PDA

View Full Version : Finally. I can learn!

Roy Sanders
06-14-2015, 9:49 AM
315676315677 After months of learning CorelDraw x6 by tracing graphics to make vectors plus the breakdown of the laser with that limit switch, I produced my first engraved pen. I will post the picture of the Purple Heart I finally completed when I successfully get it engraved on a pen.

For those of you who are experts at this engraving I imagine this is a no brainer. For me though, it was a trick to figure out the Chinese assumption that I would know not to use full power, and the fastest speed. I burned up a bunch of practice dowels thinking the problem was in the drawing not my settings. Youtube is a wonderful technology, yet even they make assumptions relative to laser settings.

Thank you to the readers of this forum who answered some of my questions. I wonder if some of the experts would consider starting a thread that teaches newbies the art of power and speed settings.

Roy :)

Mike Null
06-14-2015, 10:14 AM
Settings have been proven to vary from one machine to another even on like models. All of us eventually relegate ourselves to the empirical method. But it looks like you're making progress.

gary l roberts
06-14-2015, 10:47 AM
Yes i'ts true, trail and error keep my fire pit stocked with wood.

Mike Troncalli
06-14-2015, 1:06 PM
As both Mike and Gary said above.. Trial and error to start. And... even the same laser owned by two different people can give different results. Find a nice little notebook somewhere and keep it by your machine. Start taking notes every time you engrave or cut a new material.. Speed, power, etc. etc.. There have been attempts in the past to try and put together a chart of materials and settings for everyone to use, but that is an almost impossible feat as no two machines will cut or engrave the same..

Bert Kemp
06-14-2015, 2:17 PM
Roy it would also be helpful if you listed your equipment in your signature.

315676315677 After months of learning CorelDraw x6 by tracing graphics to make vectors plus the breakdown of the laser with that limit switch, I produced my first engraved pen. I will post the picture of the Purple Heart I finally completed when I successfully get it engraved on a pen.

For those of you who are experts at this engraving I imagine this is a no brainer. For me though, it was a trick to figure out the Chinese assumption that I would know not to use full power, and the fastest speed. I burned up a bunch of practice dowels thinking the problem was in the drawing not my settings. Youtube is a wonderful technology, yet even they make assumptions relative to laser settings.

Thank you to the readers of this forum who answered some of my questions. I wonder if some of the experts would consider starting a thread that teaches newbies the art of power and speed settings.

Roy :)