up my photo booth a bit and try to get rid of the highlights.